Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 28th, 2017 14:00

December Windows 10 Update breaks XPS 15 wifi

My wifi suddenly stopped working on December 9 following a Windows 10 Update. Device Manager says that a working driver is installed for the device, but Network Connections says I have NO wifi device.  The airplane mode switch allows me to turn Bluetooth on and off, but has no switch for wifi.

I rolled back the Windows Updates to November, and my wifi reappeared and worked fine.  Unfortunately, after 10 minutes it vanished again.  I soon realized that WIndows Update had automatically installed the December update again and re-broken my wifi!  I repeated this cycle a few times, as there is no user interface for telling WIndows Update to not install things.

In the end, I went to Services and disabled the Windows Update Service.  Done.  Now my wifi works, and it stays fixed.

This is not a satisfying solution, as it means that I will NEVER run Windows Update again.  At least not until I turn the service back on.  But when will I know it is safe??  Do I have to try every month after each Windows 10 Update is released?  Ugh.

Help please.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 30th, 2017 02:00

It might be an issue with the Microsoft  Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter. Disable it in the Device manager (follow the instructions here):

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/20027262 

No Events found!