Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2015 14:00

DELL INSPIRON 17R-7720 No Post, No Dell Logo, No boot, Black screen? Bad Motherboard?

Hello All,

I am currently trying to help out someone that owns a Dell Inspiron 17R-7720 laptop. It was working fine then one day they went to turn it on and it doesn't want to post/boot. The power light comes on, and the 3 button lights it the top left of the keyboard area light up and turn off but that is it. I get no post, no dell logon, and the screen doesn't seem to do anything. It doesn't attempt to shut off it just sits there and doesn't do anything else.

Now when I hold down the D button and press the power button, the screen test comes on so I know the screen is working. I also hooked it up to a VGA monitor but nothing.

I pulled out the battery and all of the parts (hard drives, etc) from the laptop and still nothing. The only thing that changes is when I remove the ram, I get 2 beeps which indicates a ram issue. When I reinstall the ram, the laptop doesn't give me any beeps what so ever.

So I am unsure what to do now? I would assume there must be an issue with the motherboard and I would have to replace it? Its such a sin being the laptop was only used for 1 year and stopped working suddenly.

The laptop had Windows 7 and the Intel i7 processor.

1.8K Posts

October 23rd, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Unfortunately it sounds like you've tried quite a few of the basic troubleshooting steps.  Have you tried going into the System Setup (BIOS) to see whether you can access it?  Since you said you're not getting the Dell splash screen I'm not sure you will be able to.  That leads me to think it is the motherboard instead of the processor, memory, etc. Those items would cause beep codes if they were failing.  

In a way I wish you were getting beeps (except as you noted) as that would give us a better idea of what is going on.  

Try this and see if you can get into the BIOS:

Switch off the computer.
Disconnect the AC adapter from the system.
Remove the battery from the computer.
Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.
Then connect back all the peripherals and check if you are able to turn on the system.
Please follow the below steps for resolving the issue with system stuck at Dell logo.

Turn on or restart the computer.
Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the BIOS screen pops up.
Using the right arrow key move to ‘Advanced’ tab.
Using the down arrow key move down to ‘SATA Mode’ and press ‘Enter’ button.
Change the SATA operation in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
Save changes in BIOS.
Reboot the system.

Go back into Bios (F2) and change SATA operation from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
Save the changes.
Restart the system.
Now system should boot into the normal mode.
Please restart the system multiple times to check for issue resolution.

Let me know if the above steps help at all.   You may also want to check out this article on No POST systems to see if there is anything else you can try.

Todd

1 Message

January 28th, 2016 17:00

Did you ever get the issue resolved.

I have the same situation. Motherboard replacement is very expensive.

No Events found!