Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2016 14:00

Connecting XPS 15 (9550) to monitor using TB15 Dock

I received my TB15 dock yesterday and connected it to my XPS15 9550 allowing me to finally connect to an external monitor,  The monitor is a several year old Dell with 1920/1200 resolution and I connected it to the TB15 via a standard VGA cable.  I immediately noticed that any text displayed wasn't nearly as crisp as when I use the Monitor directly from an older XPS laptop which has VGA output.  I called Dell Support but other than checking for current version of drivers could offer no suggestions.  

I won't be able to use the monitor connected this way as it is far to blurry so will return the TB15.  Is this blurriness to be expected or does anyone have a workaround?  I see comments on some lower priced adapters that the video quality is somewhat degraded when using the usb-c connector but did not expect this from the TB15. 

Thanks
Allan

380 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 15:00

You might try a HDMI to VGA adapter and connect that to the 9550'S onboard HDMI out plug. I don't know about the quality of those adapters, but it might be worth a try. There are a number of issues with the TB15 that really need to be resolved before it becomes viable.

JohnD

21 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 17:00

You didn't say what monitor model you have, but if it's 1920x1200 it has some digital inputs, HDMI or DVI, if not even DisplayPort. If it uses DVI get yourself a simple HDMI to DVI cable and connect this to the dock. Don't use VGA cable for LCD monitors, if you absolutely have to - there are usually items on the monitor menu to tune analog signal, they are somewhere in manual image adjustment menu. One of the items will be "auto adjust"  - enabling it will get you best possible picture, but still nowhere near the sharpness of digital signal.  

3 Posts

March 6th, 2016 04:00

My monitor is a DELL U2412M, it has VGA, DVI and DisplayPort inputs, no HDMI.  I'll try and locate a HDMI to DVI cable.  I tried the auto adjust with the TB15 and it made no difference.  I see there are USB-C to VGA adapters available but I'm not sure if the same issue with clarity will happen when using this (is the clarity problem specifically with the USB-C interface) 

No Events found!