Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2014 16:00

Constant noise XPS 13 haswell (9333)

Just to add to the statistics, my two month old XPS 13 haswell developer edition also suffers from the highly disturbing coil whine noise that seem to plague the entire xps models at the moment. Adding to the misery I also got the screen with the severe backbleeding issues that have been reported by others. The coil whine can be modulated by changing the CPU load, adjusting the keyboard backlight brightness or connecting peripherals to the usb ports. This makes me suspect that the voltage regulation modules on the motherboard are setup inappropriately.  

The support from Dell (Scandinavia) has been subpar (just like everywhere else on the forums covering the topic) and it seems Dell is just sticking their heads in the sand and hoping this embarrassing situation will resolve itself. Despite the fact they know about this issue, they continue to produce and ship their new flagship model like nothing has happened. This arrogance is disturbing. I really wanted this line of computers to be a game changer for Dell, and hoped they had left "dell hell". But apparently they are still entrenched in the progress trap they fail to realize they are in, clinging to a business model and poor engineering that belong to the past. Goodbye Dell. 

April 13th, 2014 14:00

I'd like to purchase an XPS 13 but have found the comments on the coil whine quite off putting. Yesterday in a chat with a Dell person I asked if this had been corrected. She replied "As I double checked Rita, the electrical noise concern has been raised to us already and w have modified it." Do you think this is reliable? Has it been fixed? Should I buy the machine?

1 Message

May 6th, 2014 17:00

The answer is no. I'm about to return my Dell XPS 13 9333 because of the noise right now.

There are many possible sources for this kind of electrical noise. My previous laptop made this noise because of its dodgy power adapter; unplugging it made the noise go away. It was easy to track down a compatible power adapter that was not defective, and the noise was gone for good. This problem is different. It happens even when unplugged. Even when the fan is off. The XPS 13 has no hard drive, but an SSD, so that's not it either.

Some people have reported being able to quiet down the noise by turning off (or on) the keyboard backlight, or plugging something in the left (or right, it depends) USB outlet. Some people have reported better success with USB2 devices, others with USB3 - I have had no luck with these approaches.

But then, that's not the only problem my model has: the trackpad is on crooked, so one corner sticks out from the case. The screen itself is on crooked, so the backlight leaks through in some spots, from the top and bottom edges. It's a shame such a beautiful, powerful machine is let down by such shoddy workmanship.

Thankfully, the people working at tech support and customer service have been super-nice. I'm tempted to roll the dice a second time, one of my colleagues has the same model and it's flawless. But given how badly mine was done, I'm not sure.

3 Posts

November 6th, 2015 14:00

Dell support is unwilling to take mine back and wants me to pay for a support ticket while denying that this problem exists, so they can't tell me whether they have a fix for it.

Is there a known fix that Dell has for this issue or is all the component swapping not helping anything?

I just got off the phone with escalated support and after having him mailed this and other dell community forums threads on this issue he flatout denied that this issue is know to Dell. Multiple times. No matter what I said, he denied this is a thing and as long as I pay for the support ticket they'll fix it and I will have 90 days warranty on the swapped components, huh?

Oh yeah I have to pay for the support ticket. Even though I first called Dell and reported this issue while I had still warranty they played endless phone forwarding loop leaving me for hours on hold with reps that were clueless as how to help me. Not knowing what to do Dell took its sweet time to let my warranty expire instead of helping me fix it, following up or anything. Last time I called I was an hour on hold and never made it through to a person.

Now should I pay the support ticket, will they be able to fix it? I love this computer (9333) but the noise is making me crazy, and the way Dell handles this issue even more ..

I looked at MacBooks and they weren't quite the right thing for me, what alternatives are out there? (portable, powerful, running linux without too much hassle)

Thank you all!

No Events found!