ben1604
1 Copper

DELL XPS-13 9360 requires hard power-down after sleep

I have a DELL XPS-13 9360 which won't resume from sleep mode - if it sleeps, I have to press and hold the power button (15 - 30 seconds, something like that) to hard restart the laptop in order to get it to boot. When I try and resume from sleep the keyboard backlight comes on, but nothing else happens, screen doesn't seem to wake up

I've drawn a blank trying to figure out what the problem is, event logger shows nothing between:

The system is entering connected standby Reason: Lid.

and when I hard-restart it

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The only other thing I can see is very large (1GB+) system memory dump files being created but the timestamps don't match up well, so this may be a separate issue

I'm running Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.693 fully updated, the laptop didn't originally have any issues sleeping but went back to Dell for a replacement keyboard (space bar didn't work properly) and the system was reimaged at that time and sleep hasn't worked since.

Thanks for any suggestions, this is a very frustrating issue 😞 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
samos1111
3 Zinc

RE: DELL XPS-13 9360 requires hard power-down after sleep

I've had different sleep-related issues with the XPS 15 9550.

One thing that solved one a couple times is reflashing BIOS - even if you've got the latest, just try reflashing.

Another problem was caused by a flawed switchover from sleep to hibernation. Try setting "Hibernate after" in advanced power option to Never. Also try disabling fast boot.

Another thing that worked for some is recreating a new UEFI boot option and moving it to the top of the boot sequence.

You could also try sfc /scannow from the admin command prompt, also chkdsk /f in case of file corruption.  

Another, reinstalling windows... This takes a lot of time though (doing a full backup and restore should return your configuration, but might also return the issues).

0 Kudos