Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2015 09:00

Connecting XPS 13 (9350) to 4K monitor using Thunderbolt 3

The new XPS 13 (9350) has adopted a Thunderbolt 3 port instead of Mini DisplayPort for connecting external monitors. The XPS 13 web page states:

Thunderbolt™ 3 supports: 
        Power in / charging 
        PowerShare 
        Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional) 
        USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) 
        Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output 
        VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately)

It goes on:

Thunderbolt™ 3 multi-use port allows you to charge your laptop, connect to multiple devices (including support for up to two 4K displays) and enjoy data transfers up to 40Gbps, 8 times that of a USB 3.0.

I now want to make use of the "Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output" in order to connect a 4K monitor, but it seems to be impossible.

After many hours on the phone to various departments in Dell, I'm assured that they don't sell any Thunderbolt 3 accessories yet. They'll be releasing a Thunderbolt 3 dock next year (TB15), but for now the best they can offer is a USB-C to HDMI adapter, which only supports a maximum resolution of 1080p.

So... the sales blurb says this laptop natively supports DisplayPort 1.2, but how are we meant to use it?

2 Posts

November 25th, 2015 14:00

I got sold the new Dell Adapter - USB Type-C to HDMI/VGA/Ethernet/USB 3.0, DA200, to connect my monitor via HDMI, but everything works, but the HDMI.

Dell techs have tried to get the HDMI to work, but no success. They now claim that that DA200 only supports the XPS12, not the XPS 13.

Seems like a bit of weak answer for a USB C adapter... especially as it's pictured in the photos and in the accessories section of the Dell XPS 13 page.

They said I can get a full refund, but doesn't really solve the problem of no external monitor.

Had the same problem with a USB C to DisplayPort adapter... I feel like HDMI and DisplayPort over USB C isn't quite locked down yet.

I guess we wait for driver updates...

December 2nd, 2015 20:00

Hi,

I found a solution. I confirmed that both the Monoprice USB-C Male to DisplayPort Male and the VisionTek Products USB 3.1 Type C to Displayport Adapter (900817) will both deliver 4k (3840 × 2160) at 60 Hz with the XPS 13.

The key was to disable MST on the monitor and not to plug anything into the display port OUTPUT on the monitor. Then I was able to get 60 fps on the monitor at 4k.

So, the adapters are using a legacy mode that has limited bandwidth, but the bandwidth is sufficient for one 4k display @ 60Hz, not anything more than that. As soon as I would plug in a second display, the resolution or frame rate would drop.

Hopefully the Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB15) will solve this and allow two 4k displays @ 60Hz. Until then, both of these cables will work. I also just updated to the latest BIOS and Thunderbolt firmware. I will see if that helps the situation.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2016 15:00

YES! I confirm that for a XPS 12 (9250) with a DELL 4k display (P2415Q)

Running 3840x2160 @60 Hz with this cable:

https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_displayport_cable

No other adapter delivered the 60Hz at the full resolution, but this one does!

Poor DELL! I have a wd15 dock wich delivers only 30 Hz for a 4k@60 Hz graphics card in combination with a DELL 4k@60 Hz display. The dock has been the bottlekneck. No one counts the hours I spent with buying several adapters, installing / deinstalling drivers, deaktivating display features and rebooting my XPS 12. Microsoft with it's surface and surface book seems to be a better and more comfortable / compatible solution...

August 9th, 2016 23:00

I have a brand new (bought July 2016) Dell XPS 13 (9350) and a Sumsung 4K monitor.  I bought the google DP1.2 cable mentioned here and yes it does drive the external 4K monitor at 60Hz.

BUT ... and this is a big but ... periodically the monitor would go black for a second.  It happens when you are scrolling a lot on web pages or basically asking the monitor to display a lot of content (that's the clue ... i.e. it is bandwidth issue).

Here's the list of things that other threads suggest that didn't work for me ...

1. I flashed the BIOS and updated all the firmware / drivers
  2. Dialed back the Dell Wireless 1820A Wire 802.11ac apater's Power Output to 75%
  3. Set the wireless to Airplane Mode (when on ethernet of course)

Here's what did work ...

1. Changed the Samsung monitor to be DP1.1 (down from DP1.2)

And yes that means that it is only driven at 30Hz rather than 60Hz and the mouse dragging / scrolling is noticeably less smooth but at least it is still 3840x2160 resolution .. and it doesn't go black for a few seconds every 5 seconds!

So pretty disappointing for £2000 worth of kit ...

@Dell, do let me know when you fix your graphics card to drive DP1.2 properly.

November 24th, 2015 17:00

I'm dealing with the same issue...new hardware and the key accessories are lagging...hopefully it's early 2016 and not late 2016 when the dock comes out

November 25th, 2015 18:00

Me and a good friend just replaced Surface Books for the XPS 15 9550 and we both have the duel Dell 4K P2715Q monitors.  The best I can do right now is connect one of the two to the HDMI port which is giving me 3840 x 2160 at 30hz.  So no better than the Surface Book.  I am looking forward to the TB 3 Dock, which I would expect give me support for 60hz for both monitors but need to confirm this.  

Ah.. the price we pay for being early adopters of new tech!

November 26th, 2015 01:00

I wish I'd known quite how new this version of the XPS 13 laptop was.  If I'd realised it had only been on the market for a week or two, I'd have avoided it.  Two valuable lessons learned though:

1) Always check that new tech has been around long enough time to iron out the problems, and for support staff to know what it is

2) Dell's customer service is absolutely atrocious these days.  My past experiences have been fairly good, but my word, they're awful now (and I've spoken to a lot of people at Dell in the last few weeks!)

If the laptop itself wasn't so brilliant, I'd have sent it back.

November 29th, 2015 13:00

I hear you and do agree, there is a price ot pay for being an early adoptor.  Something I have been most of my life.  Sometimes it creates minor inconveniences and other times it can be a disaster.  I did find the Dell USB3 display dock as an short term solution on sale for $99, while I wait for the TB15 dock.  Hopefully early next year.

2 Posts

November 29th, 2015 22:00

I got the DA200 as well. It worked with VGA (1080p) but not HDMI (1080p) initially. It works with HDMI after I applied the latest Dell firmware patch: Intel_TBT3-NVM12_FK6KK_02.05.04_A00v2_SETUP_ZPE.exe. I also applied the a BIOS patch as well XPS_9350_1.0.5.exe.

However, disappointed that it cannot output to VGA and HDMI for a dual monitor setup. I am looking to grab an external USB 3 to HDMI/Displayport adapter to get around this.

November 30th, 2015 08:00

I'm also stuck with this problem! 

I bought the Monoprice USB-C Male to DisplayPort Male, but it is limited to 30 Hz at 4k resolution. Useless!

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12908

Anyone find another cable that works? 

November 30th, 2015 17:00

I bought the same cable but I never was able to see anything being displayed. A waste of $30 dollars.

I have a XPS 15 9550.

I am currently running my P2715Q monitor using the HDMI port. I get the 3840 x 2160 resolution but at 30 Hz.  which is far from optimal.

I just spent $ 2,500 dollars (Laptop and Monitor) to get my eyes tortured by a horrible refresh rate.

I thought my new laptop had a mini display port besides the new and useless Thunderbolt 3.0 port.

December 1st, 2015 05:00

I'm returning the monoprice cable. Mine stopped working completely as well. I've ordered this adapter now, plus a regular display port to display port cable. We'll see if that works better. Their description says 4k @ 60 Hz...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157RVTDW

December 1st, 2015 08:00

I wish you luck. Let's us know if it works. I will certainly get the same setup as you if it did.

December 1st, 2015 12:00

Please let me know if this works.  I have the same problem.

1 Message

December 2nd, 2015 08:00

Cartland, I am having the same problems as the others, but your interim solution would work for me--  can you let me know exactly what model number you ordered (I searched for DA 200 on Dell and can't find it anywhere)?  Thanks in advance.

No Events found!