Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2017 23:00

DVI suddenly stopped working on old PD01X and PR01X docks.

Hello,  DVI output suddenly stopped working some months back. I have multiple docks to test with, as well as multiple laptops [M6300's and D630's]. None of them work.

Although my system is complex it has been working flawlessly for years. I have a kvm switch as well as a DVI splitter however I bypassed all of that testing the DVI dock problem.

When using the DVI on the laptop with no dock it works fine, so it's not the monitor or the cable.

Tested using just the M6300 [several] on the dock then DVI out directly to monitor, no go.  

I use mainly Manjaro Linux, I tried booting from a live Manjaro CD made way before the problem started, same thing. Thought it might be a video driver problem but that would seem to rule that out.

I have a D630 laptop with Windows XP professional, same thing.

I have found no info on others having this problem, certainly I must be missing something here if I'm the only one! Again let me stress, everything worked flawlessly for years with the DVI then suddenly stopped. Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

4 Posts

July 26th, 2017 06:00

Sorry again, the XP laptops do not hang every time at boot, I just successfully restarted on the dock to DVI. Anyway, this came out of the blue and is not the docks, peripherals, or possibly even what OS is running. There has to be a fix.

4 Posts

Hello, OP here, don't know what was happening before but I was able to use DVI out on the dock with 2 laptops running Windows XP [d630 and m6300]. So it appears it may be Linux related.

On Linux [Manjaro], the display manager SHOWS THE EXTERNAL MONITOR, it is just not getting any video signal.

Running a Linux live CD made way before the problem started yields the same result, no DVI. Wouldn't that seem to suggest that it is not a driver change or something like that?

System working with XP shows that everything is fine with the dock, cables, monitors, etc. Can anyone throw me a bone here? I can't proceed with these old laptops without the dock. I was hoping to get many more years out of this old system, my computing needs are very modest.

Again let me stress I have multiple docks to test with the Linux system, none of them work, it is not the dock or peripherals.

thanks for your time and any info/suggestions

4 Posts

Sorry, addendum to above: although the DVI is working with the 2 XP laptops, both laptops will hang at boot if started on the dock. I have to "trick" it: boot up then place it on the dock.

With the XP laptops hanging at boot on the dock but DVI working when you place the running laptop on the dock, and the Linux laptops will boot on the dock, show the connected monitor through the DVI, but the monitor is not producing video, could that indicate a possible Nvidia driver problem?

No Events found!