Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2010 07:00

Cooling/Heating on Dell Studio 1558

Hello,

I just received my Dell Studio 1558 two days ago.  So far I have just used it on my desk so it had enough room for ventilation and such.  I've noticed that the keypad/area surrounding is getting very hot, while this laptop is very new to me I had done pretty extensive research before purchasing it.  The dell laptops I've had in the past while they do get hot sometimes, it was never to this high temperature.  The reason I'm posting is that I will be taking this laptop off to school with me in about 2 months and it will be traveling to class/library/etc with me and I do not with to have a heat issue.

The specs for my Studio 1558:

i7-820QM, Quad Core CPU

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 1GB

500 GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Disk Drive

I assume from just looking at the outside of the laptop the processor is located directly below the keypad.  Also from reading other reviews from about 6months ago there have been some heating problems, all of which seemed a bit more focused around gaming overheating the laptop though.  I've only used the laptop moderately to browse the web and download some programs, no games/word processing/spreadsheets or anything such as that yet. 

I will continue using it over the next few days to see if anything changes. If you have any advice or knowledge on this matter I would greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks in advance,

Sean

September 16th, 2012 06:00

Hi, 

I have found a brilliant solution that will fix your heat problem.

Step.1 Get your hoover out .

Step.2 Locate your CPU fan/heat sink .

Note: Don't open up your laptop as this will void your warranty.

Step.3 If your hoover has a high setting turn it on and start to hoover out the CPU fan/heat-sink.

Step.4 Hold the hoover over the CPU fan/heat-sink for about 1-2 minutes.

And then your laptop should run allot cooler i tried this and mine run idle at 50-60 degrees now it runs idle at 30-40 degrees.

I hope this solves your problem as it has solved mine.

I also recommend upgrading to a 9 cell battery as it increases the air flow for the CPU fan/heat-sink.

Thanks for reading.

1 Message

December 21st, 2013 14:00

DellStudio1558 I5 thank you very much for your suggestion, it fixed my overheating issue - I was about the throw my Laptop out the window.

HWmonitor was showing 98C and I had occasional shutdowns. Touchpad was super hot and stopped working after a few minutes.

After doing the hoover trick, my computer runs at 68C and Touchpad is completely cold.

Problem fixed!

10 Posts

July 9th, 2014 02:00

I have to thank "DellStudio1558 i5" for recommending the "Hoover" trick (vacuum, to us USA readers).

For about a year I've been at my wits end: every time I played a video, CPU utilization according to Windows Task Manager would gradually climb to 100% and stay there, even after the video had finished.  The only way to fix it was to shut the machine down, wait five minutes and reboot.  It would then work until the next video came along, whereupon the cycle would repeat.  With videos embedded in so many web sites, this made my work very frustrating.  I updates every software component and driver, and ran every malware scan I could find, all to no avail.

When I read DellStudio1558 i5's Hoover suggestion, I thought it is fast and can't hurt, so why not give it a try.  First I installed SpeedFan from http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php to monitor my CPU core temperatures.  When the CPU utilization reached 90%, the core temperatures reached 90 C.

I shut the machine down and flipped it over.  I held the hose of my home's central vacuum system up against each of the vent openings on the sides and bottom of the machine for several minutes. Then I put the vacuum away and returned the machine to normal service. This reduced the operating temps of Core 0 and Core 1 from 80 C down to 45 C during normal web surfing, and from 90 C down to 55C when playing a video. So far I have watched a few videos without the 100% CPU slowdown problem.  I am amazed that five minutes of non-invasive vacuuming could make such a huge difference!  To think I suffered with this problem for a year and was about to junk my Studio 1558 in favor of a brand new computer, only to find that five minutes with a powerful vacuum cleaner could make such a huge difference.

3 Posts

August 18th, 2015 06:00

Thx a lot.

After a half a year struggling and considering to buy a new Dell...

I had a look myself again to my suns computer.

Diagnosis programs showed a memory issue; Microsoft pointed to hardware and temperature.

I noticed the strange, high temperature and searched for a temperature monitor: lucky me, I found speedfan. This program confirmed that the temperature went up higher than 90C for both CPUs.

After the trick with the vacuum cleaner I configured the fan with speedfan as well in order to keep the temperature less than 50C  for CPU0, and CPU1 and GDU.

It helped but in case of Chrome I notice that still the temperature is going up.. the fan speeds up..

Now we are examining if it helps by keeping the bottom more open. ?

Thx anyway

4 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 08:00

Hi, do you have any news on this? How is it going?

15 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 08:00

check if there is any option to switch the cooling fan on @ a lower temperature, from the BIOS

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 09:00

So after another day or so of use it seems to be just the norm that the touch-pad/area around it runs warm to the touch.  It's nothing ridiculous it just originally felt out of the ordinary.  I haven't had a chance to check the bios to see if I can lower the temp the fan turns on at just yet.  I've just been using a wireless mouse instead to avoid using it.

I've tried to do as much as I can to push the processor and see if the heat would be enough to crash it but so far it's held up well.  Watching HD movie/while browsing the web/playing music/downloading applications all at the same time and never saw any hiccups.

Now my only worry is whether it will overheat if I put it on my lap while sitting down, up to this point is has been using only on my desk.

I'll update this again in a day or so when I get some more free time to play with it. But as of now my initial concern has subsided.

-Sean

2 Posts

September 29th, 2010 20:00

The exact same problem is happening to my dell studio 1558. The touchpad area is gets extremely hot after an hour of mere web browsing. This is a design issue of dell studio 1558 and i think dell should make a note of it and do something about it. The reason i am saying it is design issue because i ordered dell studio 1558 used it for 1 week , realized this problem , made a complaint to dell . Dell replaced my laptop and i got a new machine of same config and the problem persist. And guess what I have 3 dell studio 1558 in my apartment (my room mates also ordered them) and they are having the exact same touchpad heating problem. So what i am trying to say is its not that i got a faulty laptop by chance, its a design issue.

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM DELL READS THIS.

2 Posts

May 4th, 2011 06:00

Did you figure out how to check the BIOS for a lower temp?  I haven't figured that out.

I had another XPS and it was running hot and failing alot, so Dell replaced it with a 1558 Studio.  I had some motherboard problems in January (new in July), and it was replaced 3 times.  Now I had a hard drive failure, and the new (refurbished) hard drive is running hot.  Toooooo hot---after 30 minutes of being online for email.  The power consumption is dramatically deceased on battery since the fan runs continuously now, and it's still hot.  Plus many of the features of the Dell 1558 aren't installed or available with this different hard drive.

Called Dell, now they want to replace the hard drive, the motherboard, the memory and more. Seems like it's be cheaper to give me a different model (my warranty goes til January)....the tech time has been costly I'm certain.  Now I will have an old machine again---with all refurbished parts. 

I'm planning on another computer---it'll not be a DELL, not because tech support they send isn't good, it's that I can't have this many repairs with my machine without taking way too much of my time, and we don't trust the machine.

4 Posts

May 7th, 2011 08:00

It's actually the hard drive which is causing the touch pad area to get warm. I brought the Dell Studio 1558 in September 2010 (Core i7 720QM, 8gb DDR3, ATI 5470, 500gb HDD, Full HD WLED, Backlit Keyboard, 9 Cell Battery, Bluetooth, Intel Wireless LAN 6200) and I have had the hot touch pad issue since day one. On Thursday of this week, I took the base off and directly beneath the touch pad area is the hard disk drive. I replaced the hard drive with an OCZ Vertex 2E 240GB SSD and it is like a brand new laptop. The touch pad is no longer hot  at all (when under pressure, you can barely feel any heat produced - and that's pressing hard on the touch pad) and the laptop is very nippy now (25 seconds to boot up and be usable using facial recognition login and 21 seconds without the need to login - Photoshop CS5, Dreamweaver CS5, Vegas Pro 10 etc load instantly). I know it's not the perfect solution to the issue, seeing as the laptop shouldn't have been sold with the issue, but it's the only solution I have found.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

May 7th, 2011 10:00

Wait really? It's the hard drive?

I don't personally have experience with taking apart/putting together computers or laptops but to get rid of the extreme heat I'll try anything. 

I purchased the laptop for college and I haven't had a problem with it thus far other than the touch pad heating issue.

It's never crashed or anything like that but it has gotten ridiculously hot an a couple issues when I'm doing a lot at once. 

How difficult is it to replace to hard drive for someone with limited knowledge? 

Thanks for taking the time to report your finding, it's greatly appreciated.

-Sean

3 Posts

June 26th, 2012 02:00

Dear friends....this is exactly the same issue with my dell 1558....we have purchased it as a loyal customer of Dell but end up with a overheatting laptop unsuitable for long hours of work.....Sean did u tried changing hard drive & what is the result? Why are Dell technical experts not suggesting or taking corrective steps on this issue....

1 Message

April 30th, 2013 14:00

Brilliant! I was nearly ready to toss my Studio 1558, because the only solution to the constant overheating seemed to be a complicated surgery involving the removal of every component in the thing and replacing the heat sink paste and the thermal pad - beyond my patience and experience. I instead "Hoovered" out (love that term, you Brits) chunks of lint and cat hair. I am using speedfan to monitor temperatures. It had been idling at around 72, and jumping into the 90s (which shut it down). Now it idles around 40, and goes into the 60s when things get humming. Thanks so much!

1 Message

May 21st, 2013 05:00

Hello,

Even I am facing same problem overheating of keypad and backside area. I have Dell Studio 1550 i5 process with 

6 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470, 1GB 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Disk Drive.

Even I am using Laptop for browsing and watching videos.  After 30 mins use, it becomes too hot one can't even touch the backside of the laptop.  I brought this laptop one year back. Sometimes because of overheat, system get halted. Kindly advise what I have to do to solve this problem

Thanks,

Hebbar

• 

3.3K Posts

May 24th, 2013 12:00

Hi Hebbar,

I recommend you to clean the air vents with a can of compressed air. Make sure the system is placed on the flat surface where there is good air circulation. Also update the BIOS. Click on the link given below, enter the system service tag and select the appropriate Operating system and download the latest BIOS.

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Note: While flashing BIOS connect the Ac adapter and make sure the battery has minimum 15% charge as this needs uninterrupted power supply. Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop.
Revert for further queries.

No Events found!