Highlighted
8 Xenon

RE: Dedicated Video Memory Problem

What does the AMD Catalyst control panel report for the memory in the system (NOT the WIndows control panel)?

Highlighted
MaikHamzaBahu
1 Copper

check this out 🙂

Highlighted
8 Xenon

That's exactly what you should see.  There's nothing wrong with the system - it's showing up exactly the way it should show up.

Highlighted
MaikHamzaBahu
1 Copper

i know my graphic card is working and also read your GTA iv link and y GTA iv is working fine now but i still wana know why my dedicated video memory = 0MB ? i got my laptop back after 3 days of claim and he said "sir nothing wrong with your laptop it's genration diff" do you believe that it's just generation diff?

Highlighted
8 Xenon

See above.  Windows sees ONLY the Intel GPU, which indeed has no video RAM of its own.

The AMD GPU is addressed by the AMD driver and feeds data to the Intel GPU before you see it on screen.

It is exactly as they tell you it is - your system has a software-controlled hybrid video system.

Highlighted
MaikHamzaBahu
1 Copper

i am completely agree with you 🙂 but i have one little question why in my old system dedicated graphic card memory show in advance setting >? whats the diff between my old laptop ad current one ?

My Old Laptop

Hp Envy 4 3rd Gen with 2 gb dedicated card

Current Laptop

DELL 5548 5th Gen with 4gb dedicated card

whats the diff between my old laptop ad current one ?

Highlighted
8 Xenon

Some of the Envy systems had a MUX-based switchable video system where there was a hardware switch to enable true discrete video.  Your Dell system does not - it is entirely software controlled.

Highlighted
MaikHamzaBahu
1 Copper

Ok Thanks 🙂 i appreciate 🙂

Highlighted
khushwell
1 Copper

Hey MAIKHAMZABAHU,

I also faced the same issue while running games(especially GTA IV) so what I did as mentioned on other forums(getting infinite loading screen i.e while opening the game it was just showing the loading screen)

so what I did even on my machine dedicated video memory is 0 mb but then also I was able to run the games, Here are the steps which I followed-

1. Created shortcut of game exe file.

2.Go to Properties--> Target 

3.  In Target--> at the end of file path after "  and one space type -availablevidmem 32.0

(Even having 0 mb dedicated video memory type 32.0)

4.Click on OK

5. Now go to your dedicated graphics control panel(say nvidia or ati) and browse to that shortcut which you created and under preferred graphics processor for this program select  "High Performance Processor" in my case it was "High-performance Nvidia processor" click on OK.

6. Now run your game through that shortcut. I think the game will run properly.

My laptop configurations are-

i5 4th gen, 4 GB RAM and 2 GB NVIDIA GEFORCE 840M Dedicated graphic card.

I think this will help.

Highlighted
nasr22
1 Copper

i have the same broblem this value cahnges from zero to its value from registery or change windows8