Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

May 25th, 2015 16:00

DELL precision m4800 freezes/hangs randomly for 5secs or so and recovers.

Hi ,

I had just bought a brand new dell precision m4800 laptop with the following specifications:

• Smartcard Reader Base (Non FIPS) for HD/FHD/UHD Panel
  • 1 Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 6MB 47W, w/HD Graphics 4600)
  • Energy Star, M4800
  • 1 15.6 inch UltraSharp IGZO UHD (3840x2160) 100% Color Gamut LED-backlit with Premium Panel
  • 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L
  • 1 256GB Solid State Drive Full Mini Card
  • 1 2nd 1TB 2.5 inch SATA (7200 Rpm) Hard Drive, OptiPlex
  • 1 No Extra Internal Hard Drives(Media Bay)
  • AMD FirePro M5100 w/2GB GDDR5
  • 1 Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0 LE Half Mini Card
  • 1 Intel Wireless 7260 Driver 
  • Internal English Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard
  • 1 Windows(R) 8.1 Pro (64Bit) English 
  • 9-cell (97Wh) Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge 

Well the problem is that I keep running into random freezes/hangs for a short span of time while doing any process on this machine. This is severely interfering with my productivity and workflow.

Looking forward for all the support that I can get.

12 Posts

September 30th, 2015 14:00

I got a replacement for the machine, and still the problem is not solved even after all the relevant updates.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2015 13:00

I have the same problem.  It's all over the internet.  Dell just messed up this one up and won't fess up.   I spent hours with Dell tech support twice and got the same denials.   They put you off and run you through numerous procedures until you get so sick of it you just give up (so much for the warranty).   I'll just live with the crashes until I can put it the trash and get a one that isn't a Dell.   Until then SAVE SAVE SAVE.

11 Posts

December 2nd, 2015 08:00

Same  here

Yesterday I received  my laptop and I'm  not very happy  right  now as a was when buying.

Ok so straight  away  I notes mouse  cursor freezing  every few minuts .freeze  time is about 2-3 seconds.

System is runing ok.if I play some move in the browser is not freeze at all. only cursor is freeze.

My Acction taken so far -

Reinstal windows

Instal drivers one by one

Run all posible diagnostic software

Instal AMD drivers from website and dell website

Nothing listed  above helped:-(

But.....

When I connect  external monitor thrugh hdmi all problems are gone!!!

When I set booth screens  visible all ok!!

When I set to see only laptop screen  but stil have external monitor connected  is also ok!!

Even when I have hdmi plugged  to laptop and its not plug to monitor everything, is ok!!

This is very strange  behaviour  

I would appreciate if someone  can help

Bart

January 3rd, 2016 20:00

Hi Bart. Any luck fixing? I have the same issue and it is so frustrating. Sometimes the machine has to be hard reset as it crashes completely.

January 6th, 2016 23:00

Same story here. Reinstalled everything couple of times, but freezing still occurs. Tried Windows 8.1, Windows 10 - to no avail! Is this occurring only on machines with AMD Video card?
I also have the feeling that despite that cursor is frozen - machine is working in background, because when it fails recover from such a "hang" ( sometimes I wait a minute and then I give up :) ) - I press the power button and it works - laptop shutdowns in a regular manner. Could it be a Catalyst / AMD related only? I knew I could not trust AMD - *** it! I should have ordered a configuration with NVIDIA controller.

11 Posts

January 7th, 2016 01:00

Hi Fallen 

I know what you were going through guys , it's so frustration when you buy works station and ending with the problem like that with no support.

But the good news is I fixed my issue there's no mouse lag any more, it's definitely do to AMD Driver 

I'm running Windows 10 

And a015 BIOS A016 is ok also.

I installed only necessary stuff without Dell ***.

I was backup that clean system and from there I started to instal drivers.If that didn't worked, I was coming back to clean version with backup software (Acronis) and doing everything again.

I can't give you guys all the steps because I went through so many thing that I don't even remember .

Don't instal cristal , I found that's could be one of the reasons for the freeze.

January 7th, 2016 01:00

Hi Czagawara,

Can you at least give me an idea what did you install from the Dell software? And what do you mean by "cristal" - in the last sentence of your post?

Keep up the good work!

11 Posts

January 7th, 2016 02:00

So I installed :

-Bios A015

-All chipset drivers

-Mouse and keyboard if you are not using any fancy mouse or keyboard

-AMD drivers from AMD web  ,manually don't let software  detect your card .pick manually 

-Don't install inte power management software 

And I think that's all, there's allot ou unnecessary stuff which may  have/ or not  influence on performance.

Hope that will help you to solve the problem .

1 Message

January 9th, 2016 19:00

I have the same issue here with my M4800 UHD 4k screen version. The freeze does not happen when docked on a external monitor(4k external monitor). But constantly happen randomly on my laptop screen. Dell replaced logic board 2 times. and replaced video card 1time. System upgraded to Win10 and reintalled again and again. All drivers are new.................................................... Machine still freezes few seconds every now and then. Really annoying. seriously affecting my working with this laptop.

January 24th, 2016 17:00

Hi everyone,

Can anybody confirm that they have definitely fixed this issue. I am still fighting with this problem since October. Dell have looked at and already changed MoBo and Video card twice. Problem still occurs on both Win 7 and Win 10. I also have the 4k UHD screen. This is so frustrating!

February 2nd, 2016 23:00

Hi

I have found a workaround. I dropped the resolution on laptop down one notch from 3840x2160 to 3800x1800 and I no longer have cursor lag. Worth a try.

18 Posts

February 4th, 2016 09:00

Same problem here with same configuration!! it is very frustrating. I tryed win 7 , win 10, ATi firepro drivers from dell website and amd. All the time I have cursor lag for 1 second.. a lot of time. If I unistall the drivers and use the generic windows graphics.. the problem is gone but it is imposible work with generic graphis from win10. 

Dell Please help to us!. 

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

February 16th, 2016 09:00

September 1st, 2016 00:00

Justin,

that driver (Windows 10 here) did not solve my problem.  I still got the freezes.
I did a follow-up with our local service rep, DSET diagnosis and everything, to no avail.

Now last week I received the Windows 10 1607 update on the M4800 and surprisingly, no more freezes so far! I'll keep watching it.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Best regards, klangmeister

3 Posts

September 1st, 2016 12:00

Mine still freezes.  Had it for two years and have learned to save, save, save.  Sometimes it'll freeze three or four times in a day, other days it doesn't.  I'm still running Windows 7 because of other business programs.  Let me know how 10 works out for you.

No Events found!