Lmurphy17
Not applicable

DELL laptop start up

My Dell Inspiron 15 s/n <Service tag removed> will not start up.   It worked fine yesterday.

When I push the start button the light comes on and the laptop runs.  A DELL screen appears and then nothing.  I can briefly see Setup F2 on the bottom right side of the screen before it goes black.  Any suggestions.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LSUFAN51
6 Gallium

RE: DELL laptop start up

Please list Dell model and version of windows. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

In the meantime, run the diagnostic tool to check the hardware on the system by following steps below:

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals except AC adapter.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it. After quick tests, click on hard drive, and then Thorough Test Mode. Run Memory as well.Report back any error code.

0 Kudos
Ed11703
2 Bronze

RE: DELL laptop start up

Same thing happened to my friends W10 machine yesterday. He was in the process of loading a bunch of Windows updates and shut his computer off in the middle of the process because he claims that they were taking too long to load.. The updates were not loaded and caused the machine not to boot up upon restart. I simply disconnected the power cable from the wall and waited for about five minutes and tried a restart. Updates were finished loading and his computer was back to normal .Those pesky updates can really cause major issues if they are not properly installed.