Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 26th, 2008 09:00

DELL M1530 - Line-In Doesn't work

I recently purchased a Dell M1530 with windows vista.  The line-in doesn't work.  I had a Gateway desktop and used to use a standard audio cable from my the "earphone" jack of my stero component set to the line-in on my sound card--VOILA....I was able to hear everything from my stero component...whether it was the radio, tape, CD, etc., it automaticaly piped through my system. II was able to transfer the audio to my PC then later burn to CD/DVD perfectly.  I contacted Dell on-line chat tech support and they were not able to help me  They stated my old setup should not have worked.  MALARKEY---I've used the audio cable set-up on my old gateway for years without hitch and showed others the same technique and well had success.  This same setup doesn't work on the laptop.

The only thing I've been able to find on-line is to get a USB line-in adaptor  I haven't purchased it yet, because I want to see if anyone in the Dell Community found a resolution to this problem. 

Thanks!

3.6K Posts

February 6th, 2009 18:00

Hello bob,

Just one thing on the reg. entry it should read "EnableInputMonitor"=hex:0000 01.You left out the 4 digits in front.

3 Posts

December 26th, 2008 11:00

I resolved the issue.  In the past, I used my stereo component's earphone jack to my desktop line-in jack on the sound card.  This time around, I must use my stereo component's line-out RCA jacks to the M1530 mic/line-in jack.  I'm still using my $3 radio shack audio cable and input/recording is just fine.  Note:  When I used my desktop, the line-out on my stereo component, my desktop would not pick up the audio.

I don't have to spend a penny...just had to figure out a new routing of the line-out from my stereo component to the laptop.

3 Posts

February 6th, 2009 14:00

Enable Input Monitor on Windows Vista

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop

All of the information, instructions, and recommendations here are offered on a strictly "as is" basis. Remember "Murphy's Law." Please take the proper precautions before attempting any of the tips or modifications listed here.

SigmaTel Driver High Definition Audio Version 6.10.0.5866, dated 2/15/2008

Dell Download R190517

My SigmaTel Hardware ID:
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_1028022E&REV_1002 HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_1028022E

Right click on the speaker in the system tray (lower right-hand corner) and select "Playback Devices", then select “Speakers/Headphones”, then select “Properties”, in this window select “Levels Tab” to check if the Input Monitor function is accessible. If it is there make sure it is turned on. If it is not there follow the below instructions.

You can either create a reg file with the text below, or create the binary value yourself.

Here are the contents of the .reg file you can import to fix the problem:

Windows  Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\

{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings\filter\SpeakerHp]

"EnableInputMonitor"=hex:01

Input Monitor should now visible, can be toggled, and works after adding the "EnableInputMonitor" key to the registry and rebooting.

3 Posts

February 7th, 2009 05:00

Your correct, I added it manually and when you select add a binary value the first 0000 is in place & all I had to do was type in the 01, sorry for the oversight in the data required for the .reg file.

I am glad you picked it up.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 7th, 2009 07:00

Thanks for sharing your solution. I have added a link to this thread in:

How To Enable Monitoring....

3.6K Posts

February 7th, 2009 14:00

Hey jimco,

FYI

It also works with driver R171786,and R171788 running vista on E1705's.I have this working on mine.

EDIT:I know you have these models in the thread i was just pointing out 2 drivers that work for this solution.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 7th, 2009 19:00

dgkpcon,

Thanks for the heads up. I have edited the thread to include those drivers. Please continue to keep me up to date.

3.6K Posts

February 7th, 2009 19:00

Your welcome,as always any new info. i will pass along.

3 Posts

February 8th, 2009 13:00

Bob_Ebz, thanks so much---I knew I wasn’t crazy.  Would plz guide me through fixing the registry file for this. I’m in the registry editor, but I don’t know what directory/subdirectory I need to access to facilitate the change.  I rather claim ignorance now than to make a change and mess up my computer.....or I can use dgkpcon's solution and download driver R171786---but if a registry change is all that I need to do, then I'll do it.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!

3 Posts

February 9th, 2009 08:00

First open Notepad, copy the exact text listed below into Notepad:

Windows  Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\
{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings\filter\SpeakerHp]
   "EnableInputMonitor"=hex:01

Save file as  InputMonitor.reg

Now make sure the data from the second and third line above is on one line in the InputMonitor.reg file

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings\filter\SpeakerHp]

I was not able to fit it as one line here in this forum, nor would it wrap.

Now right click on the InputMonitor.reg file & select merge, this will add the required entry to the registry.

Make sure that is the only information in the file you saved.

Bob E.

1 Message

July 16th, 2009 08:00

very very good i was driving mad

is there also a way to have a fader for the input volume?

thx to all

No Events found!