TechnoJoe
1 Copper

RE: Crackling noise in audio on both speakers and headphones

unplug it from the mains mate, usually helps, had this problem loads with sound equipment, try getting a new power cable that only just runs enough power to your laptop to run, its a powersurge issue, im a music producer and dj and have encountered this a lot, let me know if this is any help in solving your problem if at all

Jim Coates
6 Gallium

unplug it from the mains mate,

Hello. This thread is 1.5 yrs old so hopefully the problem has been resolved, but that is a good test that I did not think of.

If unplugging from the power adapter fixes the noise then usually the adapter needs to be replaced. Conversely, if no noise while on adapter but noises when on battery power, then the power saving settings need to be moved toward performance rather than extending the battery charge.

this problem loads with sound equipment

In old Dell laptop, years ago, Dell supplied them with power adapters that would caused a huge amount of noise when connected to other sound equipment with copper cables, if both the computer and the other equipment had a ground (earth) prong. Dell fixed that some years ago but it still can happen on newer models if the adapter goes bad.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Lambwe
1 Copper

i also have the same problem on my dell laptop running on windows 8.1. however i cannot distiguish dell support assist with the other dell programs as it is not listed as such. if under another name please advise.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

i cannot distiguish dell support assist

Hello. Go into Control Panel>Programs & Features and look for Dell SupportAssist and Dell Support Agent and remove both. If they are not there then you do not have them.

If you need more help please give the full model name of your laptop.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ssglenn
1 Copper

I realize this is an old thread, however, if someone else runs into this hindrance they may be able to fix their laptop. It is as simple is reverting your sound card to a previous version! I spent months without being able to "use" my speakers or any sound whatsoever. But this worked perfect. My laptop is back to normal!

0 Kudos