Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

December 10th, 2017 18:00

Dedicated graphics card not detected in brand new Inspiron?

Hi all,

I recently ordered a Dell Inspiron 5576 and it arrived on Friday.

I fired up one of my games and noticed the performance was not very good. This was surprising to me since the unit was supposed to include an AMD R7 M445 graphics card - hardly top of the line, but I expected it to perform at least as well as the graphics card in my 5-year-old laptop.

I looked at my system information and it lists Intel HD 620 as the graphics adapter. However, if I check against the purchase order and the system configuration on the support website they both clearly indicate that it's supposed to have the AMD graphics card.

I've checked the device manager, used DXDiag, GPU-Z, checked the BIOS, updated the BIOS and chipset drivers, and tried installing the driver for the AMD card and nothing has worked to indicate that this computer has the graphics card it's supposed to have.

I really don't want to have to return the laptop, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions that I can investigate before having to send it in for a replacement.

9.4K Posts

December 11th, 2017 05:00

Hi seriousgeorge,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your system is not working as expected.

The AMD GPU is not a dedicated, separate GPU - it's a coprocessor.  It feeds all data to the Intel GPU as it passed to the screen.  So -- the Intel GPU will ALWAYS show active to windows and most utilities.

Here is some information from the Dell Knowledge Base you may find helpful.

December 11th, 2017 07:00

Hi Robert,

Isn't there any way I can detect the chip? Like I said, I can't see ANY indication that the chip exists in this computer. Not through device manager, Dell's System Assist, the BIOS, GPU-Z (which normally will show booth chips and indicate that the one is a co-processor).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 11th, 2017 08:00

This series is available with AMD processors or Intel processors -- it sounds like yours came with Intel, not AMD (otherwise you would not see an Intel GPU in the device manager).

If what you ordered is truly an Inspiron 5576, you got a different model than you ordered.  The 5576 model has an AMD APU - not an Intel CPU.

Go into system setup (F2 at powerup) and check to see exactly which model you have.

There is a 5577 model that has an Intel CPU -- but it comes with an nVidia GPU, not AMD.

December 11th, 2017 09:00

Yeah, I did go into the system setup and it only listed the Intel chip. Looks like I'll have to do a return.

December 11th, 2017 09:00

Oops, I think I misread your comment, ejn63. The host processor on this system is an Intel i5. That's what I intended to purchase and that's what my system seemingly has. The problem is strictly related to the GPU.

The system is supposed to include an AMD m445 as a co-processor to Intel's integrated graphics chip. The problem is that as far as I can tell, that co-processor is not present in my system. It doesn't show up in any form under the device manager, system setup (BIOS), or other tools that normally can identify a co-processor like DXDiag or GPU-Z. AMD also has a tool that should detect the chip but fails to do so. Everything shows that the computer only has the integrated chip

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 11th, 2017 10:00

There are two models that are similar -- the one with AMD video has an AMD APU (CPU+GPU together in one die) and another with an Intel CPU that has nVidia 1050 graphics.  See here:

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15-5576-gaming-laptop

(there are separate links for AMD and Intel).

If your system has different specs (say it was purchased at retail, or other than from Dell ) -- it may be an older model, but I don't see any current systems in this series that have BOTH and Intel CPU and an AMD GPU.

There is an older series of Inspiron 5567 models that DID have seventh-generation Core i7 CPUs AND the option of AMD video - these are NOT the current models that list as "gaming" notebooks -- if what you have is one of these, then you have the one with integrated video only - no discrete GPU.  Check with the seller of the system to verify what you purchased.

December 11th, 2017 11:00

This unit was just purchased a couple weeks ago directly from Dell through their website. Maybe I'll see if I can find the website for the model later, but the order details and system configuration for the unit both very clearly list an i5-7200U processor and an AMD Radeon R7 M445 graphics card (co-processor, whatever).

No Events found!