Highlighted
Not applicable

Connect external stereo (record player) to M90 laptop?

Hi,

I am new to laptop audio.

I have a great home stereo that has my record player connected

to a professional DJ mixer (Newmark CM-100) via "RCA" cables

, then to amp (again via RCA-s), then speakers.

I would like to digitize LP records into my M90 laptop.

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Re: Connect external stereo (record player) to M90 laptop?

Run a cable from a set of outputs on the mixer to the "mic" input on the right side of your laptop. The plug that goes into the input jack needs to be a stereo eighth inch mini-plug. The other end of the cable that goes to the mixer should split out to two rca plugs. The mic jack on the laptop doubles as a stereo line-in jack. When you insert a plug into you should see a popup box on the screen asking you to identify whether it is a mic or line in you inserted. Select line-in, but if you don't see a popup box then it is probably set to line-in by default. Check your recording control to make sure that line-in is select as the recording signal source.

The ability to hear the signal through the computer's speakers is disabled by default (there is a way to enable monitoring if you need to) so you have to use another method to check to make sure a signal is getting through. Send an audio signal from the mixer to the computer.

Open Windows Sound Recorder under Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment.

Click on the red Record button. If the green line moves then the signal is getting through. To hear the recording click on stop and then the 1st arrow to go back to the beginning. Click play.

If the sound is distorted then the recording level is too high. Lower the recording level. You can judge the level by the green line in SR. If it jumps beyond the boundaries of its window then the level is too high.

Sound Recorder will only record for 60 seconds and is rudimentary so you will need a better recording program. If you don't have one there is a popular free recorder that is also a graphic audio editor named Audacity. You can use an editor to trim the gap between tracks, among many other things. But the first thing is to get the hardware setup and make sure it works.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

jimco,

thanks for the most-excellently-clear posting.

(I am at the library using their internet, so I have not implemented your instructions yet.

Also, I will need to get the cable.)

So the mic input IS stereo -- that was one of my concerns;

also, I was concerned about the line level compatability.

I have the software Audacity already installed 🙂

I have updated the Sigmatel driver so that I see the "Stereo Mixer" in the options ;

?will that enable the monitoring of the level?

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

I have updated the Sigmatel driver so that I see the "Stereo Mixer" in the options ;

?will that enable the monitoring of the level?

"Stereo mix" is a different signal source from "line-in" so you don't want to use it for recording your records. Stereo mix is a source that will allow you to record certain sounds that pass through the sound card, namely CD, wav, MIDI, and streaming audio.

To enable monitoring, see How to Enable Input Monitoring, Instruction Set Three, for driver R171789. But I would not use monitoring to set the recording level. Use the meters in Audacity (and in the mixer if it has output meters) for accurate gain staging.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos