Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2013 12:00

DVD drive issue

Hi everyone,

I have a dell studio 1555. I am recently facing some issue with my dvd drive. Anytime I insert a DVD with a movie, the autoplay does not run and DVD drive shows the dvd as blank. Can you please help me as what could be the problem. Thanks for your help.

Sanjay 

1.5K Posts

August 9th, 2013 13:00

Hi Sanjay,

You may uninstall and reinstall latest firmware for the optical drive. Please follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘DVD/CD ROM drives’.
  • Right click on the entry listed under it and click ‘Uninstall’.
  • Restart the system and insert a movie disk to check if it’s working now.

Please share the operating system and the media player installed. You may install ‘K-Lite Mega Codec’ from the link: http://bit.ly/44R2dh.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

August 11th, 2013 09:00

Hi Amogh,

Thanks for replying to my query.

I followed the steps you had mentioned but that did not help. I have tried with few different dvds but it still shows the dvd as blank every time I insert it. I checked the properties of my DVD/CD ROM drive and it says it is working fine, but still I am not able to play any movies on it.

My operating system is: Window 7 64-bit

Media player installed is: Media player Classic - Home Cinema and VLC media player.

Thanks for your help.

Sanjay

1.5K Posts

August 12th, 2013 19:00

Hi Sanjay,

Please paste the screenshot of ‘Device Manager’ with Disk Drive expanded. Please follow the steps below:

•  Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘Disk Drives’.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you.

August 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi Amogh,

Thank you so much for looking into this issue and helping in resolving this issue.

How do I send you the screenshot as I am not able to paste it here.

Thanks,

Sanjay

1.5K Posts

August 13th, 2013 12:00

Hi Sanjay,

Thank you for the response. Below is the screenshot on how to attach images. To reply click on 'Use rich formatting':

Once you click on the icon, a window will open. Click on 'Browse' to browse the image. Once the file is uploaded, click on 'Insert':

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

August 14th, 2013 12:00

Hi

1.5K Posts

August 16th, 2013 18:00

Hi Sanjay,

Thank you for the information. You may install the latest firmware for the CD/DVD drive from the link: http://dell.to/14TtbIc.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. 

August 18th, 2013 13:00

Hi Amogh,

Thanks for help the help. I tried updating the latest firmware, but whenever I run the file (GA11 N_A101.exe) it gives an error message that update has failed with 18 pairs of zeros, I hope I am running the file properly.

Thanks,

Sanjay

1.5K Posts

August 19th, 2013 16:00

Hi Sanjay,

Please share the exact error message you are getting while installing the firmware. Please share te Hardware ID of DVD drive. You may follow the steps below;

• In ‘Device Manager’, right click ‘HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA31N’.
  • Click ‘Properties’.
  • Click ‘Details’.
  • Search for ‘Hardware ID’.
  • Provide the numbers after VEN and DEV.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

August 20th, 2013 12:00

1.5K Posts

August 20th, 2013 18:00

Hi Sanjay,

Thank you for the information. It seems the updated version is already installed that is why the error is coming. I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

August 26th, 2013 12:00

Hi Amogh,

Thanks for your support.

I ran the hardware diagnostic as suggested by you. The system is showing all hardware as PASS; but I am still not able to play any dvd on my system.

The drive details are:

VEN: 8086

DEV: 2929

SUBSYS: 02BE1028

Thanks,

Sanjay

1.5K Posts

August 26th, 2013 17:00

Hi Sanjay,

Thank you for the information. you may try installing the drivers from the link: http://dell.to/1dJPOCs.

Hope this helps. please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

August 27th, 2013 13:00

Hi Amogh,

Thanks for your time in helping me resolve this issue.

I downloaded and ran the third and fourth file from the link that you had send, but still I am not able to play any dvd on my system.

Thanks,

Sanjay

1.5K Posts

August 28th, 2013 18:00

Hi Sanjay,

Please provide me the Service Tag and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so I may access your records and check for further course of action.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

No Events found!