Highlighted
ChazWP
1 Nickel

Creative SB Audigy Advanced MB and installation issues.

So here's the story, I performed a clean install of Vista x64 on my Studio 1735. It went very smoothly, all hardware functions normally and all the software I had installed while using Vista 32 bit works in the 64 bit environment.

Except for Creative SB Audigy Advanced MB. It seems unable to "see" the audio drivers during installation, and this appears to be a well known problem affecting Dell laptop owners.

Now I have read some posts and saw that there is some confusion as to what exactly the problem is. I've seen that some are led to believe that the Creative Audigy software requires a driver. I don't think this is possible. Some think that the laptop's speakers need a special driver. And others believe that the Creative SB software in question is not compatible with x64.

I'm not quite ready to say that it won't install on a 64 bit Vista machine. I have had no issues running traditional 32 bit programs on my x64 Studio 1735. I've tried running the set-up .exe in compatibility mode, but to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this problem on a 64 bit Studio laptop? How about on a 32 bit O.S.? Is it a fact that this problem is exclusive to Vista 64? The software ran fine when the Studio 1735 was using Vista 32, and I'm not convinced that installing it on a 64 bit machine is impossible. But I could be wrong.

So does anyone else want to post their experiences with this software, or offer solutions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Re: Creative SB Audigy Advanced MB and installation issues.

This is historically a confusing issue, because the software was originally released in XP on a CD, then a different downloadable version in 2 parts with no clear directions on how to install, then another downloadable version that was just an upgrade path from XP to the new Vista OS, and as a pre-installed Vista version on some machines, but without a downloadable counterpart. On top of that it had to function as an add-on to audio system on the motherboard which many owners did not understand.

==============================================================================

You wrote:

"I've seen that some are led to believe that the Creative Audigy software requires a driver. I don't think this is possible."

In the thread Sigmatel STAC92xx with Audigy Advanced MB software in Windows XP I explained that when Dell first released the downloadable version of the software it was in 2 parts, the driver and the Invitation, and I explained what the driver does. The Invitation linked you to Creative where you could download the rest of the program and unlock it for a fee. If you look at the XPS M1210 downloads page and expand the the Audio category you will see the 2 parts.

Later, after Vista was released, the package was combined into a single download. But on Creative's site they still refer to it as a combined suite of driver and applications.

=================================================================================

"Some think that the laptop's speakers need a special driver."

The Advanced MB software is an add on to the audio hardware on the motherboard. That hardware naturally requires a driver. In XP there is no native HD audio driver (there is a native AC97 driver) so one must be installed for the hardware to work.. In Vista there is a generic HD driver already, but a driver specific to one's audio chip usually enables more features.

=====================================================================================

"...all the software I had installed while using Vista 32 bit works in the 64 bit environment. Except for Creative SB Audigy Advanced MB"

I don't have any experience with the software on a 64 bit Vista computer. See dgkpcon's comments in XPS M1730 - Audigy Advanced MB 64 Bit Driver??? for his explanation of why it will not work in a 64 bit environment.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos