Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2009 21:00

[Confirmed Issue] IDT Audio Application is broken [Win7 64bit]

The current IDT audio driver Application for windows 7 64bit really needs to be fixed. It's making my Skype as well as my audio system unusable. The sound cuts out after a while (most notable after attempting to use Skype) and volume mixer constantly hangs and crashes when or after Skype has been opened.

Only remedy is to uninstall the driver and use the default Windows supplied drivers, but this kills the ability to use the second headphone jack. I have to literally choose between having a second headphone jack or not having Skype.

Also, I know this is a driver issue because this issue has arisen even after I've done a full clean installation of Windows 7 from the ground up, and after installing the IDT control panel, the problems from the previous installation came back.

This needs to be fixed. I have a Dell Studio 1555.

EDIT: I also can confirm that this EXACT SAME ISSUE is present on my friend's XPS 1530 that also has Win7 64 bit. It's the IDT application, no doubt about it.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 11th, 2009 03:00

Do you have Skype V 4.1 (or later)?  That seems to be Windows 7 compatible.  Doing a google search there seems to be problems with older versions and maybe it's Skype rather than the IDT audio.

Keep in mind Skype must be made to work with the hardware, not the hardware made to work with a software application. 

15 Posts

December 11th, 2009 07:00

I am running the most current Skype, which is 4.1. The problem still exists. Remember, I just did a fresh install, everything on the machine is as latest as it can be because I redownloaded all program install files and drivers.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 11th, 2009 10:00

Other than Skype, does everything else work OK?  If it does it would not be the PC's hardware (and drivers).  Also, remember - the software application program has to be compatible with the PC - not the PC compatible with the one software application.  That would be like adding some aftermarket (not manufacturer) accessory to your car and then if it didn't fit correctly or work correctly asking your car manufacturer to make it work.

15 Posts

December 11th, 2009 12:00

Other than Skype, Volume mixer hangs/crashes due to the driver, and I occasionally have my web browser hang and crash when loading something like a flash video object on youtube (presumably due to the sound driver tweaking out). I also notice that my sound just completely stops working occasionally, and when I open volume mixer to do a sound test, volume mixer crashes.

I have also done some searching and have discovered that I am not the only one who is having issues with the IDT driver.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 12th, 2009 10:00

There is no otgher IDT driver that I know of.  I just looked over a post, on a different thread, from one of our regulars that is more familiar with Laptops and he says there is no other IDT/Win 7 driver.

With the other problems you are having, I'm wondering if it's something more than the sound driver, especially with the web browser crashing. 

15 Posts

December 12th, 2009 12:00

I think the web browsing freezing issue went away after I reinstalled the OS, but my main bone to pick with the audio driver is Skype. Skype does not work with this IDT driver. I dont even have to be using anything audio-related in skype and it will still crash because of it (even chat causes it to crash). I know it is the driver because before I installed the IDT control panel, this issue did not arise.

The reason I installed the IDT control panel is because my Dell Studio 15 has two headphone jacks and one of those two jacks doesn't work unless you have the program installed.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 13th, 2009 03:00

It looks like you will have choose between the two jacks or Skype working. From past experiences  Dell generally does not issue new drivers unless it does not work to their published spec's and usually add on software is not part of their specs. 

If you haven't done it, post this on the Windows 7 forum and see if someone there has something to help you.  That forum covers all PC's, not just Dell.

15 Posts

December 14th, 2009 20:00

I can confirm that it is the IDT application that is causing this problem. After uninstalling it, Skype now works again but I cannot use both headphone jacks simultaneously. This is most unfortunate.

EDIT: I have confirmed the issue to be the IDT Application being broken in WIn7 64bit, see more in my first post that has been edited.

3 Posts

December 24th, 2009 06:00

Same problem. I fixed it for a few weeks by uninstalling the IDT driver and reinstalling it. but now it's done it again. Any program which uses sound crashes. Including parts of windows, WMP, browsers etc. Currently reverted to the windows drivers, but lose all that extra functionality.

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 14:00

i just wanted to add that i am having similar problems with the newest 32 bit IDT audio drivers... i upgraded an inspiron 1525  from windows vista 32 bit,  to windows 7 32 bit and both  Skype and Audacity have major audio issues .  In Audacity,  the record function is totally broken even with line in connected to headphone out  jack...in Skype the audio out constantly drops out. Skype and Audacity had both worked fine before the upgrade to windows 7.  After a fair amount of research on various forum sites, this seems to be a fairly common occurance with windows 7 and sigmatel / IDT chips especially  the  SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio drivers.

weeks ago the hdmi sound out was broken too, but  I got it fixed by checking out these forums and upgrading to newer intel hdmi drivers that came out a week or two after the official release of windows 7.  I hope a fix for the IDT drivers can be found  in as timely a fashion..

1 Message

January 7th, 2010 17:00

I have the same problem and it's annoying the hell out of me. Furthermore, IDT audio detects my external speakers as headphones. When i click on the jack icon to change it, the window flashes and returns to headphone 'mode'. Does anyone else get that?

15 Posts

January 9th, 2010 13:00

Can you confirm that this stops Skype from freezing/screwing up and also lets you use both headphone jacks?

7 Posts

January 9th, 2010 13:00

I fixed this issue by control panel/sound/ default speakers/properties/enhancements.....disable enhancements

Before I did this I contacted Dell by e-mail several times.   Uninstalled and reinstalled IDT driver.....stll would get freezes when using any media program...

Then Dell suggested I call  tech support , for a "small fee"....no way....New computer with clean install of Windows 7....I searched the net and found above suggestion.

Haven't had a frozen program for several weeks now.

1 Message

January 9th, 2010 14:00

This poster is right. I think I managed to fix the issue from within Skype.

In Skype, under General > Audio Settings > Ringing, I selected "use default speaker" instead of "ring on all devices" and now my notifications don't interrupt WMP. Someone else confirm that this indeed works? it seems strange that the notifications are classified as rings.

Hope it works for you guys!

Cheers

7 Posts

January 9th, 2010 15:00

I do not use SKYPE but none of my multimedia applications or flash player freeze up anymore

Both headphone jacks work fine

No Events found!