Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2010 04:00

DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card, non-USA location

I have a shiny new Dell Inspiron M301Z, and very nice it is, too.  :emotion-1:  There's just one thing...

Its WiFi adapter is a DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card.

The location listed on the Advanced tab of the card's properties is USA.  This allows channels 1-11, as shown in the DW WLAN Card Utility > Information tab.

I need to change this to UK/Europe, so that the card will connect to access points on channels 1-14.

At home I have three APs, on channels 1, 6 and 13 (for roaming).  I could change the 13 to 11, but that would still leave the problem on the laptop, e.g. if I want to use it somewhere else and channels 12-14 are required.  For my home location, channels 1, 6 and 13 are best  for optimal performance and to minimise interferance from neighbouring APs.

In the cards properties, the location USA setting is the only one available.  (The drop-down lists only USA)

Dell Support site has the following driver download:  Wireless WLAN 1501 Half Mini Card, 10/05/2010  5.60.48.35, A01.  This is the same version as on the laptop.

The Windows 7 regional settings are correct, i.e. UK.

Question:  Is there a way to change the card's location setting to UK or Europe, or to override the USA channel range to include 12-14?
A registry edit, perhaps?
Hope someone can help.  :emotion-43:

3 Posts

November 13th, 2010 06:00

Details of wireless channels, frequencies, bands and the countries in which they are available:

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/wireless/wi-fi/80211-channels-number-frequencies-bandwidth.php

I don't have a solution to the reported problem, but am interested to see one  :emotion-40:

Toz.

1 Message

February 6th, 2011 11:00

I had the same problem and couldn't find anything via G**gle. Therefore I started experimenting. The solution for me came once I added a key in the registry:

I used driver version 5.60.48.35. Goto this key (on my machine):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}\0010\Ndi\params\Country\enum]

Here you see one string value US with the value USA

Add another string value EU with the value Europe

After that you can go to your wireless properties where you have the field "Connect using:" with the button "Configure" which you press.

Next window you select the tab "Advanced" and there the Property "Country" which now offers "Europe" which you select. After "OK" you're done and your PC should connect to the router even on channel 13.

Might be that the key looks slightly different on your machine then goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM (SYSTEM must be highlighted) and start a search for "Wireless" . This brings you to a key where all your wireless settings are listed. Check whether this is for your wireless card. From there you click the "+" to open the key and go down (multiple "+") to Ndi / params / country / enum and follow the instructions above.

Hope this helps ...

No Events found!