Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 11th, 2016 23:00

Computer won't boot, Error 2000-0142? What number do I call?

My computer's hard drive has malfunctioned. When I boot it of course it says "No Bootable Devices - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics." I know I can't do anything to fix the faulty drive now and I need a new one but my computer is still under warranty ending on July 16th. So, all I really need to know is what number do I need to call in order to fix my computer? My computer model is a 7348 Inspiron 13 by the way.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 12th, 2016 04:00

In the US,

Home Users In Warranty
1-800-624-9896

2K Posts

June 12th, 2016 09:00

Hi RICSTERJCOLE,

Its apparent that the HDD has failed and needs to be replaced. What is the current OS installed on the system? Do you have the OS media required to be reinstalled on the new HDD? Do you have data backed up? The old HDD would be collected back to Dell(unless you have purchased the Keep Your Hard Drive warranty).

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name, Phone, Address and Email) for case records and we can help book a service call depending on the warranty you have.

Keep us updated.

June 12th, 2016 22:00

Will do with the private message. To answer your questions, the computer was running on Windows 10 before my HDD malfunctioned and I don't believe I have the OS media required to reinstall it on the new one. Where would I get it? Also, I unfortunately didn't backup a single thing before the faulty drive malfunctioned.

2K Posts

June 13th, 2016 08:00

Hi RICSTERJCOLE,

Thank you for the update.

Download the OS media online - see this link for more info - http://dell.to/1JsMeJg 

If you have important data on the machine, then you could get an external caddy from a local store and connect the HDD to another machine and backup any possible data, provided the HDD is being detected on another system. If not, you could get the data recovered from a local tech, however that would be an expensive procedure. 

I also need the service tag of the system, could you kindly private message me the same.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 14th, 2016 05:00

The hard drive has failed. Try to recover your data from it before sending it to get fixed:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/data-recovery-using-fedora/

No Events found!