Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

May 8th, 2008 15:00

D610 will not boot

I have a D610 Dell Laptop and it does not boot.  It does get power becuase when I press power I get the Numeric Lock and the power light and two beeps.  I found somewhere to boot and hold Fn and this gives me some type of cycle, runs through all lights, and then stops on Caps Lock.  I was only able to get the machine to post once and I got a TPM error and an error about a change in RAM size.  Nothing on this laptop has changed from the time of purchase and is in otherwise perfect condition.  Has anyone else seen or heard of these issues and how I may fix this?  Thanks!

BTW, the machine is running the latest bios, 6.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Try reseating the memory module(s), and if that doesn't work, try them one at a time. 

If one module works, try it in the other slot - if it fails there, you have a mainboard problem.  If not, it's probably a faulty DIMM.

I will try it.  As soon as I locate the DIMM on the laptop's underbelly. 

May 8th, 2008 18:00

I pulled one of the back panels off and there was no additional, or any DIMM, in the slot.  So that doesn't seem to be it.

May 9th, 2008 12:00

that's the secondary DIMM slot. the first DIMM is actually under the keyboard, just above the touch pad. if you remove the keypad you'll be able to access it. it takes about 10 minutes to do this and is realtively easy.. dell's documentation explains how to do this in the service manual... but basically, remove the little plastic panel that's above the keyboard surrounding the power button (to do this, get a very tiny flat object and pry it up from the right hand side where there's a small notch to start it out... it isn't fastened in it just snaps). once that's up, remove the screws from the underside that are marked "K" for keyboard. the keyboard should then be loose enough to pry loose (it too snaps in place). there's a small ribon connecting the keyboard, don't pull that off you should be able to get to the DIMM module without unplugging the keyboard.

edit: i just realized the D series i don't think labels the keyboard screws... so read the service manual to be sure... to find it google "Dell d610 service manual" and it'll probably be the first thing

Message Edited by dddaneTurnerBroadcasting on 05-09-2008 08:53 AM

May 12th, 2008 15:00

Ok, I pulled of the keyboard, carefully, and pulled the DIMM. I reseated the RAM and hokoed everything back up and when I press the power button I get the same thing.  I appreciate the help, any other ideas?

May 12th, 2008 16:00

If it is the mobo, is there any place you guys recommend for repairs?

May 13th, 2008 16:00

your cheapest option is probably ebay... you can buy a motherboard/chassis combo right now for $80+shipping, you would just need to put your LCD screen onto the chassis you buy and swap out the hard drive... the motherboard alone though on ebay is selling for $130ish. allof the instructions for swapping these things out are on the dell web site under the service manual... if you have patience to follow the steps it probably takes 30 minutes-1 hour to do just about any part swap needed.  if you didn't personally want to handle the part swap, i'd get it there then have some neighborhood kid figure it out by reading the service manual. 

best buy or someone like that would probably charge $200 just for the parts. 

you can buy a whole new D610 on ebay for $300-375ish, so i don't know if i'd pay too much beyond $200 to fix it.

Message Edited by dddaneTurnerBroadcasting on 05-13-2008 12:12 PM
No Events found!