Ken PC
2 Bronze

Re: Cypress Touchpad driver XPS 15z Windows 8 (Workaround Solution)

You have a very confusing situation indeed.

Some thoughts are, did the touchpad EVER work after installing win8, particularly before you installed ANY other touchpad drivers?

If yes, perhaps a restore from your disk image is a way to quickly backtrack. If you didn't make an image after a clean install with the windows backup utility, then perhaps another totally clean install is a possible fix.

Those early cypress drivers for any model and particularly the ones for the 322x have caused me problems. When I tried the driver for the 322x model, the touchpad was actually totally broken and I had a yellow flag in the device manager ilst for the touchpad! Luckily, a driver uninstall brought it back. One possibility is that the 322x or other early version driver parts are still lurking around in your install.

I have not yet had a problem with drivers for the 321x, and actually find the most recent 321x driver much better than those offered up for the 15z.

0 Kudos
Tim Grote
1 Nickel

Sel,  as Ken says, this is a confusing situaion. I started with a fresh install of Win8 x64 pro as well,and right out of the box, the touchpad worked. I think it was using the default microsoft mouse driver, no gestures worked, but it functioned just fine. I would try uninstalling anything related to the touchpad (look for cypress, syntaptic, etc) and roll back the touchpad/mouse driver as far as you and see if that helps.

I wouldn't think that the hardware would fail from an operating system install.

Have you tried booting from a live Linux CD/USB stick such as Mint or Ubuntu? If the touchpad works with those, it rules out a hardware issue. If you still have issues in an alternate OS, I would say there's a hardware issue, which might be as simple as a loose connector, or actually need warranty work.

Good luck keep us posted and we'll try and help as we can.

0 Kudos
SelArom
1 Copper

thank you again for all your help, but after fighting this thing I just gave up, wiped the drive and reinstalled win 7 pro.

Both during and after the installation, the touchpad worked 100% so I'm entirely convinced it is certainly not the hardware. (incidentally the touchpad also worked during installation of win8, but failed immediately after when actually inside the OS)

Windows 8 is great and this is a total shame. Shame mostly on dell for not being able to produce a simple freaking touchpad driver, but also shame on Microsoft for letting their hardware partners get away with <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> like this.

Perhaps an upgrade from win7 -> win8 might work, but after all this garbage I'm not about to try again. 

I thank everyone who assisted once again, and perhaps I'll try again when win9 comes out. maybe by then dell will have a decent win8 driver (not holding my breath for that one)

0 Kudos
Tim Grote
1 Nickel

After a bit of time with the 2.5.2.43 drivers mentioned by Ken, it seems to be working well.

The only glitch I've found is when unplugging a USB mouse, the touchpad gestures weren't working properly. Putting the PC to sleep (Fn+Esc) and waking it back up solved it right away. The scrolling seems smoother, but reversed from what I'm used to, but I'm trying to get used to it. I can always reverse it in the driver applet if need be..

Out of curiosity SelArom, do you have the L511Z model of the 15Z? If you have a later model, it might not have a cypress touchpad at all, which could explain the problems.

0 Kudos
La Roja
1 Copper

RE: Cypress Touchpad driver XPS 15z Windows 8 (Workaround Solution)

Works well with Windows 8.1

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

Have you tried any of these versions:

Edit sorry these are for Alps. However this a new version of driver from Cyprus:

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
sbb3
1 Nickel

This fix worked when I upgraded from 7 to 8, but it does not work when I upgraded to 8.1.  I cannot find any driver fix for my XPS 15z.  The manual install did not make the drivers work.  Any other solutions out there?  thanks. 

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
5 Iridium

There is a new driver mentioned in this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19579806/20646195.aspx#20646195

For convenience I have uploaded it to OneDrive:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/driver-sets/dell-touchpad-drivers/

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
SelArom
1 Copper

Out of curiosity SelArom, do you have the L511Z model of the 15Z? If you have a later model, it might not have a cypress touchpad at all, which could explain the problems.

huh, well... you may be on to something there. I looked at my device manager and for the touchpad I see this:

ACPI\VEN_DLL&DEV_0446

searching for that seems to suggest that it is a Synaptics Touchpad... is that a different device than Cypress (some of these companies are the same sometimes I wouldn't know...)

if they are not then I'm definitely pissed because under my device in drivers and downloads on dell it still lists the Cypress touchpad drivers...

if they are the same, then it appears I am screwed because the latest drivers linked here do not work for me...

thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
harry19
1 Copper

For all those who find themselves here with the same track pad issue, an XPS 15z, and just installed Windows 10, I can confirm this manual install workaround works for the same incompatibility issue this driver has with Windows 10 as it did in Windows 8. Got all my multitouch gestures back within 5 minutes. I've been frustrated about this for over a month now. Great thread!

0 Kudos