Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2010 12:00

DELL laptop inspiron 1150

the problem: when i press the power button the dell turns on but doesnot always post, starting and restarting is needed to post the dell. sometimes i have to let cool down and then come back to post it. also when it run window or even a new post it locks up and restart is needed . i have loaded most of the drivers the dell getting better,but i think heat might be part of my problem

2.2K Posts

January 15th, 2010 12:00

The Inspiron 1100 and 1150, along with the 510 0 and 5150, were pretty well known for heat issues.

Assuming the machine is clean and dust free at the vents (compressed air is good), the issue could be a bad fan / heatsink, which comes as one unit. I say that because on my Inspiron 1100 (same design as 1150), I had heating issues until I replaced the heatsink / fan unit (used a good thermal compound at the time, one of the Arctic peoducts,  and have not had a heating issue since then. It is an easy fix and  can be done by anyone...

Finding a new part may be more of a challenge.... Here is one on eBay (use at your own risk):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220489852444

By the way - it could be totally unrealted to heat, but if you suspect that, this would be a way to proceed....

No Events found!