Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2015 16:00

Dedicated Video Memory Problem

Hi DELL

Yesterday I purchased DELL 5548 core i7 2.4 with 8GB Ram , 1000GB Hard and 4GB Dedicated Graphic Card. I am using window 8.1 pro and as you know i have 4gb dedicated graphic card my in Advance Setting it's show only 0MB Dedicated Video Memory Please help me in my old laptop i don't have this problem :)

i installed latest driver from DELL website and also try to install AMD driver from amd website but still my problem is not solved :(

2nd Problem

The right side of the palm rest up through the top of the keyboard (by the number pad) gets very warm please help me :(

3rd Problem

battery timingis very low :( why ? i am disappointed from

August 15th, 2015 07:00

Please help me DELL

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2015 08:00

Open the device manager -- is the Intel video entry the only one there under display adapters, or is there a second one as well?  The Inspiron 15-5000 series showing on Dell's website has only Intel video -- it has no dedicated video RAM of its own.

August 15th, 2015 13:00

Hi DELL 5548 also have dedicated card please check this screenshot, i also installed latest driver from DELL official website

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2015 14:00

It doesn't look like there is any problem. 

Windows will always see the Intel GPU as primary (it has no video RAM of its own) -- the AMD GPU is a co-processor, which appears to have a properly loaded driver.  It is controlled by the Catalyst/Enduro control panel under Windows.

August 15th, 2015 18:00

in my 1st screenshot i show you my problem my dedicated graphic card is 4gb  but in 1st screenshot window it's showing "Dedicated Video Memory" = 0MB :( also i installed latest version of amd and intel driver, intel is working but amd is not running properly it's showing 0mb :( 

In my old HP laptop i have 2gb+ dedicated amd card it's work like a charm did not face any problem in 2 years :) in my old laptop advance setting tab is always show "Dedicated Video Memory" = 2596 someting like that :)

Any Solution for this Dedicated Video Memory 0MB Problem ?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2015 18:00

Your old system likely did have true, dedicated discrete video.  Your new one does not.

What you have is muxless, software-controlled hybrid video.  There is no physical connection between the AMD GPU and the screen - therefore what you see under Windows is ONLY the Intel GPU, which in turn has no discrete video memory of its own.  The AMD GPU is controlled by software (the AMD Catalyst suite). If you look at the AMD Catalyst control panel you will see the dedicated video RAM available to the AMD GPU as well as be able to choose it when running specific applications.

The AMD GPU is not and cannot be made a true discrete GPU - you CAN still find true, discrete AMD or nVidia video - on 17" Alienware and Precision systems, and similar competing systems from other vendors.  You will not find true, dedicated AMD or nVidia GPUs in systems that sell for under about $1,000 these days, though. 

Everything from the low end through the upper mid-range of the market is hybrid these days. 

There's nothing wrong with your system - it's just designed differently than what you're used to.

August 17th, 2015 10:00

Hi i know AMD is control by AMD control panel, i also add GTA IV in AMD switchable graphic setting but whenever i play GTA IV it's play on 800x600 screen resoulation. i also try to change screen resoulation of GTA IV in GTA optiion < Graphic setting but i face graphics error "you can not change resoulation due to limited graphics resources" something like that.

In my old laptop i controlled my dedicated card via AMD Catalyst Control panel but still it's show in advance setting "dedicated video memory = 2096 MB " .

This problem face by many peoples i search online and find many links like HP, Microsoft etc.. Please Google this keyword phrace "Dedicated Video Memory 0 MB " you will find many links please try read and if you understand the issue please help me because i can't understand , i will appreciate your help.

However today i claim my laptop i have dell local warranty , i explain my all problem to support staff Let's see what happend :) ?

Thank You So Much :)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2015 12:00

A quick search shows that (relatively old) game has a problem when there's more than 2G of video RAM.

< >

Try that.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2015 04:00

What does the AMD Catalyst control panel report for the memory in the system (NOT the WIndows control panel)?

August 19th, 2015 04:00

My Problem is not only with GTA IV but with "Dedicated Video Memory" Option :( Is there anyway to talk with direct DELL Coustmer Support other than mobile phone ? or may be you have any other idea to solve this problem :) ?

August 21st, 2015 12:00

check this out :)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2015 13:00

That's exactly what you should see.  There's nothing wrong with the system - it's showing up exactly the way it should show up.

August 21st, 2015 19:00

i know my graphic card is working and also read your GTA iv link and y GTA iv is working fine now but i still wana know why my dedicated video memory = 0MB ? i got my laptop back after 3 days of claim and he said "sir nothing wrong with your laptop it's genration diff" do you believe that it's just generation diff?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2015 19:00

See above.  Windows sees ONLY the Intel GPU, which indeed has no video RAM of its own.

The AMD GPU is addressed by the AMD driver and feeds data to the Intel GPU before you see it on screen.

It is exactly as they tell you it is - your system has a software-controlled hybrid video system.

August 22nd, 2015 13:00

i am completely agree with you :) but i have one little question why in my old system dedicated graphic card memory show in advance setting >? whats the diff between my old laptop ad current one ?

My Old Laptop

Hp Envy 4 3rd Gen with 2 gb dedicated card

Current Laptop

DELL 5548 5th Gen with 4gb dedicated card

whats the diff between my old laptop ad current one ?

No Events found!