Highlighted
AusManc
1 Nickel

Cracked Screen - Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 (7347)

Hi

I purchased an Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 (7347) a few months ago now.

One evening after finished using it, the laptop was turned off and put away as normal.

The next time it was switched on, the screen had cracked!

This now means the touchscreen is useless and makes the laptop unusable at times.

I have already called Dell support and was asked to send pictures to a support staff member.

He has not responded and may have left the Dell Support??

Can someone please assist in resolving this, the laptop has not been mistreated or abused in any way, the screen has simply cracked from closing the lid of the laptop!

HELP!

32 Replies
Kathitj
1 Nickel

RE: Cracked Screen - Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 (7347)

I could say about the same.  Bought mine in February.  less than 5 months later.  Shut the laptop off last night and tonight. I turn it on crack from top to bottom.  HOW?  barely used.  I emailed them.  Lets see where the that gets me.

Hi Kathitj,

Please private message us the system service tag and snapshot of the crack on the LCD screen so that I can check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

chshi
1 Copper

Hi Ravi,

I found my screen cracked this morning the same way, no drop or abuse.  Already sent you a PM; your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

tbonemn12
1 Nickel

I also have a cracked screen and I have sent Ravi a private message waiting for a a answer what is Dell 's response?? Thank you
AusManc
1 Nickel

Never received a response from Ravi even after I sent pictures of the damage.

My wife eventually called and spoke to somebody who advised that fixing it would cost around $700AUD.

Which considering it cost pretty much that new is ridiculous! !!!

I have since disabled the driver for the touch screen and we use it as a normal laptop - sadly not why we bought it but sure beats paying an extortionate amount to fix a badly designed product.

Kathitj
1 Nickel

After probably a month of emails back and forth, And at best only getting requests for the laptop to be returned for inspection and possible repair.  (I didn't feel comfortable with that nor did I want to be without a computer at all), Dell finally escalated my request to the higher ups (I insisted it was a design flaw and fully believe it is).  They sent a Dell Certified technician to my home with a refurbished screen and a warning that if the crack was my fault I'd owe them for the labor and parts. The Technician immediately determined there wasn't any "CID" as they call it (Customer Induced Damage).  That the crack came from the center of the screen and spidered out to the edges.  The Technician felt there was no way that the cracked screen was "normal wear and tear" on a 5 month old laptop.  He replaced the screen at Dell's cost. 

I will say I'm pleased that it did get repaired, but it took a good 6 weeks of battles at least to get the repair done. 

NOW though I'm just starting to have ghost touches on my screen.  So I'm sure I'm in for another battle with Dell for that.

Hope you all get things fixed.

E Dennis
1 Copper

Interesting, because Dell is refusing to fix my ghost screen issue because the screen cracked while trying to fix the ghost screen issue. I am hoping they see the illogic of this denial of service quickly, because I shall haunt them until they do.

A car dealership would not refuse a recall repair because the car has a flat tire, would they? This is outrageous!

ja.villanueva
1 Copper

I just got off the phone with a dell representative saying the warranty will not cover the crack in my laptop. I believe it is a design flaw. It seems confirmed with other people having the same problem. I purchased the computer in Oct and I notice the crack in dec. Who do I need to speak with to get this problem solved?

jhjove
1 Nickel

I purchased my laptop in mid december from microsoftstore as a signature edition. Was hardly used. Noticed crack in touch screen from bottom middle nearly bisecting the the screen but stops in middle-left of the screen. LCD not affected, works perfect, only touch affected. Currently laptop is back in Dell repair hands. I'm waiting to see how this goes. After reading all the "ghost" issues with the touch screen and now the cracked touch screens this is a design flaw. Even with a replaced screen would there assurance the new screen would not crack? I'll update this post.