Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2009 17:00

DELL Studio XPS 16 1645 i7 power problem

Update 4 (2/13/2010):

Bios A07 shows a significant improvement with the 130w charger.

There is still throttling that need to be analyzed, most likely this throttling is a machine limitation.

For now, the system is able to run near the advertised specs.

Please post your experience with the updated BIOS.

Update 3:

Dell is finally listening, they are replacing the 90 watt charger with a 130 watt slim charger with a promise of a BIOS fix version A07 that is promised to fix the problem.

Will update upon the testing of the BIOS.

here is how to place a replacement request in USA and Canada

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19320784.aspx

Update 2

DELL thinks a BIOS release will fix the problem and is working on it now.

ALL the people who performed all kind of testing in NBR assures the engineers at DELL that a BIOS fix will not fix the problem completely without the use of a charger of higher power. Using Throttlestop the system was able to consume 110-120 watts under load.

Some people will accept a BIOS that throttle up to the maximum power of the charger used so for a 90 watts charger the system throttles at 90 watts, for a 130 watts, it throttles at 130 watts.

Some people are planning a class action browse the thread for more information.

Update

Here is our group findings so far

1. The power conservative BIOS forces the system to throttle to 7x when the power consumption is around 90 watts due to one or more of the following reasons:

a. Limitation of the power supply capability

b. Limitation of the motherboard to accept more than 90 watts (This reason is from DELL, but we suspect it)

c. To increase the battery life

d. To limit heat generation

obviously DELL should be blamed for poor design if it is a, b, or d.

2. Thanks to unclewebb there is a software now to unlock the throttle, this one will almost certainly put the 90 watt charger to rest or fire.

3. Due to the power limitation, it looks like the people with the RGBLED are most affected by the problem due to the added power consumption.

4. DELL is aware of the problem, but according to them it only affects a small percentage of people that put the system on full performance.

5. DELL keeps saying that the 130 watts adapter is not the solution of the problem, which is quite true as it needs both an adapter and BIOS update.

6. After a long wait, DELL acknowledged that there is a problem and that they will address it soon without announcing a time frame.

7. We as a group lack the trust in DELL fixing the problem to our satisfaction.

I think most of our group will agree on the above.

With all the above said, i am quite happy that mine was returned back to DELL after a frustrating experience with DELL level 1, 2, and 3 technical support. This doesn't represent the other members as most of them are happy with their notebook but expect action from DELL.

------------------------------------------------------

We are among the first to receive our DELL studio XPS 16 1645 with i7. We have some benchmark results that strongly suggest that the equipped 90W charger is not providing enough power to the system. To summarize, the performance of the system is correlated to the brightness of the monitor which suggests that the power provided is not enough so when the monitor is dimmed it allows more power to be consumed by the system. Here is some findings:

Here is the findings, if you stress the laptop using 3Dmark06 the performance is correlated to the brightness of the screen, here is the findings
Full brightness: 5003 3DMark '06
SM2.0: 1664
SM3.0: 2189
CPU: 2568

Lowest brightness: 5405 3DMark '06
SM2.0:1834
SM3.0: 2326
CPU: 2785

To further see the effect of the power consumption, i ran Crysis benchmark for two cases with one difference, the power source battery and minimum brightness vs charger and maximum brightness. I used the exact same settings for power plan (High performance and optimize performance for powerplay)

On Charger, Battery full, maximum brightness

Run #1- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Low ~~ Last Average FPS: 68.75

Run #2- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Medium ~~ Last Average FPS: 30.24

Run #3- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 20.38

On Battery, minimum brightness

Run #1- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Low ~~ Last Average FPS: 80.31

Run #2- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: Medium ~~ Last Average FPS: 50.93

Run #3- DX10 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Last Average FPS: 29.50

To further test the claim that the power is not enough, an external monitor is connected and to our surprise the system showed its muscles with best performance.

The correlation to the between the brightness and performance, and the heat generated from the charger strongly suggested that the charger is not providing enough power under full load.

It will be a shame if the power adapter is not adequate specially after the whole mess of delaying orders.

[Poll]

14 Posts

February 12th, 2010 14:00

v9.9?  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place ... or maybe our computer specs call for different drivers for some reason.

I found the v10.1 drivers on AMD's website after selecting my card and it sent me to the following link:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

Yeah. you are looking in the wrong place. You have to remember this is a Mobility Radeon and not a straight Radeon. Mobility drivers tend to have a more limited feature set that a full desktop video card. Start here and go through the process of selecting the driver. You will end up in the same place I did.

14 Posts

Ahh ... fantastic.  Thank you.

14 Posts

Currently, Dell has the 8.634 drivers posted.  ATI has already moved on to 10.1.

I know it takes a while to get them validated so I understand the time gaps that develop.  I don't mean to rush ... just mentioning it.

14 Posts

By updates do you mean drivers?  I want to make sure we're both talking about the same thing.     It normally takes a bit of time for component drivers to be validated with the various model systems that we use before they're released to our Drivers & Downloads pages.  

I haven't looked in a while.   How far behind are the drivers on our download pages from what ATI has up?

The Dell site shows v8.634.0 and AMD's website shows v9.9. Release dates look to be pretty close together though, but that could be because of that time it takes to approve them.

14 Posts

v9.9?  Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place ... or maybe our computer specs call for different drivers for some reason.

I found the v10.1 drivers on AMD's website after selecting my card and it sent me to the following link:

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=win7/windows-7-64bit

1 Message

February 12th, 2010 18:00

Hey Todd from Dell

I'm in the process of sorting a new laptop, my search lead me to the studio xps 16 with RGB.

I'll be using the system for gaming and work, do i order now from dell uk and the try getting a replacment 130 psu once i recieve the item or hold off on a purchase?

All so the systems on the uk dell site have 16" screen the one detailed on the USA have 15.6 so i asume 16" would draw more power

Chris

3 Posts

February 12th, 2010 20:00

The 15.6 inch screens are regular and WLED screens, the 16 inch is the RGB screen.

12 Posts

February 12th, 2010 21:00

Hey yo, A07 is out. Verdict is that throttling still occurs according to others, quite a let down. I left my adapter in another city so I can't test it out yet. Bill, Todd, and Brad, can you provide any information for the community? What exactly is this update supposed to do. Surely it cannot just enhance CPU power management...

KG

14 Posts

February 12th, 2010 23:00

I installed the update and have the my 130w adapter plugged in. Popped open a game of Portal (caused stuttering before), cranked all settings and turned up the brightness all the way. Seemed to perform better than it did previously. It is not the most thorough test, sure, but so far so good.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2010 00:00

I think the A07 update did fixed it. Now I am able to play crisis and it is not having that power issue anymore. I really don't think that it has a power issue though because when I play this game before the audio also staggers but now that they fixed it the audio is still normal even I set all the settings to max. The framerate of the video when set to max is not that good but I think that it is because it has reach its limits not because of the power because the audio is still normal. My conclusion is that this power issue is solved. If your not satisfied with the framerate when playing games like crisis its better to get an alienware coz it has SLI.

Thank you DELL.:emotion-2:

My 1645 specs:

Processor: i7 720; RAM: 6GB; Video: ATI Radeon 4670

5 Posts

February 13th, 2010 00:00

Hi Todd! Is this the same issue with 1640? Does it also need the 130W power supply?

Btw, great job guys! Now I really feel that I am using a powerful laptop. Thank you!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 13th, 2010 04:00

if new BIOS is update maybe it's time that DELL do something official. I think it's time to start sending new AC adapter for the rest people in the world. :)

3 Posts

February 13th, 2010 06:00

so now that the new firmware is out... where can people outside of the US get the 130w power supplies?

14 Posts

February 13th, 2010 06:00

I recall one of the Dell Reps stating that the Bios 07 update required the 130watt charger replacement but this requirement is not listed on the dell bios update site.

Anyone yet know the neccessity/safety (and difference in performance) between bios 07 with 90 watt v 130 watt chargers?

10 Posts

February 13th, 2010 07:00

for some reason the bios won't instal. It keeps freezin during the update. Can anyone help me?

No Events found!