Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2016 09:00

Continuous connection to a WD15 docking station.

My XPS 13 9350 can sometimes feel a bit warm (through the keyboard) when it's been connected to the WD15 for a length of time. CPU temps aren't out of control but it did make me wonder if it could be harmful having my laptop connected as often as it can be to the docking station. Because it uses the WD15 to connect to a number of peripherals (the ports that work of course - I still have no USB 3.0 use), I have it connected more often then I would if only to charge the battery. So... could this lead to harm or diminished capacity for my battery?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 27th, 2016 16:00

Hi benefit5,

If you are feeling the the system is overheating. I would suggest you to update the BIOS to the latest on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the operating system, and then download the BIOS from the BIOS section onto the system and install it.

Also, please run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

21 Posts

September 28th, 2016 19:00

Thank you for responding to my post. As mentioned, it's not overheating I was asking about. The warmth of my XPS led me to wonder if continued connection to my WD15 (as it is connected far more often and longer than a simple charger) could affect the overall health of the laptop's battery.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 30th, 2016 05:00

Hi benefit5,

Dell comprehensively does quality check before it releases a product. Any electronic device would get warm as voltage passes through it. If there is any problem with the product as Its covered under hardware warranty we will check and replace it.

No Events found!