Highlighted
elaine898
1 Nickel

Connect to the Internet using my wireless connection on a Dell Studio 1555

I have a wireless router and a Dell Studio 1555 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, which I set up for internet service quite some time ago.  Everthing was working perfectly until I recently took a trip out of state.  Somehow I turned off the wireless connection, and now that I'm home, I cannot connect to the internet.  In the Network and Sharing Center, it shows that my PC is connected to the network, but a red "X" indicates that the network is not connected to the internet.  In the box below this, it says that Access is Local only, and then shows the name of my wireless connection.  The Signal Strength is listed as excellent.  Under Sharing and Discovery, all sharing is off, except for Password Protected Sharing.  Can someone help me connect to the internet?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mary G
5 Iridium

Re: Connect to the Internet using my wireless connection on a Dell Studio 1555

A reset of the network might help. Unplug the electric power from both the router and modem and turn off the computers. Then turn on by plugging in the power to the Modem first and wait 2 minutes until all the lights are working, then reconnect the power to the router and wait again while it communicates with the modem, then turn on the computer.

0 Kudos
elaine898
1 Nickel

Thanks so much for your prompt response, Mary!  However, your solution did not work.  I think that part of the problem is my being such a novice!!  Frankly, although I'm embarassed to admit it, I don't even know how to turn on the wireless adapter on my laptop!!  Could that be the problem?  I've pressed the Function, F2 keys, thinking that this might get me connected, but it didn't seem to work (don't laugh!).  Any more suggestions?

0 Kudos
russms
1 Copper

Don't be embarrassed.  The problem was probably more complicated than something wrong with the network settings or you having accidentally flipped a switch to turn off wireless connectivity.  (Your post was a few months back so I hope you got it resolved by now!)

I am actually having a similar problem, and I can't find a solution in these forums or elsewhere on the Internet.  My computer is also Studio 1555 with the Dell 1397 wireless card.  The other day, my wireless card suddenly stopped picking up any network signals, and it continues not to be able to do so, even though there are multiple networks within range.  (And if there is any doubt about the problem being with the network or my computer, not that I am typing this post from another laptop computer connected wirelessly to my home network without any problems.)  I just have a red "x" in the network monitor in the taskbar and Windows tells me that wireless connectivity is turned off.  The Studio 1555 does not have an external wireless switch that I could have turned off by accident.  Moreover, the computer recognizes that the wireless card is there; it just isn't picking up any network signals.  I have tried uninstalling and then re-installing the driver for the wireless card, as well as rolling the computer back to a restore point a couple of days before the wireless card stopped working.  Neither has succeeded.

My fear is that there might be some form of hardware problem.  My last laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1520) had a similar problem and it turned out that the cause was a hardware compatibility issue, if I recall correctly.  The solution was to install a Dell-provided update to slightly different model of computer.  I hope the cause of my current problem is not something similar.

Has anyone had any success in dealing with this problem?

0 Kudos
annie061983
1 Copper

?
0 Kudos