Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 17th, 2015 22:00

Cracked Screen - Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 (7347)

Hi

I purchased an Inspiron 13 7000 Series 2-in-1 (7347) a few months ago now.

One evening after finished using it, the laptop was turned off and put away as normal.

The next time it was switched on, the screen had cracked!

This now means the touchscreen is useless and makes the laptop unusable at times.

I have already called Dell support and was asked to send pictures to a support staff member.

He has not responded and may have left the Dell Support??

Can someone please assist in resolving this, the laptop has not been mistreated or abused in any way, the screen has simply cracked from closing the lid of the laptop!

HELP!

7 Posts

July 10th, 2015 17:00

I could say about the same.  Bought mine in February.  less than 5 months later.  Shut the laptop off last night and tonight. I turn it on crack from top to bottom.  HOW?  barely used.  I emailed them.  Lets see where the that gets me.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 11th, 2015 02:00

Hi Kathitj,

Please private message us the system service tag and snapshot of the crack on the LCD screen so that I can check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

1 Message

August 13th, 2015 01:00

Hi Ravi,

I found my screen cracked this morning the same way, no drop or abuse.  Already sent you a PM; your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2015 12:00

I also have a cracked screen and I have sent Ravi a private message waiting for a a answer what is Dell 's response?? Thank you

3 Posts

November 28th, 2015 01:00

Never received a response from Ravi even after I sent pictures of the damage.

My wife eventually called and spoke to somebody who advised that fixing it would cost around $700AUD.

Which considering it cost pretty much that new is ridiculous! !!!

I have since disabled the driver for the touch screen and we use it as a normal laptop - sadly not why we bought it but sure beats paying an extortionate amount to fix a badly designed product.

7 Posts

November 28th, 2015 04:00

After probably a month of emails back and forth, And at best only getting requests for the laptop to be returned for inspection and possible repair.  (I didn't feel comfortable with that nor did I want to be without a computer at all), Dell finally escalated my request to the higher ups (I insisted it was a design flaw and fully believe it is).  They sent a Dell Certified technician to my home with a refurbished screen and a warning that if the crack was my fault I'd owe them for the labor and parts. The Technician immediately determined there wasn't any "CID" as they call it (Customer Induced Damage).  That the crack came from the center of the screen and spidered out to the edges.  The Technician felt there was no way that the cracked screen was "normal wear and tear" on a 5 month old laptop.  He replaced the screen at Dell's cost. 

I will say I'm pleased that it did get repaired, but it took a good 6 weeks of battles at least to get the repair done. 

NOW though I'm just starting to have ghost touches on my screen.  So I'm sure I'm in for another battle with Dell for that.

Hope you all get things fixed.

1 Message

December 23rd, 2015 13:00

Interesting, because Dell is refusing to fix my ghost screen issue because the screen cracked while trying to fix the ghost screen issue. I am hoping they see the illogic of this denial of service quickly, because I shall haunt them until they do.

A car dealership would not refuse a recall repair because the car has a flat tire, would they? This is outrageous!

1 Message

January 9th, 2016 15:00

I just got off the phone with a dell representative saying the warranty will not cover the crack in my laptop. I believe it is a design flaw. It seems confirmed with other people having the same problem. I purchased the computer in Oct and I notice the crack in dec. Who do I need to speak with to get this problem solved?

6 Posts

January 28th, 2016 20:00

I purchased my laptop in mid december from microsoftstore as a signature edition. Was hardly used. Noticed crack in touch screen from bottom middle nearly bisecting the the screen but stops in middle-left of the screen. LCD not affected, works perfect, only touch affected. Currently laptop is back in Dell repair hands. I'm waiting to see how this goes. After reading all the "ghost" issues with the touch screen and now the cracked touch screens this is a design flaw. Even with a replaced screen would there assurance the new screen would not crack? I'll update this post.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2016 14:00

I purchased my 7347 in February 2015. I noticed a crack in the screen last week when I could not use the touch screen. It has now spread right across my screen. The crack just appeared. I did not drop it or damage it in any way. I have been told that it is not covered and it will be expensive to fix. 

It sounds like others have experienced this issue and I am not happy with the way Dell is handling this. 

I loved the laptop at first and now feel that it is flimsy and not well constructed. 

Help!

Maureen 

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 04:00

I argued in emails probably 2 months over this last summer.  Back and forth.  They said it was a CID (Customer induced damage).  I told them there is a design flaw.  I asked to talk to someone higher up and explained that this is not how you treat someone who not only has bought 14 computers over the course of 9 years from them, but who never had an incident before in any of those machines.  Finally they sent a Dell Certified Technician out (with a warning that I'd pay for him if he found it was a CID).  The technician replaced the screen and confirmed there wasn't a scratch or any damage on the laptop aside from the crack (which he also confirmed spidered out from the about the center of the screen where the rim of the keyboard hits. He suggested I put felt stickers on the corners to "stop" the screen from the pull (there is a magnet all the way around the rim of the laptop that pulls it completely closed) which I did.

When the tech was replacing the screen (with a reconditioned one), he broke a piece of the plastic (called the palm rest), so they had to send another part and they replaced that a few days later.

After only a few months the screen started getting the ghost touches.  I tried to deal, but it got so bad I couldn't use it.  Emailed them again.  Had me do a bios update.  It did nothing to fix it.  They sent the tech out again, and replaced the screen, motherboard and touch pad (I don't know why, but those parts must have something to do with ghosting).  Within a few days it was clear that the ghost touching was gone, but the screen kept going black when I'd watch anything video generated.  Emailed them again.  Sent another tech out.  Replaced the screen, touch pad and motherboard (again!).  Its been going great for at least a month now.  But the amount of money Dell poured into 4 visits to my home and all the parts, and emails I am going to guess I could have had TWO new laptops by now. 

Not that I wanted it replaced, I really wouldn't have wanted to do reinstalls and all that.  But the fact remains they fixed mine, repeatedly.

Also through ever single email, they were asking me to send my laptop to them.  I refused to do that.  I did not feel comfortable sending my machine with my personal info on it to them.  I bought the laptop with a one year in-home warranty and I was entitled to that. 

All I can say is don't let up.  If you didn't break it, the machine will show that.  There is a design flaw. The screen has a flimsiness to it that just closing it can easily crack it.  I can attest!

6 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 08:00

update: Dell contacted me that I will have to pay $269 + tax to repair this.

I will not pay to repair/replace a defect part. I did not break the digitizer glass.

I told them to ship the unit back to me.

PS: this is a 7359 laptop (i7 6500 skylake) and the screen 1920x1080. From the limited use I

did not get any ghost touches. Just a cracked digitizer one morning opening the lid.

6 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 09:00

Wow, that's an amazing story. But good info on the felt pads to retard the magnetic pull. I have a 7359, the magnets I believe can be removed. I think there are 2 slugs in the corners and may be easily removed.

Personally  I would rather have a lenovo. I have a Yoga 2 for my work laptop, works very nicely and is business class. The problem with lenovo is the whitelist control they have with some internals (wifi card)...which is the main reason I shopped and bought a Dell. I regret this now.

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 13:00

They threatened me with having to pay if the technician found it to be the CID.  But I am a good and loyal customer. I've never had a service issue.  And I just persisted in the pursuit of repair and kindly demanding someone get the complaint escalated.  I believe if you request a technician to your home (if its under warranty), that you too can show it wasn't dropped or mishandled.

I should mention they tried to say it was "Normal wear and tear", but since I had it at the time, all of 3 months I counted with "It could be normal wear and tear if it was 3 years old, but it was opened a maximum of 50 times over the course of 3 months".

I don't think a year old machine should crack under normal wear and tear either.

Good luck.  Persistence beats resistance!

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 21:00

Well I got my laptop back  un-repaired (I am not paying $269). I'm trying to get some traction with the social media route (facebook).  The DELL facebook page looks like a complaint department. :emotion-6:

Interesting enough...when I sent my laptop to DELL the digitizer was cracked from the bottom-middle up to the left center of the screen. And now that I have the laptop back the crack completely bisects the digitizer. So evidently they (DELL Techs) can have screens break on them, or cause them to further fracture. Still the LCD is perfectly displaying.

No Events found!