Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2011 04:00

Cracking popping sound with audio

Hi,

am getting cracking popping sound with my audio output. please guide me to fix the problem.

thanks,

and my system specs are here:

model: l502x

driver version: 292779

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 15th, 2011 05:00

By the way, you said in your other thread that you do not have these glitches when using Ubuntu. That could be a symptom of dpc latency, because dpc latency is a Windows thing. The other operating systems do not use it.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 15th, 2011 05:00

There are some tips in the thread Choppy/Shipping Audio Workarounds, but the main tips there are to

> turn off the wireless and see if that helps, and

> run the laptop on ac power, not batteries, and

> disable all power saving/management features for best audio performance.

If none of that helps then there could be a bad driver causing the problem. Try installing the DPC Latency Checker tool from
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

This is a small app that is very easy to install, run, and interpret. If you see red spikes on the graph that coincide with the audio glitches, then there is excessive dpc latency, which most frequently is caused by a poorly written driver (usually not the audio driver). The  thesycon site gives an explanation of dpc latency and how to try to find a bad driver.

There is another tool. the LatencyMon:
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

It also checks for DPC latency and also checks ISR (interrupt Service Routines) and hard pagefaults. The site gives a good explanation of these.

June 16th, 2011 03:00

thanks a lot! i found "one or more dpc routine on behalf of drivers running in system". The problem occurs within ACPI.sys (ACPI driver for NT). if can give me a solution how to reinstall.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 16th, 2011 07:00

I am sorry but that is above my pay grade. There is a way to suspend ACPI by using a tool named Process Hacker, but I don't know how to just re-install it. I suppose one would have to reinstall Windows.

Maybe someone on the Microsoft Operating System  board knows something about it.

en.community.dell.com/.../3524.aspx

June 18th, 2011 23:00

Needed permanent solution, Sir!

Thankyou for kind reply!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 19th, 2011 05:00

Needed permanent solution, Sir!

Whenever one buys a new computer, one should immediately test it out with the applications and external hardware with which one intends to use it. If the computer will not perform satisfactorilly under those conditions then one should return it and get a refund. That is the permanent solution.

If you are past the return period then you might consider doing the following. Restore the computer to the original fatory configuration (instructions in the L502X User Guide in the section entitled Dell Factory Image Restore). If that fails to cure the problem then contact Dell and insist that they resolve the problem. They will reply that it is a software problem and not their concern. Persistently badger them about this. You paid for a high end model which should be able to create audio without glitching. Eventually they might exchange the computer for a different model.

Other things you could do:

Create a separate partition on the hard drive and install Ubuntu on it. As you said, there is no problem when you use that OS. The reason for that is because dpc latency is a Windows function. You will still have Windows on the computer to use when you need it.

Or, you could install an Apple operating system on the partition. Apple also does not use dpc latency.

Or, you could use Process Hacker and suspend ACPI. That should cure the problem if it is in fact being caused by ACPI. To be clear on this point, I do not know whether or not ACPI is the cause of the problem. You think that it is the source.

No Events found!