Carrac1234
1 Nickel

RE: DELL precision m4800 freezes/hangs randomly for 5secs or so and recovers.

what should I do ? the PC has passed all the diagnostics tests also.

Hi Carrac1234,

Sorry to hear that! As it sounds like your hardware is passing diagnostics I would focus troubleshooting on software. Testing in safe mode and reinstalling the operating system should also help confirm this. There’s a Microsoft Fixit that should automatically push the system to Windows management, found HERE. If you’ve not already though I would suggest making sure the systems Firmware and BIOS is up to date with the latest released on the support site, Hard drive firmware updates are available from many manufactures that could have an effect on this. Dell Command Update should have installed the latest Drivers on your system but I’d suggest testing with other revision of IRST from the support site as well, this would also help rule out compatibility issues specifically with the software installed on your system.

Have you also tested different power profiles or with the system on battery as well as connected to AC?

0 Kudos
Carrac1234
1 Nickel

i did everything. This is really annoying. Please help me.  

0 Kudos
Carrac1234
1 Nickel

can you fix it through remote access/ assistance ?

0 Kudos

Hey  Carrac1234,

If everything above has no effect on the locking issue at all I would suggest reinstalling the operating system. Even with the system passing hardware diagnostics, as the problem is still occurring for you in safe mode, there’s a possibility this is hardware related. Components such as memory or the hard drive could be the point of failure if the problem continues with a clean windows installation.

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN130027/EN

I can check on service and technical support options in your region if you PM me your details.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Carrac1234
1 Nickel

There seems to be a problem when i am trying to send you the PM. I have successfully uninstalled the IRST software and drivers and refreshed my system a couple of time yet there seems to be no effect on the problem

We have several of M4800s with this configuration in the office. Several of us had the same issue described here. We decided it must be a graphics card issue after we noticed that the external monitors were still responsive when the laptop screen was frozen. The solution that eventually worked was to uninstall the Catalyst drivers. Best of luck.

0 Kudos
Carrac1234
1 Nickel

I got a replacement for the machine, and still the problem is not solved even after all the relevant updates.

0 Kudos
1Brenda1
1 Copper

I have the same problem.  It's all over the internet.  Dell just messed up this one up and won't fess up.   I spent hours with Dell tech support twice and got the same denials.   They put you off and run you through numerous procedures until you get so sick of it you just give up (so much for the warranty).   I'll just live with the crashes until I can put it the trash and get a one that isn't a Dell.   Until then SAVE SAVE SAVE.

0 Kudos
Czagawara
1 Nickel

Same  here

Yesterday I received  my laptop and I'm  not very happy  right  now as a was when buying.

Ok so straight  away  I notes mouse  cursor freezing  every few minuts .freeze  time is about 2-3 seconds.

System is runing ok.if I play some move in the browser is not freeze at all. only cursor is freeze.

My Acction taken so far -

Reinstal windows

Instal drivers one by one

Run all posible diagnostic software

Instal AMD drivers from website and dell website

Nothing listed  above helped:-(

But.....

When I connect  external monitor thrugh hdmi all problems are gone!!!

When I set booth screens  visible all ok!!

When I set to see only laptop screen  but stil have external monitor connected  is also ok!!

Even when I have hdmi plugged  to laptop and its not plug to monitor everything, is ok!!

This is very strange  behaviour  

I would appreciate if someone  can help

Bart

0 Kudos