Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 27th, 2012 09:00

Cypress Touchpad driver XPS 15z Windows 8 (Workaround Solution)

Where is the Windows 8 Cypress TrackPad Driver for the XPS 15z?

Problem: Before upgrading to Windows 8 the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant would of forced you to removed the Cypress TrackPad Software and Driver before upgrading. After upgrading your XPS 15z to Windows 8, you will then notice that there is no Cypress TrackPad Driver on the Dell Drivers and Downloads Site for the XPS 15z under the Windows 8 section. Instead there is only a Windows 7 Driver.

Dell have quietly marked the A06 2.3.6.26 Version of the Cypress TrackPad driver as Windows 8 compatible but trying to install the A06 Cypress TrackPad Driver normally will give you a incompatibility error like the one below, this is due to the Setup.exe file. A workaround to solve this problem is to perform a manual install of the Cypress TrackPad driver by following the instructions in the answer thread below (see link

This is what will be displayed if you try to install the A06 Cypress TrackPad Driver on the XPS 15z through its normal Setup.exe. The error is slightly misleading as the driver itself works under Windows 8, but for whatever reason Windows 8 identifies the software installer as incompatible and blocks the installation.

To get around this, you can bypass the normal Setup Executable and install the driver and software manually:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19473174/20216716.aspx#20216716

Note: The Windows 7 Driver is listed Windows 8 compatible you can confirm this by checking the driver details and clicking the compatibility tab. The issue being Windows 8 will block the normal Cypress Setup.exe from running due to its software incompatibility checks, this is slightly misleading as the driver itself is completely functional under Windows 8. This issue has been reported to Dell and hopefully will be corrected soon.

If this solution worked for other XPS 15z owners let me know by replying to the thread! If you have any problems or questions feel free to respond to the thread.

1 Message

October 27th, 2012 13:00

thanks for downloading tips :D

2 Posts

October 27th, 2012 16:00

also everything else it asks to re-install, how would you do that?

2 Posts

October 27th, 2012 16:00

hey,

This post will not resolve your issue but i am also about to update. will this mean that if i do update, the problems i will face is that i will not have a multi- functional touch pad?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 27th, 2012 19:00

But in my XPS 15Z,UPGRADE Assistant showed that Cypress keypad is compatible.I am yet to complete the upgrade.

..If Gestures are not working,we should report it to dell.

278 Posts

October 28th, 2012 02:00

When I did my upgrade my install told me to uninstall the Cypress Touchpad Software as it was incompatible. I had been running the 2.36.6.26 version which is the latest Windows 7 driver for the touchpad that I am aware of.

Now in Windows 8 I cannot install the Cypress touchpad driver because it will constantly keep stopping me from doing it due to incompatibility. So in Windows 8 my XPS 15z does not have any touchpad driver, it is only using the basic one built into Windows 8.

So no gestures aren't working because there ins't a driver!

For the XPS 15z in the drivers and downloads section there is no Windows 8 driver for the trackpad, so I attempted to install the Windows 7 driver after the upgrade, even though the installer forced to me to removed it. After running the exe to extract the driver the installer stops with:

Attempt to get more information:

Can't install. No driver.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 28th, 2012 03:00

Yes ..You are right..In my compatibility report too,Cypress Touchpad 2.3.6 is not compatible but Default driver is showing as compatible..

It's a pity that Dell is not releasing suitable trackpad drivers for premium Laptops like XPS 15Z while Inspiron series [Budget Laptops] are receiving update for every Drivers,even trackpads..

42 Posts

October 28th, 2012 08:00

You guys should give a try to the Cypress driver release for the XPS-13, version 2.5.052

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 28th, 2012 12:00

Donot try XPS 13 Cypress drivers.They donot work.Try the below methos.It really works

278 Posts

October 28th, 2012 15:00

I tried it, it installed OK and the software works but my touchpad is now completely disabled, despite all settings saying its on. Following the restart after installing the software my touchpad was completely off. I've since uninstalled so the touchpad at least worked.

278 Posts

October 29th, 2012 06:00

Manually Installing the Cypress TrackPad (Touchpad) 2.3.6.2.6 A06 Driver:

1. The Incompatibility error
  2. Manual Install Instructions
  3. Customising Cypress TrackPad settings in Windows 8
  4. Troubleshooting
    1. Driver isn't loaded/Cypress TrackPad Settings aren't visible
    2. Bluetooth mouse doesn't disable touchpad with disable setting set

Incompatibility error:

The latest Windows 7 driver for the Cypress Touchpad on the XPS 15z is listed as Windows 8 compatible. The problem is the driver won't install with the standard "setup executable" (see original thread for explaination). To get around this problem you can install the driver manually.

Manual Install Instructions

Before doing anything, uninstall any previous Cypress software (if present). If you tried to use the XPS 13 driver or another driver make sure you remove it so you get a clean start.

Download the latest Cypress Touchpad driver for the XPS 15z:

Download A06 Driver Cypress TrackPad Driver

The version is 2.3.6.26, A06 to confirm you have the correct one.

Run the extractor as normal, when asked for an extraction path just use the default as the default path is used in the instructions below. After extraction you will then see the incompatibility error which is documented in the original thread. You can ignore it as the extractor automatically runs the Setup.exe which causes the error. You can close the error message and proceed to the manual install:

1. Go to C:\DELL\Drivers\19VRK\Cypress

Inside this folder there will be many files

2. Run the MSI Executable: CyHidMSI.msi

Note: If UAC is enabled, rather than double clicking on the MSI, right click and select "Run as Administrator"

3. Run the following .bat files:

Note: If UAC is enabled, rather than double clicking on each .bat file, right click and select "Run as Administrator"

• install_cyhid_x64.bat
  • install_cykbfltr_x64.bat
  • install_cymfltr_x64.bat

4. Install the actual driver, right click on the two .inf files and select install:

• cykbfltr.inf
  • cymfltr.inf

After doing that you should be prompted to restart your machine. After restarting your touchpad should have its functionality back. The driver and Cypress TrackPad Software should be loaded.

Customising Cypress TrackPad Settings:

In Desktop mode you should now see the Cypress TrackPad icon in your icon tray, you can then customize your touchpad settings.

Info: If you performed an upgrade install over Windows 7 its likely your touchpad settings in the Cypress software will be retained as they were in WIndows 7 even though you uninstalled the Cypress software prior to the upgrade.

If you don't see the Touchpad tray icon another way to access your touchpad settings is: Control Panel > Mouse. You should then see the Cypress TrackPad tab.

Another way to confirm the Cypress Driver is loaded is by going to Device Manager and looking for Cypress Input Device under Human Interface Devices.

If the driver has not been loaded see the section below.

Driver not loaded/Missing Cypress TrackPad Settings:

If the Cypress TrackPad software is missing then the manual installation didn't work correctly and the driver has not been loaded. The main thing to check here is that UAC is not blocking the batch files or MSI executable from running properly. Make sure to run the .bat files as an administrator as explained in step 3. If you have a failed manual driver install attempt its good to run the uninstall executable to get a fresh start. If you still don't have any luck, see the advice below.

A community member reported a Dell technician via remote support made modifications to the registry in addition to the manual install method to get it to work for him. While I did not require any registry tweaks the solution is not 100% tested. While I am just a Dell user, if you are having problems contact Dell and point them to this thread to highlight the issue, at this point they should be able to install the driver for you and likely make registry tweaks which aren't documented anywhere so I can't reveal what they are.

My Bluetooth Mouse doesn't disable even with "Disable Touchpad while using a USB Mouse" set

While the mention of USB in the setting doesn't imply Bluetooth, this option does actually disable the touchpad with Bluetooth mice, however users of Bluetooth mice will find that the A06 driver doesn't disable the touchpad when using a Bluetooth mouse. This is sadly a regression issue with the driver. The workaround to solve this is to the use the A05 version.

The A05 version is NOT listed as Windows 8 compatible, however there are reports that it works under Windows 8 and does indeed disable the touchpad when a Bluetooth mouse is in use.

Download A05 Cypress TrackPad Driver

Community member Ken PC notes the trade offs/performance differences you will get by running this older driver here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19473174/20225159.aspx#20225159

In terms of installation the process is the same. Follow the manual install instructions but substitute the five character folder to 1GFT0 as that is where the A05 driver contents is extracted to. Full path: C:\DELL\Drivers\1GFT0\Cypress

It is up to you to use your own discretion if you want this functionality over a newer driver with fixes.

Good luck, hopefully after following this workaround you get your touchpad functionality back! Any problems, let me know in the thread.

3 Posts

October 29th, 2012 19:00

I also have a Dell Studio...idk...it's really frustrating I have been trying for 3 days to get my mousepad touch thingy back to normal...Dell doesnt have anything as far as I know to get it back working...

3 Posts

October 29th, 2012 19:00

I didn't even upgrade to the windows 8 and I still lost my touchpad functions like the ones you mentioned....I am so angry

October 29th, 2012 22:00

This workaround actually works. Hallelujah, wish Dell had this simple fix for me weeks ago when I installed Windows 8. Thanks so much James2k , you've helped me make this laptop usable again. Everybody who's waiting for this should follow the instructions exactly.  I'm curious how you discovered that this would work. Thanks a lot again. Wow it's about time.

278 Posts

October 30th, 2012 01:00

Glad it worked for you! I took a hunch that I could still install the Windows 7 driver without using the Setup.exe. The executable runs everything detailed in the manual install instructions. So really all your doing is the job of the Setup.exe file. Of course Windows 8 will stop you installing through normal means, only Dell can solve that by releasing a new driver with a Setup.exe compiled for Windows 8

Thankfully the manual method worked. Like you I was getting tired of the lack of functionality of my touchpad Hopefully other XPS 15z owners see this to regain their touchpad functionality back!

278 Posts

October 30th, 2012 06:00

Just an update: The driver seems to hold up well in Windows 8, haven't experienced any problems from heavy usage over the past couple of days. Tested the touchpad after putting the laptop in both sleep and hibernate and it continues to work from resuming in both methods.

I don't know if Dell will release a Windows 8 driver that installs with the Setup.exe, though I'm not sure Dell are aware of the problem. I've seen several forum moderators tell users to install the Windows 7 Cypress driver for the XPS 15z but without doing the manual method you can't, so this has frustrated users somewhat.

No Events found!