Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2010 14:00

D620 cpu over heating

Hi, everyone:

I have a Latitude D620 for a few years. It works fine, but I can feel the bottom is very hot even it is idle.

I just installed FanQui, it showed the cpu become around 75 C just seconds after boot up, and the cpu fan is 0 rpm.

I tried manul fan control, set the fan to high, the rpm still is 0 rpm. I also saw the gpu temp is normal about 20 C, and cpu load very low.

My concern is that can I just ignore the cpu temp, since the laptop is working fine, would it be harmful to my hard drive and other components?

It is already out of warranty, I'd like to try some thing simple to fix this problem.

Thanks for any suggestion.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2010 16:00

Yes, the heat will affect the hard drive and other parts inside the system.  Does the  fan actually spin, or not?  If not, replace it.

7 Posts

June 2nd, 2010 17:00

Yes, the heat will affect the hard drive and other parts inside the system.  Does the  fan actually spin, or not?  If not, replace it.

jn6

Thanks, ejn63

With the FanGui opened, now I can see the cpu fan spin at some 2000 rpm to some 3000rpm, and the cpu temp becomes around 71 C when cpu load is about 0 %.

I guess this is still too hight. Is there some thing besides of replacing the fan that can help cool down the cpu further?

5.2K Posts

June 2nd, 2010 19:00

A temp of 71°C  is not real high; below 55°C would be good. Initially blow out dust bunnies using compressed gas. Be careful not to spin the fan too fast. If this doesn't help, it's possible the heat sink(s) is loose, or that the heat transfer paste or pad needs to be be replaced.

7 Posts

June 3rd, 2010 08:00

A temp of 71°C  is not real high; below 55°C would be good. Initially blow out dust bunnies using compressed gas. Be careful not to spin the fan too fast. If this doesn't help, it's possible the heat sink(s) is loose, or that the heat transfer paste or pad needs to be be replaced.

Thanks!

After a blow cleaning, it came down to 66 C. I dare not to open the case and do the other things. Anyway I'm felling more comfortable using this laptop now.

No Events found!