Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2014 15:00

DELL Inspiron 15 3521 Battery Recognised But Not Charging!

Hi, my laptop battery is okay! Windows 8 recognises the battery and indicates charging. But in actuality, the battery is not charging. As you use it even while plugged to power, it gets drained until 5% and alerts you of low battery.

However,  I updated the windows 8.0 to windows 8.1. Thereafter, I began to notice this malfunctioning.

I do not know what could cause this.

Please I need your assistance.

Thank you and God bless!

• 

3.3K Posts

August 20th, 2014 01:00

Hi EasytimeH ,

Welcome to Dell Community.

Please run complete Windows update and check. If the issue persists, click on the following link, enter the service tag and update BIOS. Make sure the battery has minimum 15% charge.

http://dell.to/14Xsnmd

Also check if the Ac adapter & Battery is detected in BIOS. Tap F2 at startup to open the BIOS screen.

5 Posts

August 20th, 2014 04:00

Dear Sujatha, thank you for your concern and suggestion.

I have tried the BIOS options and it indicated the following:

From the Main Menu

BIOS Version - A12

---

---

AC Adapter Type - 65W

Total Memory - 4096MB

From the Advance Menu

Virtualization - Enabled

Integrated NIC - Enabled

---

---

Sata Operation - AHCI

Adater Warnings - Enabled

---

Battery Health - This battery is performing normally.

The BIOS setup shows that the battery is performing well.

I have also run a system test from Dell Support website http://dell.to/14Xsnmd and it also indicated that there were no errors (see result: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/servicetag/CRW9ZW1/diagnose/showresults/CRW9ZW1AF1DC009215E45E9A9DF9536CF5345A4?s=DHS)

The issue is: OS detects the battery and power Adapter. It even indicates that it is plugged in and charging. But in essence, the battery is not charging. It drains down even while power adapter is plugged in.

Thanks very much for more help.

• 

3.3K Posts

August 21st, 2014 01:00

Hi EasytimeH,

Thank you for the detailed update. I request you to try one last step that is to try with a known good battery & check if the issue duplicated.

5 Posts

August 21st, 2014 03:00

Hi Sujatha, good day my brother and friend! How are you doing today? I really want to appreciate your interest in this challenge.

However, I had done what you are now requesting that I should do - swapping batteries to check whether the problem still persists or not. But to clear any doubts, I have done it again.

I have swapped the battery for (New Inspirion 15 3000 series None-Touch) with the Inspirion 15 Touch battery - they both use the same battery, same power adapter rating etc.

Whereas the problem persists. The OS detects the battery and the power adapter. It even indicates charging (n%). But in real time, the battery is draining and not charging.

So, I believe there is something else you could have me do. I really need your magnanimous assistance at this stage. Meanwhile, you will also be adding to yourself credits by being the first to tackle a challenge that has never occurred in the history of DELL.

I look forward to receiving your next post.

Thank you and God bless!

Eyo Honesty

• 

3.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2014 03:00

Hi Eyo,

I suspect it is the motherboard issue. Please follow and send a private message. I will check the system warranty to help you further.

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2014 04:00

Dear Sujatha, thanks for our help.

But the warranty has expired.

If there will be anything I can do - maybe to open the system and trace the connection on the MB, please just let me know.

Thank you.

• 

3.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2014 23:00

Hi

If the connectors on the motherboaed is impacting, only solution is to replace the motherboard.

5 Posts

August 23rd, 2014 05:00

Hi Sujatha,

If I may ask, what do you mean by "impacted"? 

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2014 05:00

The DC jack is separately replaceable on this model.

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=13842

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hi Sujatha

what can I do if the battery is at 2% and I need to update the BIOS? The machine can run off the power supply though. 

Ian

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 14:00

Check the BIOS setup - if the AC adapter is unrecognized, the battery will not charge.

April 9th, 2016 03:00

I'm facing the same problem. What have you done to overcome that problem?

3 Posts

April 9th, 2016 14:00

BIOS update and i bought a new stronger power supply. Going like a Boeing now :)

April 9th, 2016 18:00

Didn't you replace the motherboard? And waht is that power supply?

3 Posts

April 9th, 2016 18:00

the motherboard was replaced TWICE under warranty, since power supplies were not covered under the warranty I had, i decided to buy a new one, at first the one I bought was exactly the same and it didnt work. So i exchanged it for a more powerful one (see attached) andy, it worked from that second. Incidentally, my old battery also began to charge. 

No Events found!