Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2016 09:00

D3100 Dock USB ports won't work with Precision 5510

I have a Dell Precision 5510 for work running Windows 7. I purchased a Dell D3100 dock to connect my external monitors. Before I purchased, I used the chat assistant to confirm that the D3100 would work with my computer even though it wasn't on the Compatible List. I was assured by that individual that it would work fine. As soon as I received the dock I installed the DisplayLink software and the Dell driver for USB 3 Docking Stations (Dock_DL_Win_A00_Setup-HF3KV_ZPE). The displays are working perfectly and the audio out from the dock is working, however, none of the USB ports on the dock function. Since my laptop only has 2 USB 3.0 ports and one is used by the dock I do not have enough USB ports. I don't want to run a seperate USB Hub since adding additional plugs defeats the purpose of a dock in my opinion.

Does anyone have any idea why the rest of the dock is functioning but not the USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports? I have plugged other USB Hubs in to my laptop and they work fine.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 16th, 2016 07:00

So this is your setup?

Precision 5510 leftside USB 3.0 out --> D3100 USB 3.0 I/O cable --> D3100 USB in
-or-
Precision 5510 rightside USB 3.0 out --> D3100 USB 3.0 I/O cable --> D3100 USB in

Then you tested a USB mouse or keyboard in both the D3100 rear USB 2.0 ports and the front USB 3.0 ports?

Is there another computer there to test the D3100 on?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 16th, 2016 08:00

The fact that it works on the same model and Windows 10, plus the D3100 User's Guide page 6 states that Windows 7 is supported, lends itself to believe that the culprit here is the specific operating system build on your computer. The 5510 should have come with the installed software to restore/reload the backup factory image. Type "Dell Backup and Recovery Manager" into the Start menu search bar and press "Enter" to open the recovery software. Click the "System Restore" button in the left frame. Click the drop-down menu and select "Dell Factory Image" from the list. Check the confirmation box and click "Start."

2 Posts

November 16th, 2016 08:00

My primary setup is "Precision 5510 leftside USB 3.0 out --> D3100 USB 3.0 I/O cable --> D3100 USB in". However, I have tested the setup on both the left and right side USB 3.0 ports from the Precision 5510, to no avail. I have also tested an independant USB 2.0 Hub on both ports from the Precision 5510 and it functioned normally.

I have tested a USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB webcam and USB external HD in all 5 USB ports on the D3100 and none have been recognized by the laptop. All of these devices have been plugged into the Precision 5510 directly, had drivers installed and function correctly.The powered USB ports on the D3100 do provide power to devices such as a phone when plugged in but they do not recognize the device.

My colleague has an identical Precision 5510, however it is running Windows 10 instead. When he plugs into my D3100 with the same setup, it recognizes the USB devices mentioned above instantly. So the dock appears to be functioning normally.

I am left to believe it is something specific to Windows 7 or my Precision 5510. Another note that might help, when my laptop was first setup it would not connect to Windows Update or Dell Update. It would sit for hours "searching for updates" and never go anywhere. We were forced to use an offline Windows Update Rollup. After that it has since performed updates fine and is up to date according to both Dell and Windows Update.

No Events found!