Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 27th, 2012 09:00

Cypress Touchpad driver XPS 15z Windows 8 (Workaround Solution)

Where is the Windows 8 Cypress TrackPad Driver for the XPS 15z?

Problem: Before upgrading to Windows 8 the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant would of forced you to removed the Cypress TrackPad Software and Driver before upgrading. After upgrading your XPS 15z to Windows 8, you will then notice that there is no Cypress TrackPad Driver on the Dell Drivers and Downloads Site for the XPS 15z under the Windows 8 section. Instead there is only a Windows 7 Driver.

Dell have quietly marked the A06 2.3.6.26 Version of the Cypress TrackPad driver as Windows 8 compatible but trying to install the A06 Cypress TrackPad Driver normally will give you a incompatibility error like the one below, this is due to the Setup.exe file. A workaround to solve this problem is to perform a manual install of the Cypress TrackPad driver by following the instructions in the answer thread below (see link

This is what will be displayed if you try to install the A06 Cypress TrackPad Driver on the XPS 15z through its normal Setup.exe. The error is slightly misleading as the driver itself works under Windows 8, but for whatever reason Windows 8 identifies the software installer as incompatible and blocks the installation.

To get around this, you can bypass the normal Setup Executable and install the driver and software manually:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19473174/20216716.aspx#20216716

Note: The Windows 7 Driver is listed Windows 8 compatible you can confirm this by checking the driver details and clicking the compatibility tab. The issue being Windows 8 will block the normal Cypress Setup.exe from running due to its software incompatibility checks, this is slightly misleading as the driver itself is completely functional under Windows 8. This issue has been reported to Dell and hopefully will be corrected soon.

If this solution worked for other XPS 15z owners let me know by replying to the thread! If you have any problems or questions feel free to respond to the thread.

76 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 06:00

Also, I found that the driver released for the Dell 321x works very well on my 15z. It is version A04 dated Jan 9, 2013. It installs on Win 8 without any drama or special installation process and has the updated look to the cypress option screen that I have seen on the newer cypress drivers.

It has options, as installed, for things like 4 finger swipe, palm rejection, etc.

Power usage is lower than the A05 driver for the 15z as well.

And, it does disable with a Bluetooth mouse, which the 15z A06 driver would not do.

As always, be SURE to uninstall any existing cypress drivers first

1 Message

January 22nd, 2013 20:00

Thanks for sharing your insights, James.

I've installed as per your instructions and was successful, but find that the 2 finger scroll (in the center of the pad) is quite erratic. Anyone else have that problem. Doesn't seem to be a way to slow it down in the Cypress controls.

37 Posts

April 4th, 2013 11:00

I did manually installing of Cypress touchpad driver on my XPS 15Z and Windows 8 and the Bluetooth is not working; I cannot even see it in Device Manager.

I tried to revert it back by system restore, but is not working, the Bluetooth seems like is not available at all.

Uninstalled it, the Cypress driver, but no, the Bluetooth is not working.

It was working fine before the Cypress installation.

1 Message

April 15th, 2013 18:00

This workaround worked perfectly on my Dell XPS 15z until the week of April 8th, 2013.  Now, it seems some of the multi-touch gestures - specifically the 2-finger scrolling which is the most important in my opinion - don't work anymore. Any tips?

FYI the three-finger swipe to PG Down still works, but none of the 2-finger ones do.

1 Message

April 15th, 2013 22:00

Thank you for your James2k....my touchpad works perfectly. You made it so easy....thanks a million.

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 20:00

so, I was able to install the driver using the manual instructions, and I do see the trackpad icon in the system tray and can set the settings...

Unfortunately, the touchpad is NOT working. When the laptop boots I can move it for about half a second, then it freezes. I can use an external mouse to move the pointer, but the mouse does not move using the touchpad.

The touchpad buttons DO work, but I cannot move the pointer with the trackpad. I've tried a04 and a06 and both installed ok (using workaround) but neither makes the trackpad work.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Also I'd just like to add a personal F U to dell for this. Windows 8 has been out for almost a year now, and there is no official working driver? Guess this xps was the last dell product I'll ever buy.

76 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 08:00

The touchpad driver dated May28 for the XPS 321X works very well on the 15z. No special manual installation steps required!

This driver plays well with Bluetooth mice, meaning that when the mouse driver (ie Logitech or Microsoft) Bluetooth mouse drivers are installed, the system properly recognizes the presence or absence of the mouse and can auto enable/disable the trackpad (if that option is selected in the trackpad setup).

Previous driver versions had problems with the coordination of disabling/enabling the trackpad when a mouse was present - so I had to make sure that option was turned OFF - the downside was the trackpad was always ON, so I kept getting palm caused erratic mouse movements.

I would suggest FIRST deleting any cypress-specific drivers that can be found in the installed programs list or in the device manager list.. Go to the Dell 321x download page, and give those 2.5.3.43,A05 drivers a try on your 15z.

14 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 12:00

Sounds to me like the driver didn't get installed correctly or you've run into a hardware problem. Does the trackpad move the mouse if you uninstall the drivers? If not, there might be a problem with your hardware. 

I manually installed the Win7 drivers in win8 per the instructions at the beginning of this thread and they worked fine.

I've just installed the updated XPS321X drivers mentioned by KenPC and will report back on how they work after a day or two. You should be able to find them here. The one thing I didn't see was the 3 finger swipe for 'back' in the internet browser, that's a must have for me.

5 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 18:00

I would like to kindly thank Ken and Tim both for taking the time to reply, and once again express my frustration that community members are the ones helping me, rather than a) dell support answering and b) releasing a working driver for god's sake so this isn't even an issue...

Anyway, that being said, here's some more info that I hope might help:

1. I am running a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro x64 (not an upgrade from Win7)

2. I don't believe it is a hardware issue, because only 2 days ago this laptop was running Windows 7 x64 Pro with no issues. Unless the touchpad is sensitive to software installations, I don't see how the hardware could have failed from installing win8

3. I have tried the latest v.2.3.6.12, A04 and 2.3.6.26,A06 from the xps 15z page for win7 x64, as well as the 2.5.1.41, A03 for XPS 13 (L322x) and 2.5.3.43, A05 for XPS 13 (L321X), although all installed without any errors, and I verified in the Device settings that the driver version numbers matched exactly each time, NONE of them work

4. By "not working" I mean that when the drivers are installed, I move my finger on the touchpad, and either the mouse doesn't move at all or it moves SLIGHTLY (maybe a centimeter at most) then freezes. However, both buttons always work, so even when the mouse is frozen in place, I can right click and bring up the context menu.

5. If I remove ALL drivers and use the stock windows driver, the mouse KIND OF responds, as I can move it around the window, but when I let it go, it jumps back to the same position at the top of the screen.

One more thing I've noticed while typing this response. It appears the longer I leave the mouse without using it, the longer it appears to work in item #4 above. For example, while typing #5 and this sentence, it's been about 1 minute or so. I move the mouse and it works! for about 5 seconds.. then it stutters, and eventually halts.

If I wait another few minutes, I can move it for another few seconds...

I honestly don't care about gestures or scrolling or ANY of that stuff. I just want the damn touchpad to move the freaking mouse!

Any information or new things to try would be greatly appreciated, and please let me know if I can provide any further information to help

and once again thank you to the community members for doing Dell's job.

76 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 21:00

You have a very confusing situation indeed.

Some thoughts are, did the touchpad EVER work after installing win8, particularly before you installed ANY other touchpad drivers?

If yes, perhaps a restore from your disk image is a way to quickly backtrack. If you didn't make an image after a clean install with the windows backup utility, then perhaps another totally clean install is a possible fix.

Those early cypress drivers for any model and particularly the ones for the 322x have caused me problems. When I tried the driver for the 322x model, the touchpad was actually totally broken and I had a yellow flag in the device manager ilst for the touchpad! Luckily, a driver uninstall brought it back. One possibility is that the 322x or other early version driver parts are still lurking around in your install.

I have not yet had a problem with drivers for the 321x, and actually find the most recent 321x driver much better than those offered up for the 15z.

14 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 23:00

Sel,  as Ken says, this is a confusing situaion. I started with a fresh install of Win8 x64 pro as well,and right out of the box, the touchpad worked. I think it was using the default microsoft mouse driver, no gestures worked, but it functioned just fine. I would try uninstalling anything related to the touchpad (look for cypress, syntaptic, etc) and roll back the touchpad/mouse driver as far as you and see if that helps.

I wouldn't think that the hardware would fail from an operating system install.

Have you tried booting from a live Linux CD/USB stick such as Mint or Ubuntu? If the touchpad works with those, it rules out a hardware issue. If you still have issues in an alternate OS, I would say there's a hardware issue, which might be as simple as a loose connector, or actually need warranty work.

Good luck keep us posted and we'll try and help as we can.

5 Posts

July 24th, 2013 10:00

thank you again for all your help, but after fighting this thing I just gave up, wiped the drive and reinstalled win 7 pro.

Both during and after the installation, the touchpad worked 100% so I'm entirely convinced it is certainly not the hardware. (incidentally the touchpad also worked during installation of win8, but failed immediately after when actually inside the OS)

Windows 8 is great and this is a total shame. Shame mostly on dell for not being able to produce a simple freaking touchpad driver, but also shame on Microsoft for letting their hardware partners get away with <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> like this.

Perhaps an upgrade from win7 -> win8 might work, but after all this garbage I'm not about to try again. 

I thank everyone who assisted once again, and perhaps I'll try again when win9 comes out. maybe by then dell will have a decent win8 driver (not holding my breath for that one)

14 Posts

July 25th, 2013 13:00

After a bit of time with the 2.5.2.43 drivers mentioned by Ken, it seems to be working well.

The only glitch I've found is when unplugging a USB mouse, the touchpad gestures weren't working properly. Putting the PC to sleep (Fn+Esc) and waking it back up solved it right away. The scrolling seems smoother, but reversed from what I'm used to, but I'm trying to get used to it. I can always reverse it in the driver applet if need be..

Out of curiosity SelArom, do you have the L511Z model of the 15Z? If you have a later model, it might not have a cypress touchpad at all, which could explain the problems.

2 Posts

January 11th, 2014 11:00

Works well with Windows 8.1

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 11th, 2014 13:00

Have you tried any of these versions:

Edit sorry these are for Alps. However this a new version of driver from Cyprus:

No Events found!