balthazar0280
1 Copper

RE: DELL precision m4800 freezes/hangs randomly for 5secs or so and recovers.

Hi Bart. Any luck fixing? I have the same issue and it is so frustrating. Sometimes the machine has to be hard reset as it crashes completely.

0 Kudos
fallen1209
1 Copper

Same story here. Reinstalled everything couple of times, but freezing still occurs. Tried Windows 8.1, Windows 10 - to no avail! Is this occurring only on machines with AMD Video card?
I also have the feeling that despite that cursor is frozen - machine is working in background, because when it fails recover from such a "hang" ( sometimes I wait a minute and then I give up Smiley Happy ) - I press the power button and it works - laptop shutdowns in a regular manner. Could it be a Catalyst / AMD related only? I knew I could not trust AMD - *** it! I should have ordered a configuration with NVIDIA controller.

0 Kudos
Czagawara
1 Nickel

Hi Fallen 

I know what you were going through guys , it's so frustration when you buy works station and ending with the problem like that with no support.

But the good news is I fixed my issue there's no mouse lag any more, it's definitely do to AMD Driver 

I'm running Windows 10 

And a015 BIOS A016 is ok also.

I installed only necessary stuff without Dell ***.

I was backup that clean system and from there I started to instal drivers.If that didn't worked, I was coming back to clean version with backup software (Acronis) and doing everything again.

I can't give you guys all the steps because I went through so many thing that I don't even remember .

Don't instal cristal , I found that's could be one of the reasons for the freeze.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
fallen1209
1 Copper

Hi Czagawara,

Can you at least give me an idea what did you install from the Dell software? And what do you mean by "cristal" - in the last sentence of your post?

Keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
Czagawara
1 Nickel

So I installed :

-Bios A015

-All chipset drivers

-Mouse and keyboard if you are not using any fancy mouse or keyboard

-AMD drivers from AMD web  ,manually don't let software  detect your card .pick manually 

-Don't install inte power management software 

And I think that's all, there's allot ou unnecessary stuff which may  have/ or not  influence on performance.

Hope that will help you to solve the problem .

0 Kudos
Cheng Fei
1 Copper

I have the same issue here with my M4800 UHD 4k screen version. The freeze does not happen when docked on a external monitor(4k external monitor). But constantly happen randomly on my laptop screen. Dell replaced logic board 2 times. and replaced video card 1time. System upgraded to Win10 and reintalled again and again. All drivers are new.................................................... Machine still freezes few seconds every now and then. Really annoying. seriously affecting my working with this laptop.

0 Kudos
balthazar0280
1 Copper

Hi everyone,

Can anybody confirm that they have definitely fixed this issue. I am still fighting with this problem since October. Dell have looked at and already changed MoBo and Video card twice. Problem still occurs on both Win 7 and Win 10. I also have the 4k UHD screen. This is so frustrating!

0 Kudos
balthazar0280
1 Copper

Hi

I have found a workaround. I dropped the resolution on laptop down one notch from 3840x2160 to 3800x1800 and I no longer have cursor lag. Worth a try.

madridfran
1 Nickel

Same problem here with same configuration!! it is very frustrating. I tryed win 7 , win 10, ATi firepro drivers from dell website and amd. All the time I have cursor lag for 1 second.. a lot of time. If I unistall the drivers and use the generic windows graphics.. the problem is gone but it is imposible work with generic graphis from win10. 

Dell Please help to us!. 

0 Kudos

@Community,

Please see the answer here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19634796/20883383?rfsh=1455641905101

Dell engineering released the below drivers in order to resolve the issue:

Windows 10: http://www.dell.com/support/Home/3517397953/us/en/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=VC9R7

Windows 7 and 8.1: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=DHFNP&fileId=3518195415&os...

Please reply back if you have any feedback on this driver.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos