Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2013 11:00

DEll N5050 laptop is not turning on

my DELL n5050 laptop is not turning on. if the battery is fully charged its not turning on. after removing the btry and connecting the power cable still not turning on. but some times it turns on without any trouble.can u help me to solve this.......

1.5K Posts

August 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi Hansaka,

Please ensure the power button is not loose and is pressedI would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter

You may run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

You may update the system BIOS, please refer to the link: http://dell.to/19NTtiP.

Keep me posted with the findings. I will be glad to assist you.

10 Posts

August 9th, 2013 01:00

Thanks Amogh for ur support, I did the steps u ask me to do. No error messages got. Also updated the system BIOS still the problem is there. I removed the battery and turned on the  laptop with Ac adapter then it starts normally. Next time I connected the both battery and the AC adapter same time then laptop didnt start. can u plz clarify this............

1.5K Posts

August 9th, 2013 18:00

Hi Hansaka,

You may try to turn on the system just on battery without AC adapter. Please observe if the system works normally just on AC adapter. You may try connecting another good known battery, if possible. If the issue persists with good known battery as well then issue is with the motherboard. 

If you are comfortable in replacing the motherboard and you are residing in the US, you may contact dell spares to check for the price. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/11GOIPD. For Owner’s Manual, please refer to the link: http://bit.ly/Tm9a4F.

You may contact Dell Out of Warranty Repairs (OWR) department in US by referring to the link: http://dell.to/15Ru1qU.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

10 Posts

August 19th, 2013 22:00

system turns on just on battery but some times doesn't on. laptop get heats even it is shut downed. Is there a way to solve this without replacing motherboard? can u plz help me in this...

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 20th, 2013 00:00

Hi Hansaka,

I would suggest you to clean the air vents with a can of compressed air.

I’d suggest you to run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press to begin the PSA.
  4. Write down any error codes listed. Reply to us with the error codes.

Also, please connect known good compatible AC adapter to check if system is stable.

I would suggest you to update the BIOS for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/ZaQuel

Please let me know if this helps.

10 Posts

August 20th, 2013 02:00

Hi Ravi I ran the diognostics and didnt get any error code and no problem with the hardwares. I updated the system bios too. problem still persists. I will do the other things u asked me to do and reply with the results. Tanku very much.

10 Posts

August 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi Ravi I replaced the battery of the my laptop with a healthy one. it didnt turn on. I did the same thing with the charger it is not charging. I cleaned the air vents too. still problem persists. Now on startup i get beep sounds four by four. plz help me..

10 Posts

August 24th, 2013 05:00

I have taken the number of beep sounds incorrectly. its like this 5 beeps again 5 beeps then 2 beeps. Thank u

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 26th, 2013 16:00

Hi Hansaka,

If its 4 Beep code coming up on the system then it should be Memory read / write failure. If it’s 5 Beep code coming up on the system then it should be CMOS battery failure. I would suggest you to drain the residual power from the laptop again to confirm the correct Beep code:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter
  • Remove the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter

10 Posts

August 26th, 2013 19:00

Hi Ravi, Thank u for ur guidance. I confirmed that it is a 5 beeps sound. Is CMOS battery failure compatible with the problems in my laptop? Can I know what are the problems that can caused by CMOS battery failure. Tank u.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 28th, 2013 11:00

Hi Hansaka,

It should be an issue with the CMOS battery connector on the system board or CMOS battery. I would suggest you to contact a local technician to replace the CMOS battery on the system for issue resolution. If still the system gives you the same error after replacing the CMOS battery you may have to replace the system board.

Or you may contact our out of warranty department for repairs at 1-800-288-4410.

No Events found!