Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2013 10:00

DELL XPS L502x Do not recognize charger, CPU working only at 800MHz

Hello,

I am having 2 years old Dell XPS L502x with i5-2410 (2,3 GHz) CPU, preinstalled windows 7 pro 64 bit and 540 video card.

Yesterday it stopped recognizing the charger and probably stopped to charge the battery (91% but is not charged). The CPU is working only at base frequency - 800 MHz. Before Turbo boost monitor showed frequency of more than 2.5 GHz during startup. I've installed the CPU-Z but it also report the same.

I've reinstalled the chipset driver and updated the BIOS to A06, but without any result.

Could you help me?

2.6K Posts

October 2nd, 2013 11:00

Hello Ceco27,

Please help me understand since when are you facing the issue with the processor. Is it only after the AC Adapter not being recognized? If yes, please try the steps mentioned in the article on AC Adapter not recognized.

Please write back with your findings. 

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 11:00

The service tag is

I have run the test program from the support site and it says everything is OK

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 12:00

Hello Allan,

I think the problem with CPU appear when the problems with AC adapter
appeared. I tried the steps in the article, except I haven't removed the
battery. The blue light on the power cord is on. Windows detect that the
laptop is plugged in but not charging battery (which should be expected).

2.6K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 15:00

Hello Ceco27,

There are couple of things I would request you to check:

• Check if the AC Adapter is detected in BIOS. To enter BIOS setup, restart the computer and keep tapping F2 at the Dell logo screen.
  • I would also request you to check if the battery charge is disabled in battery meter. To open battery meter, click the battery icon on the system tray.

• In case the AC Adapter is not detected in system BIOS, the DC-in Module (the port where we connect the AC Adapter) needs to be replaced. 

Hope this helps!

4 Posts

October 4th, 2013 06:00

Thank you Allan,

BIOS does not recognise the AC adapter. I will call the service.

Thank you again.

2.6K Posts

October 9th, 2013 18:00

Hello Ceco27,

Please write back to us if you need any further assistance. 

November 21st, 2013 09:00

Any search on Google about this problem reveals hundreds of users facing the same problem. I suppose it should be clear to Dell why people are switching to Apple product en mass. Having bought practically the highest end XPS model with blue ray and 8GB etc. and not even having used it that extensively, the last think I expect is to have to change it's mother board because of a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>  bad quality power jack which does not detect the adapter type any more for 11000 !

Are you folks insane ? This is a common problem in all Dell laptops not just XPS. Dell MUST recall laptops and replace this for free for all users facing this problem. That is the least you can do. No one will buy Dell laptops in the future if you guys <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> up your customers like this and certainly not me and not my friends and family.

I own Apple devices and have NEVER faced any such issues on any of them which are even 5 to 6 years old and have actually been mishandled over time. Heck I have Toshiba and IBM laptops which are really old and still working fine.

I want you guys to call me and fix the problem. My laptop is barely 1.8 years old and this is NOT a problem I expect to be fighting with. 

No Events found!