Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2011 12:00

Connection Issues

I have a Dell D620 laptop and I need to know how to connect it to a Mackie 1402vlz3 mixer.  I am trying to go digital with Karaoke and I have most of the software and hardware.  Just need some help with connection issues.  Which cables and from what USB ports? I am a newbie and need step by step instructions.  Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 7th, 2011 14:00

Which cables and from what USB ports?

Hello. I just took a look at the 1402-VLZ3 connection diagram (click on link to see it) and it does not appear to have any usb ports, so you cannot connect it to your laptop that way.

I don't see any digital ports at all on the mixer, so you would have to use analog connections. On the laptop those would be:

> Headphone jack -- this doubles as the line-out jack. By using this jack you can send 2 channels of audio out to the mixer. Using various cables (I don't have time right now to find pictures of them) you would connect to 2 of the inputs that are by the keyboard on the hookup diagram -- the line level inputs.

> Microphone jack -- this doubles as the line-in jack. By using this jack you can send 2 channels of audio from the mixer into the laptop. There are probably several output jacks on the mixer you can use, but probably the "tape out" would be a good choice.

Hope this helps. If you need more please describe what exactly you want to do with the mixer and what with the laptop.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2011 17:00

The USB ports are all the same - contact the hardware manufacturer for the cables you'll need (the system uses plain old A connector USB cables).

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 7th, 2011 18:00

contact the hardware manufacturer for the cables you'll need

The mixer that the OP specified is an analog mixer that does not have usb ports.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 7th, 2011 19:00

Here is a cable you could use to make the connections.

The red and white ends are called "RCA plugs" (also known as "phono plugs") and they can go into the mixer's "tape in" or "tape out" jacks. Those jacks accept RCA plugs.

The little plug on the other end of the cable is a 3.5 mm stereo plug (also known as an "1/8" mini plug"). That can go into either of the laptops audio jacks.

You would need two of these cables (for a total of 6 plugs). The connections would be as follows, just as if the laptop were a tape recorder:

> From the laptop's headphone jack to mixer's tape in jacks.

> From mixer's tape out jacks to laptop's mic jack.

You can get cables like that from many sources. There are different qualities and lengths depending on your needs. Here is one place to get them:

Newegg stereo cables

The above suggestion is not the only way to connect. Your mixer has several line level jacks that accept  "1/4" mono phone" plugs. (Quarter inch plugs). That is the full size plugs that you see on the end of a guitar cable. However to use those with the laptop's 3.5mm stereo jack will require additional adapters. If you want to connect that way, it might be easiest for you to go to a Radio Shack store and describe the jacks you want to connect and let them set you up with the adapters to allow them to connect.

No Events found!