Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2012 12:00

DELL XPS 15 Monitor does not dim or brighten on windows 8

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my computer to windows 8 on the new XPS 15 laptop and I have been experiencing an issue where I cannot adjust the screen brightness. I am currently running the computer in UEIF mode with secure boot enabled which seems to be a part of the problem. I can adjust brightness when the dell logo appears but once the circles appear under the dell logo the brightness cannot be adjusted. Nothing else on the system appears to be working incorrectly.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ian

15 Posts

November 14th, 2012 06:00

Installing a new update for windows that just came out, and downgraded the driver to the one on the dell website. Brightness settings now work.

Cheers,

Ian

• 

3.3K Posts

November 1st, 2012 23:00

Hi Xtreem0,

Please follow the below given steps to adjust the brightness level of the display screen in Windows 8.This will affect all users on the computer.

OPTION ONE: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Settings Charm
1. Open the Charms bar, and click on the Settings charm.
2. Click/tap on the brightness icon and move the slider up (brighter) and down (dimmer) to adjust the screen brightness to what percentage level you like.

OPTION TWO: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Power Options
1. Click/tap on the power system icon in the notification area on the taskbar, and click/tap on the Adjust screen brightness link.
2. At the bottom of Power Options, move the Screen brightness slider right (brighter) and left (dimmer) to adjust the screen brightness to what level you like.
3. When finished, you can close Power Options if you like.

OPTION THREE: To Adjust Plan Screen Brightness in Power Plan Settings
1.Open your Power Plan Settings.
2. Move the Adjust plan brightness sliders right (brighter) and left (dimmer) to adjust the screen brightness to what level you like for when your computer is On battery and Plugged in.
3. When finished, click on Save changes, and close the Power Options window.

OPTION FOUR: To Adjust Plan Screen Brightness in Advanced Power Settings
1.Open the Advanced Power Settings for your power plan.
2. Expand Display and Display brightness, and adjust the screen brightness to what percentage level you like when your computer is On battery and Plugged in.
3. When finished, click on OK, and close the Power Options window.

Please reply to this with the issues you are facing with Windows 8 for further assistance.

• 

3.3K Posts

November 1st, 2012 23:00

Hi Xtreem0,

Please follow the below given steps to adjust the brightness level of the display screen in Windows 8.This will affect all users on the computer.

OPTION ONE: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Settings Charm
1. Open the Charms bar, and click on the Settings charm.
2. Click/tap on the brightness icon and move the slider up (brighter) and down (dimmer) to adjust the screen brightness to what percentage level you like.

OPTION TWO: To Adjust Screen Brightness in Power Options
1. Click/tap on the power system icon in the notification area on the taskbar, and click/tap on the Adjust screen brightness link.
2. At the bottom of Power Options, move the Screen brightness slider right (brighter) and left (dimmer) to adjust the screen brightness to what level you like.
3. When finished, you can close Power Options if you like.

OPTION THREE: To Adjust Plan Screen Brightness in Power Plan Settings
1.Open your Power Plan Settings.
2. Move the Adjust plan brightness sliders right (brighter) and left (dimmer) to adjust the screen brightness to what level you like for when your computer is On battery and Plugged in.
3. When finished, click on Save changes, and close the Power Options window.

OPTION FOUR: To Adjust Plan Screen Brightness in Advanced Power Settings
1.Open the Advanced Power Settings for your power plan.
2. Expand Display and Display brightness, and adjust the screen brightness to what percentage level you like when your computer is On battery and Plugged in.
3. When finished, click on OK, and close the Power Options window.

Please reply to this with the issues you are facing with Windows 8 for further assistance.

15 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 16:00

Hi,

I have tried all those methods. The brightness bar will slide up and down but the monitor brightness remains uneffected.

• 

3.3K Posts

November 5th, 2012 10:00

Hi Xtreem0,

I suggest that you click on the link given below to download the Quickset application:

http://dell.to/RMxpYm

Please revert with the status to assist you further.

15 Posts

November 5th, 2012 14:00

OK installed the Quickset application. Bar still goes up and down but the brightness does not actually change.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 5th, 2012 15:00

Xtreem0,

Not on that system at the present time.

Hit the Windows key and the x keys at the same time, power options, advanced.

There may also be a setting in the battery life settings.

Press Fn and F2 or F2 and bring up the battery

Uncheck the Dell Extended Battery Life

Rick

15 Posts

Hmm Tried that out but still does not dim. I can only adjust the brightness when the laptop first boots (when UIEF boots)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Xtreem0,

Advanced power settings, turn off adaptive brightness, seemed to help for me.

Rick

15 Posts

November 5th, 2012 16:00

The box was already checked off for the Dell Extended battery life.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 6th, 2012 02:00

Xtreem0,

That was my best guess, maybe DELL-Sujatha K has something to suggest.

Rick

• 

3.3K Posts

November 7th, 2012 05:00

Hi Xtreem0,

I request you to check if you are able to make changes in the BIOS screen. Turn on the system, on Dell logo tap on the F2 key every 2 seconds. In the BIOS screen, check if you are able to increase or decrease the brightness using the keyboard short cuts. I also request you to reset the BIOS to its defaults. Press ‘F9’ to reset ‘F10’ to save and exit from the BIOS screen. Please check if you are able to change the brightness now. In case the issue is not resolved re-flash the BIOS once again. 

Click on the link give below to flash the BIOS:

http://dell.to/VNIYG4 

Please connect the ac adapter as this step needs uninterrupted power supply.  Do not use the system untill it restarts and comes up to the desktop.  

Please revert for further assistance. 

15 Posts

November 9th, 2012 04:00

I went through and flashed the bios, When in the bios I can adjust the screen brightness. I have SecureBoot and UEIF turned on and the legacy boot option turned off. Brightness still does not work when windows starts to load.

• 

3.3K Posts

November 12th, 2012 03:00

Hi Xtreem0,

I request you to update the chipset (Intel Huron River (HM67) driver) and Video card drivers in the respective order from the link below:

http://dell.to/Oc6q6S

To download video card driver click on ‘Video’ and from the list select the appropriate driver. Please restart the system after each download.

15 Posts

November 12th, 2012 05:00

I think that driver is for another laptop. Mine is the L521x. I currently have both the intel/nvidia drivers installed on the computer.

No Events found!