Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2012 18:00

DEll XPS M1530 not booting

I've a Dell XPS M1530 bought in India in July 2008. Recently it has stopped working. On closer inspection I found that the heat sink fan starts momentarily and stops within 3-4 seconds. The laptop continues heating up so i guess the HDD is running. No lights come up.

I tried the display test by pressing D while starting and the display shows different colors.

I tried pressing "Fn" key wile starting up and the numlock blinks continuously while other two are lit steadily. 

I've opened up the heat sink and refitted, shuffled the memory modules, removed the processor and replace it again but nothing works.

What could be the fault?

BTW, the power button lights up momentarily and then goes out. I dont remember if this used to happen earlier. I think the power button used to stay on.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It's most likely a bad system board - either the video chip or another component has failed.

On a system of this age, it's a better idea to replace than spend a few hundred dollars in replacing a system board.

Thanks ejn63 for prompt reply. If thats the problem, is there a chance that the hair dryer heating method might work? there are lots of videos on youtube of it working.

Anyway, i dont remember if a CD is stuck in my laptop slot drive. And I dont get any sound of dvd drive self test.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 4th, 2012 19:00

A hair dryer won't get hot enough to fix the problem if it's the video chip.  Sometimes, a baking in an oven for 10 min at 350 F will work - if only temporarily -- and if it's a video chip problem.

December 5th, 2012 18:00

can you suggest a video link which shows the process of opening up the laptop step by step?

No Events found!