Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

May 25th, 2015 16:00

DELL precision m4800 freezes/hangs randomly for 5secs or so and recovers.

Hi ,

I had just bought a brand new dell precision m4800 laptop with the following specifications:

• Smartcard Reader Base (Non FIPS) for HD/FHD/UHD Panel
  • 1 Intel Core i7-4810MQ Processor (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 6MB 47W, w/HD Graphics 4600)
  • Energy Star, M4800
  • 1 15.6 inch UltraSharp IGZO UHD (3840x2160) 100% Color Gamut LED-backlit with Premium Panel
  • 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L
  • 1 256GB Solid State Drive Full Mini Card
  • 1 2nd 1TB 2.5 inch SATA (7200 Rpm) Hard Drive, OptiPlex
  • 1 No Extra Internal Hard Drives(Media Bay)
  • AMD FirePro M5100 w/2GB GDDR5
  • 1 Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0 LE Half Mini Card
  • 1 Intel Wireless 7260 Driver 
  • Internal English Backlit Dual Pointing Keyboard
  • 1 Windows(R) 8.1 Pro (64Bit) English 
  • 9-cell (97Wh) Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge 

Well the problem is that I keep running into random freezes/hangs for a short span of time while doing any process on this machine. This is severely interfering with my productivity and workflow.

Looking forward for all the support that I can get.

September 1st, 2016 13:00

Mine also seems to have stopped freezing after 1607 update. I am using the native driver that comes with Windows - 15.200.1045.0. Now I spotted that the AMD HD Audio device is with an exclamation mark and can not be started it gives code 19.

I will try the latest driver from DELL and state my experience.

Regards

Miroslav

September 2nd, 2016 01:00

Mine also seems to have stopped freezing after 1607 update. I am using the native driver that comes with Windows - 15.200.1045.0. Now I spotted that the AMD HD Audio device is with an exclamation mark and can not be started it gives code 19.

A small update here:

I have found some short freezes yesterday.  There was an update to Windows overnight, so we'll see how it goes today.

In general, the hanging/freezing seems to improve after sending the machine to sleep and waking it up again.  If anyone wants to try that?

Haven't tried native drivers yet.  How do I make Dell drivers go away?

September 2nd, 2016 01:00

Mine still freezes.  Had it for two years and have learned to save, save, save.  Sometimes it'll freeze three or four times in a day, other days it doesn't.  I'm still running Windows 7 because of other business programs.  Let me know how 10 works out for you.

Brenda - it seems you may have a different problem. Does your machine freeze and stay frozen (i.e. it crashes)? If yes, then it likely is a different issue than what's described here.

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 06:00

Maybe. 

I've been looking at freeze-communication on this model (M4800) all over the internet.  I had Dell tech look into it a couple times (remotely) during the first year to no avail.  I did not send  my computer in for repair (something about the mother board) because I have to earn a living with it, and even with the one-year service I purchased, they're not about to send a technician to far West Texas.   I was hoping Dell would just send me a new one - I could transfer all my data - then  I would send them the *** one back, but no...Dell doesn't do that of course.  Anyway, I continue to randomly crash, as I have from day one...it's a total freeze.  The only way to get it back is to power down.   I've used Dell for my business for the last 15 years;  this will likely be my last.

1 Message

October 7th, 2016 21:00

I have just purchased  a M4800 with the 4k UHD monitor and the AMD FirePro M5100 w/2GB GDDR5.

I installed the driver listed above and the issue has not been resolved.

Temporary monitor freezes seem less frequent, but it seems all freezes remain permanent.

As reported on this thread external displays never have this issue, and if I am on a Go To Meeting the person on the other end can see my mouse move even though I cannot.

What is the final fix for this issue?

2 Posts

October 24th, 2017 10:00

This has been a problem forever for me. It briefly went away in a driver update for a few months but then came back. Disabling the AMD performance profile monitor (AMDPPCDU.exe) seems to be the latest thing that makes i better for me ... see community.amd.com/.../220480

No Events found!