Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2012 10:00

DELL Inspiron N5110 does not Shut Down and does not wake up from Sleep

Hello.

I have Dell Inspiron N5110 which cannot shut down neither in Windows 7 nor in Ubuntu Linux. I specifically booted Ubuntu Live from the CD to eliminate the possibility that  the problem is in the Windows 7. Shutdown in Ubuntu does not work either. This proves that the reason in not a BACKGROUND application in Windows that remains hanging and does not allow the laptop to shut down.

The laptop cannot wake up after Sleep or Hibernate either.

I have tried every solution that you advised to all the other people in the forum that have the same issue.

1. The laptop cannot shut down in Safe Mode either.

2. It cannot shut down even after Clean Boot Mode - all non-MS services disabled and all Startups disabled.

3. I tried changing the Advanced Power Options of "Allow Hybrid Sleep" - both ON for "On AC Power" and "Running on battery" - no change.

4. I tried installing the latest video drivers for Nvidia. This did not help either.

5. Running only on battery does not change anything - still cannot shutdown.

6. Running only on AC adapter without battery - still cannot shutdown.

7. I tried removing the AC adapter and battery and holding the POWER button for 30 seconds to RESET the laptop - did not work.

ATTENTION: I've been reading your forums all day and saw at least 10-15 reports of the same problem and not a single fixed case.

8. This is why I have not tried Flashing the BIOS to the latest version - I read other people tried that and it didn't work either.

9. I loaded BIOS default settings (F9) - still cannot shutdown.

REMARK: Changing something in the BIOS and trying to Exit once caused the laptop to freeze and I had to Power Off by holding the button for longer.

10. I ran DELL Diagnostics from Boot menu (F12 at startup) - no errors found.

11. I could not locate IEEE 1394 Adapter in Device Manager to change its Power Management settings.

Actually none of the suggestions you may give for changing something in Windows makes sense because I already mentioned that shut down in Ubuntu does not work either.

The issue seems to be either in the BIOS or a hardware problem. But which component? Is it the CD/DVD drive?

This is a new laptop.

Please advice how to proceed. If you know which component fails please tell me.

9 Posts

October 5th, 2012 14:00

Remove the keyboard and palm rest (guide from dell shows you how) and you should see a small coin cell battery. Remove it for at least 10 seconds, then put it back in. Enter BIOS and make sure there isn't anything weird that was changed. It should work properly now. I have had this working in Ubuntu 12.04 for the last few days, with no problems.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2014 09:00

Adam_Sql, Thank you for the advice. I am facing the problem with my insproin N5110 model. I have resolved the issue as u have mentioned...

IMPORTANT!!! : HOWEVER DOING THIS BY YOURSELF MAY CANCEL YOUR WARRANTY SO YOU BETTER PRINT THIS ANSWER AND TAKE THE LAPTOP TO THE SERVICE WITH THE PRINTED PAPER.

THIS IS THE FIRST REAL ANSWER THAT COULD HELP ALL OF YOU FOLKS !!!!

I HAVE NOT TRIED IT. I JUST RETURNED THE LAPTOP TO THE SERVICE AND THEY FIXED IT SOMEHOW

MAY BE THEY DID THE SAME AS ADAM_SQL WROTE !!!!

....OR MAY BE THEY CHANGED THE FAULTY COMPONENT.

Anyway thanks a million ADAM.

October 22nd, 2012 20:00

naah i dnt think its a hardware problem... the fix i posted worked for 3 laptops here :)

After spending days fixing my friend's laptop having this problem, i arrived to a conclusion that the wireless is messing up with the sleep thingy.. whenever you connect to a wireless network and then close the lid, it does not turn on again.. but if you do not connect to any networks, you can put your laptop to sleep with no problem at all..
BUT THE FIX TO THIS PROBLEM IS: go to control panel, go to add and remove. you will have installed more than one driver for the wireless.. Proset wireless I assume.. please delete all others except the bluetooth one.. When you would be uninstalling the intel proset wireless wifi software, the uninstallation may hang for a while.. no need to worry, just restart your laptop normally from the start menu, when it restarts,  your problem will be fixed :emotion-1:

Regards

Daniyal Khan 

9 Posts

Well then you probably have a different problem, because Linux was having the same issue. If the same issue is present with 2 very different forms of software, there is a hardware issue. Doing a fix in Windows will have absolutely no effect with Linux.

My laptop would not sleep/shut down in Win 7 or Linux. the fan was not working in Win 7 or Linux, and it took longer than normal to POST. My fix has solved all three of my issues and I haven't had a problem since on either OS. (Besides Windows being a garbage OS in the first place)

Not saying that your solution is wrong, it just seems that there is a different issue between our devices.

9 Posts

This problem is related to hardware, as it is present in more than one operating system. The issue was present in Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux 12.04. It is a hardware problem relating to CMOS. Removing the CMOS battery will fix the issue in the long run. It has been confirmed in several places.

respect :)

4 Posts

June 29th, 2013 10:00

Dear Adam_SQL,
thank you so much for helping your follow poor Dell customers. Your solution (opening up the laptop and removing the batterie) worked for me.
I tried so much, next would have been reinstalling windows, that would habe been at least half a day useless work on top.

Dear Dell "customer service"
how comes it is so hard to find the solution to this problem? How comes you seem not to even have confirmed this problem?
It´s your customers who spend hours and hours trying all this useless stuff that you find first when you search for the solution in the web.
Please take this serious, offer a patch or at least publish an easy to find webpage where the error and the solution is named.

Here is some keywords that will hopefully help others to find these precious information:
Windows 7 8 XP Vista Linux Ubuntu
Dell Vostro Laptop Notebook
won´t shut down schaltet nicht aus ab
led keeps on shining led leuchtet
standby stand by hibernate ruhezustand
hard reset
windows normal ausführen

1 Message

August 1st, 2013 05:00

Thank you very much Adam_SQL! I was having the same problem with my Inspiron N5110. Like  martincho8002  I also tried everything but only got frustrated each time when an attempted task failed. Then I tried your solution i.e re seating the coin cell battery and now without any problems the machine shuts down properly. 

Cheers. 

1 Message

September 29th, 2013 15:00

Same or very similar issue. When Windows 7 shuts down the computer does not. The power light stays on and after a short delay the fan spins up. Shutdown and restart does not work either. I tend to agree with Adam_SQL it may not be an OS-issue. However in my case, after trying several trouble shooting suggestions including re-installing the Wifi driver, I found a software solution in Windows 7 x64.

By the way my issue first occurred when after I had sent my system to Dell to replace the dying harddrive. When you send it for repair they ask you to remove the battery. So when I received it back after 6 days and I had this issue my suspicion was that the cmos coin cell battery might have drained. To open the laptop I used this manual (I did not want to send it back again and wait another six days):

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-15r-n5110_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

After opening the laptop and measuring it seemed OK, but I replaced it anyway. I went out to buy one, so the Cmos was thoroughly reset. After rebooting, setting time and date in cmos and resetting to default values, still the same issue. Sigh.

The Dell technician who replaced the harddrive had installed a very clean Windows 7 environment. Probably from some image as 80 Gb of the new harddrive was left unallocated. Hardly any program installed, no bloatware.

I first downloaded all the drivers I could find from the Dell site for my machine. Then I went into hardware management and from top to bottom I started to remove hardware drivers and reinstall them, the most likely first. Luckily for me what helped was the Display driver. After removing both, including choosing to remove the software, one reinstalled before I could stop it. I removed it again and quickly rebooted the machine. After reboot I let the machine/Windows search for the correct drivers. They were found and installed in less then a minute. After that the machine powers down as it should.

I noted that one of the drivers was for a differently named video card. When I got my system back it had a driver for AMD Radeon HD 7400  and now it has a driver for AMD Radeon HD 6400. Both cards are related of course. I guess the version I have now comes from a Microsoft hardware database, as the system autodetected and located the drivers, where I deleted the original ones.

Details of the working display adapter drivers ( I did not update them, as long as it ain't broke....):

1. AMD Radeon HD 6400M series driver from Advanced Microdevices Inc,; date 19 dec. 2012, version 9.12.0.0

2. AMD Radeon HD 6620 G driver from Advanced Microdevices Inc,; date 19 dec. 2012, version 9.12.0.0

Thanks for all suggestions from others, this is what worked for me.

January 7th, 2014 02:00

I tried this solution to remove the cell, it works for few times or u can say for one day, but its starts again and no use , still having the same problem :(

June 13th, 2014 07:00

Adam_Sql, Thank you for the advice.  I was hesitant to pull my machine apart that far without knowing for certain whether this would work, but I'm very happy I did.  I used a YouTube video to watch how to take it part and put it back together and after I did, the machine shuts down perfectly!  :emotion-2:
Thanks for your post!

Here is the link to the YouTube video I used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S36jIWmNxq8

2 Posts

September 21st, 2014 09:00

Thanks a lot...

No Events found!