1 Copper

RE: Crackling speakers

Jump to solution

Thank you Jimco this worked with my Dell Inspiron 13 touchscreen

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Will my audio hardware perform differently if i install the native driver instead of the realtek audio driver?

Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

The only way it will affect the hardware is that the mic jack might not be supported by the Windows native driver. In other words, an external microphone that worked with the Realtek driver might not work with the native driver. But it should not affect the internal mic, the speakers, or the headphone jack.

The sound itself might be quite different, because the Realtek driver has audio "enhancement" software that the native driver lacks. It is a bare bones driver, in that regard.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

On step 7 I don't have a device with that name. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with crackling speakers. When I look at compatible hardware I have "Audio Endpoint" and "Generic Software Device" which one do I chose?

Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

On step 7 I don't have a device with that name

Hello. Since I posted the instructions 2 years ago in this thread, I have received comments from others about the same problem you are having. The problems seem to occur only with Windows 10.

Here is an amended set of instructions that might or not work for you. Note that you might have to do step 7 differently from the original instructions, and the name of the native driver might show as "Intel" High Definition.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked [but SEE NOTE].
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

NOTE: if you have a 2-in-1 model and do not see a "High Definition Audio" option after step 6, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Then in step 7, if you see 2 "High Definition Audio" devices, select the 2nd one. On some models the native driver is called Intel High Definition Audio.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5100 with windows 10. And when I uncheck compatible hardware I lose "Generic software device" but "Audio Endpoint" stays.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a Inspiron 15 5567 running Window 10 which has been having issues with a popping sound preceding any system event sound (new mail, etc.).  I tried your trick for switching from the Realtek driver to the "high definition audio device" which did, in fact, stop the popping sound.  The issue now, however, is that the audio has terrible quality and the volume is too low.  It sounds extremely flat.  I tried using the audio enhancements, but they made no difference.  I would appreciate any suggestions to fix this.  Thanks!

Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

any suggestions

Looking through my notes about popping, as opposed to crackling, the only notes I have are for the Inspiron 7559 model, so these suggestions might not apply to the 5567 model.

update BIOS.

Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound>Playback>Right click on Realtek>Properties> Level> and set the level of the internal sub woofers to 80%.

Turn off the power management settings on the Realtek HD audio driver. To do this, you must tinker with the registry. The person who posted this solutionI broke it down into these steps:

1) press windows button + R 

2) type in 'regedit' into the prompt

3) click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER

4) go to REALTEK ---> AUDIO ---> RTKNGUI64 ----> PowerMgnt

5) on the right hand side of the window, find 'enabled' 

6) modify the value to 0

7) restart computer" -- posted by juicetin

Turn off the Maxxsense.

Option 2, reduce the speaker & system volume to 50 with Maxxsense on.

Besides the above mentioned, the power option did cause an effect, things gone worst when it's at power saving mode; it's almost fine when setting it to balance mode." -- posted by JW81

You can fix the audio popping issue by opening the Dell audio suite from the task bar and clicking advanced and then power management and making sure the slider for the power management auto shutting down audio is set to off." -- posted by MOOGLEYS  [screenshot of the power management in Dell Audio]

Note: not all models have the power management setting.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My brand new Dell Inspiron 11 3000's speaker is having a problem . i dont know why it can play the sound just fine in a period of time and then it would lower the sound till its inaudible although the speaker on the screen is not mute . And when i restart it , the sound would be fine for a couple of minutes and then the problem happens again . can you please help me with that ? thank you .

Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

lower the sound

Hello. This thread is about crackling noise, so next time it would be better to start a new thread to discuss a different issue.

Look at the Recent Issues FAQ. Find "Inspiron (13") 53xx & 73xx" and read "Issue 2". Try the various suggestions in that section.

Then find "Inspiron 13" 5368" and read about Issue 1 and 2.