Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

20 Posts

December 16th, 2008 07:00

DELL XPS M1710 OVERHEATING!!!!!

Hi,

i've had my dell XPS M1710 for just over a year, when first purhcased i had overheating issues when playing games, and i managed to get heat sinks and fans replaced on-site by dell, but then a few months down the line the overheating issues are still persisting. has anyone experienced the same problems with the same M1710 model? and does anyone have solutions for this problem?

Thanks

k1net1kz

Dell XPS M1710

Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 @ 2.16Ghz

512mb nvidia 7950GTX

2gb ram

160gb hd @ 5400 rpm

4.6K Posts

December 16th, 2008 09:00

Your only hope now is either a BIOS update, or... if you already have the latest BIOS installed... trying I8kFanGUI?

2 Posts

December 16th, 2008 10:00

Did you purchase a warranty from Dell? If so, call them. You may qualify for a product replacement.

This is a link to a similar problem.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19242918.aspx

20 Posts

December 17th, 2008 17:00

hi,

thanks, i have updated to the latest bios quite some time ago and the problem still remains the same. and also i have I8kFanGUI, and even with fans running at full, my rest temp still hits 65-70 celcius :/

20 Posts

December 17th, 2008 17:00

my warranty expired 2 months ago and im finding it difficult to get a hold of dell to find out what my options are.

do you or anyone reading know anything about notebook coolers? is it worth investing in one? would it help my problem? thanks

178 Posts

December 18th, 2008 03:00

Generally, a nice can of compressed air will blow out all the dust that has no doubt made it's home inside the fan exhaust duct in your laptop; try that?

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2008 11:00

I second giving the laptop a good clean out, but I'd recommend using a hoover with (i.e.) a small brush attachment, rather than compressed air :emotion-55:

Whilst compressed air is fine for desktop PC's - where the can can be manipulated, and the dust blown out of the system, you'd be blowing a lot of the dust into the interior of a laptop, which could make matters a whole lot worse instead of better :emotion-3:

do you or anyone reading know anything about notebook coolers? is it worth investing in one? would it help my problem?

A good laptop cooler would help lower your temperatures.  But to what extent is another matter?

I've heard of coolers such as the Zalman ZM-NC2000 and the NZXT Cryo LX drop the temperatures on some laptops by as much as 10°c :emotion-11:

But those are two of the most expensive coolers available.  The Cryo LX is probably the most expensive! 

So you'd expect them to be good - and they are.

But can you please clarify what temperature is reading 65 - 70°c?  Is it your CPU or graphics card?

If it's your CPU, you have reason to be concerned, because 65 - 70°c is about twice as hot as the CPU in my XPS M1730 runs at under normal load (each core is currently each sitting at 34°c)!

And if it is your CPU temperature, I reckon there must be something wrong with the cooling system, because there's no way it would reach such high temperatures, if everything was working properly?

If it's the typical temperature of your graphics card however, whilst it's above what it should be (my cards are currently sitting at 52°c), it's not something to be particularly concerned about.

Finally, what is your ambient room temperature like - i.e what is the typical room temparature where you use the laptop?

1 Message

July 27th, 2009 18:00

To Whom It May Concern,

We too have only had our Dell XPS M1710 laptop for a little over a year and conveniently after the warranty ran out so did our laptop. There is a Hot Topic posted by the chief blogger of the dell support site about previous models of the XPS where it had an NVIDIA GPU ISSUE which was a design flaw that leads to overheating and system failure. We contacted Dell about offering an extended warranty to fix this issue in our XPS and they said noone at Dell could help us. I would definitely not advise buying this laptop nor another Dell product due to lack of support and design flaws. As for this practically brand new supposed gaming computer that we are still paying for that is no more than a pretty paper weight I won't be renewing my warranty and paying shipping, diagnostic, labor, repair, and new parts to fix a problem Dell created. I wish I could take all the business I did with Dell back and will not be doing any business with them again in the future unless they come up with a reasonable way to resolve this issue.

Thank you

Matt Anderson

email:  <ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy>

2 Posts

November 30th, 2009 15:00

To:  Dell

Do you own or have you owned a Dell XPS M1710 with a graphics card GeForceGo 7950GTX? Has the graphics card failed due to over heating which has caused the memory to be damaged.

If it has your not alone. There are thousands of people with this exact same problem. After numerous card replacements which isn't cheap and phone calls to Dell, they aren't willing to do anything about the problem.

Please sign this p3t1t1on and hopefully with enough people DELL may recognise that there is a serious problem with the overheating of this card and the poor design which restricts air flow may RECALL all GeForceGo 7950GTX graphics cards.

Link to p3t1t1on - http://www.petitiononline.com/XPSM1710/

Thankyou for signing this p3t1t1on.

:emotion-12::emotion-14::emotion-12: 

2 Posts

March 31st, 2010 16:00

I have a Dell XPS M1710... 1 year old and never had a problem with it hardware wise, till now... Seems kinda strange that this particular model seems to have the same problem and it's all over the internet... I just had a Dell rep. out today, nice guy, replaces the cooling system and video card... All good till I run PCMark Vantage and it stresses the video and the temps go through the roof and it shuts down... Called the repair rep. back and he's calling Dell to see what the next step is... Wish me luck!!!

2 Posts

April 13th, 2010 23:00

Well I'm lucky enough to have another year on my warranty... I just got the call today in fact. They are replacing my system with a new model! As soon as the tech, gets the email for a go he's going to call me back to go over what the NEW system will be... Ya when the tech. came out both times I had him use my thermal paste that I used in my quad core 3-way SLI system Arctic Silver Ceramique! Didn't help... After motherboard/video card/cooling system change and with an ambient room tepm of 75 deg. my poor XPS fans just cant make up their mind now... One second there off then on full then low then high in no particular order... And it still over heats and shuts off when playing any grafix intensive games within 10 minutes... But I told them I wasn't interested in playing the keep replacing parts game. It's not worth it to me or them and I told them I didn't want another refurbished M1710 either, not with all the problems it has with over heating that is all over the net and their own forum. The tech. reluctantly agreed... So I guess I'll post back later this week or the first part of next and let ya know what they are replacing it with... The tech. said since I purchased a gaming laptop thats what they will replace it with and if it's NEW like he says then that can mean only one thing... Can you say "AlainWare"?!! After our M17xx series they bought out AlainWare... I think my biggest advantage in this experience was my technical knowledge and that I did my research and went through 90% of the things tech. support wanted to do each time I called... And keeping a cool head and not loosing my temper, thats the one that gets most people is attitude... I believe if  one starts with a good attitude it will end with good service. But most people are already at the end of their rope and angry by the time they try to calling support and they understandably have a bad attitude and ends with bad service... Ya get what ya give!

1 Message

January 14th, 2013 11:00

"Still persisting" is redundant.

4 Posts

May 1st, 2016 11:00

Looks like you quit  ...and Dell won. I won't ever buy another Dell, that's for sure.

No Events found!