malkie0831
1 Copper

Re: DELL Studio XPS 16 1645 i7 power problem

Just use IE. Problem solved.

+1 to that!

I have installed A07 without any problems. This bios is definitely better, but the laptop still throttles under extreme load.

With Prime 85 running 8 threads, plus Furmark running in a 1024x 768 window, the CPU never exceeds 70 deg C and the GPU is about the same, but the multiplier drops back to between 9 and 10. Previously it would drop to 7 (933MHz cpu speed) and stay there. So it still doesn't run at the quoted speed (1.6Ghz on my i7-720) with the GPU at 100%, but it is much better.

But at least in just a GPU intensive program, like 3DMark 06 or Vantage, it seems to switch turbo mode on and runs much faster than it did.

0 Kudos
Pieter-Jan
1 Copper

Hi

This is probably the wrong place to post it but i didn't know where else to put it. ( i called tech support first but they couldn't help me because i didn't buy a system or something like that)

Dell's products and support have always been to my satisfaction and now i'm planning to buy a xps studio 16, but now i read all these issues i have some questions.

Will dell send a 130W adaptor if you order or will they send a 90W which you have to send back to get a 130W?

Does the A07 bios update work?

Might anyone know how long you have to wait to get your system, because with all the problems and all the shortage of parts i suspect there will be long waiting lists.

thnx in advance

P.S: i live in Belgium

0 Kudos
RaymondKL
1 Nickel

Hi All,

Received my new 130 watt (Thanks Dell) from Australia, Sydney

Also received a letter mentioning:

The original defective part from your system must be returned to dell within 10 business days from the delivery date of the replacement part. If the defective part is not returned to dell within this period, an invoice will be issued accordingly for the value of the part at dell's current price. Payment of the invoice is required within 30 days from the invoice date. Toe schedule part collection please contact the shipper as per contact details provided under shipper to arrange an appointment 

Not sure what to do.. emoticon.SuperAngry.title rather keep both...

0 Kudos
97mg
1 Nickel

The original defective part from your system must be returned to dell within 10 business days from the delivery date of the replacement part. If the defective part is not returned to dell within this period, an invoice will be issued accordingly for the value of the part at dell's current price.

I would send them back either the entire laptop, or just the air vent at the back (which is definately defective in terms of design). emoticon.BigSmile.title emoticon.BigSmile.title emoticon.BigSmile.title emoticon.BigSmile.title

DELL XPS 1645 i7-720QM 6GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM 500GB 7200RPM HD 15.6 LED DISPLAY ATI 4670 1GB

0 Kudos
RaymondKL
1 Nickel

[quote user="RaymondKL"]The original defective part from your system must be returned to dell within 10 business days from the delivery date of the replacement part. If the defective part is not returned to dell within this period, an invoice will be issued accordingly for the value of the part at dell's current price.

I would send them back either the entire laptop, or just the air vent at the back (which is definately defective in terms of design). emoticon.BigSmile.title emoticon.BigSmile.title emoticon.BigSmile.title emoticon.BigSmile.title

[/quote]

I like the way you think, worst case scenario is they send me a invoice for AUD130 and i'll just hit them up again ... emoticon.Cool.title

@97mg how are your experiences regarding all this!? been

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sirrob1
1 Nickel

How many other folks emailed Dell/Todd per his instructions about the adapter last week and never got any reply? 

I'd guess only the squeeky wheels get oiled. 

0 Kudos
Zarabadoo
1 Nickel

How many other folks emailed Dell/Todd per his instructions about the adapter last week and never got any reply? 

I'd guess only the squeeky wheels get oiled. 

I messaged him exactly how it was described to do and I got a response next day and the adapter the day after that. All without squeaking once. So if you did not get a response back, I doubt it was due to him ignoring you. I would assume with the sheer volume of requests that hit his inbox it probably just got missed somehow. To me that is a very human and understandable mistake. You may want to follow up, but it seems the situation is in the hands of customer the customer service department now.

0 Kudos
Sirrob1
1 Nickel

I also 'messaged him exactly how it was described to do' AND followed up two days later and still zero response.  You are quick to make excuses and defend Dell/Todd. 

I am still interested in how many others are victim of 'a very human and understandable mistake'.  Perhaps the power throttleing is just as human and understandable? 

0 Kudos
danp224
1 Copper

Victim...I've heard it all now.

Please note the date and time. This was sent by Todd at Dell.

At this point I've processed all the PMs that I received.   Most have had their adapters shipped out to them. Others either didn't provide me with the correct information, their information didn't match what we had on file and they couldn't provide original / matching information, they were requesting adapters be sent to them internationally, they requested adapters for non-1645 systems, or a multitude of other reasons.

If you believe that you were missed or you had questions why an adapter was not sent to you feel free to PM me at this point.   I will continue to process the adapter requests that straggle in over the next few days but at some point, and very soon, we'll transfer responsibility for sending out replacements to our Tech Support group.  That is what they are designed to do.

0 Kudos
aolee
1 Nickel

I called DELL tech support (Singapore) and tech support told me that I need to flash the BIOS with the A07 first and check if throttle still exists. (what can you say guys?)

The reason why i don't want to flash it without the 130W  is because... some say that it might draw more power on the 90W adapter and fry it.

Why don't they send it first?

Argh! they keep on saying they are aware of the issue, but in reality they don't! grrr!

0 Kudos