Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 15th, 2009 03:00

DELL XPS m1710 video card problem

My laptop has video card problems. It is showing dots on the display like dead pixels but in different colors and different positions. After 10 minutes of working the display starts flickering. I've used the DELL diagnose utility and it had failed on video card fan test. I've made this test several times but only the first time the test had been failed. My opinion is that this is caused by the video card memory due to overheat problems. I know that this model has a replaceble video card. How to find and order a new video card? Also I want to put GeForce 7950GTX which is better than my current.
Thanks

4.6K Posts

December 15th, 2009 04:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

I've used the DELL diagnose utility and it had failed on video card fan test. I've made this test several times but only the first time the test had been failed.

My opinion is that this is caused by the video card memory due to overheat problems.

If the diagnostics tests indicate the problem is caused by a video card fan failure, then replacing the graphics card fan should be all that's required to remedy the problem?

Whether you eventually want to upgrade to a faster card or not (assuming that's possible in the first place of course?), it would still be worth looking into the possibility of replacing the fan, before splashing out a considerable sum on upgrading the graphics card itself.

If replacing the fan doesn't make any difference, then obviously the problem lies elsewhere (graphics RAM possibly?).  But it'll only have cost you a few $ to find out :emotion-55:

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 15th, 2009 04:00

One source:

http://www.global-motherboard.com/dell-video-card/GU067-512MB-Dell-M1710-Nvidia-Geforce-7950-GTX-Video-Card.html

The service manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsM1710/en/SM/index.htm

7 Posts

December 18th, 2009 12:00

If it were a video card fan failure, it would be a heat related problem. If it would be a heat problem, turning your computer off to let the card cool off would have been a good troubleshooting solution to diagnose the problem:

1) After cooling off the computer the artifacts (distortions, dots) are gone but gradually come back = temporary damage to your card due to...FAN failure/too weak.

2) After cooling off the computer the artifacts are STILL THERE = PERMANENT damage to your video card.

Solution: 

1) Spend close to $600.00 to replace it at Dell's

OR 2) See my other post for a do-it-yourself-free-repair

OR 3) Both

No Events found!