Sumni
1 Nickel

Del Inspiron 5559 modum slow

Brand new, less than a month old.

Very slow download/upload. Using Ethernet connection, ran speedtest.net and it shows almost 20% slower than my other laptop (other laptop not connected at same time. Ran separately after disconnecting Dell.

Very frustrated with Dell. Phone support not helpful and rude.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Mary G
5 Iridium

RE: Del Inspiron 5559 modum slow

The computer doesn't have a modem. That is part of your Internet Service Provider hardware. You must mean your network connection. Laptop should use a wireless connection to a wireless router, not ethernet. But the connection speed is controlled by your ISP and other hardware--modem, router. Contact your provider to see how to set up your wireless router with your laptops. If you don't have a wireless router buy one since all your hardware can be online at the same time. The modem from your provider connects to the router and the computers access the Internet thru your wireless router.  

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

You have to be careful when trying to compare network speeds with different computers.  If you are using Ethernet with equal capabilities, there are other things, like anti-virus or firewall utilities which could be involved.

The speeds of computer networks is usually much faster than the capability of an ISP.  If you are seeing a 20% difference, it may be the interaction between the new system and your router, as was mentioned.  I have gotten several firmware updates on my ASUS router in the last couple of years so you might check yours.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Sumni
1 Nickel

Brand new router from provider.

. Brand new computer.

Computer slow performance in booting, opening files, etc. And  now Internet access so slow can't be used.. Shouldnt be a problem to use ethernet on laltop. I use ethernet when home and wireless when traveling. Slow either way.

I compare to other computers to make sure Internet working. Seems too coincidental that laptop is slow in every way I attempt to use.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
4 Ruthenium

emoticon.BigSmile.title

I've seen your other thread in the Disk Drives.

Inspiron 15 5559 SMART short test timed out - Disk Drives ...

Please run diagnostic tool to check the hard drive on the system by following steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it. After quick tests, click on hard drive and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

cli

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
4 Ruthenium

Any updates Sumni ? Diagnostic pick up any error code such as 2000-0142 ?

0 Kudos
Sumni
1 Nickel

no error code, i nfact it says everything passed.

I just ran another speed test side by side with my laptops. My old laptop gets 81 DL and 11 upload - this new Dell gets 37 DL and 6 upload. That is less than half the speed. Besides running slow on boot and running slow to open programs it slows down internet access.

What bloatware is on this machine that is causing this. This is unacceptable for a new machine.

0 Kudos
Sumni
1 Nickel

And I ran the test you suggested, I have run system analysis and passed Ran defrag analysis and only at 2% Ran CC Cleaner as was recommended by another Dell post. Very frustrating.

Reading other reviews, seems that others having same problem.

Dell built and sold an expensive paperweight.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
4 Ruthenium

I have a few suggestions:

*If McAfee is on the system, uninstall it and go with Windows Defender

* Download and run the free version of Malwarebytes - Official Site. It's the best for getting rid of nasty malwares that slow down and causes a lot of problems on a computer.

* Check and see if all the latest windows updates are installed on system: Type Check For Updates onto [Cortana] search box, and then select "Check for updates. Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. Also check "Update History' for any failed updates.  

* If you're using the Ethernet (Network), make sure WIFI is turn off: Type Settings onto search box, Network & Internet, turn off WIFI.

* Update Chipset, Network (Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Controller) and Video drivers on the system. Run the Guide Me option in your Dell Product Support page. It will automatically detect driver updates for your system. Please follow steps to run Guide Me option in link below;

How to Find Drivers and Update Them (Official Dell Tech ...

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
4 Ruthenium

If none of troubleshooting steps above didn't fix the slowness problem:

* Type Troubleshooting onto search box, click "View All", and then Network Adapter troubleshooter. Run Window Update, System Maintenance, windows Store Apps, Incoming Connections and Internet Connections as well.

* Disable some of the programs running in Startup(Task Manager)

* When the computer is running slow or crashing a lot, use the Processes tab(Task Manager) to identify which programs are consuming more Memory, Disk and Network in real time. Please click link below:

How To Use Task Manager (Official Dell Tech Support ...

Keep an eye out for the CPU and Disk - Task Manager) being around 100%. This will cause the PC to slow down or even crash.

0 Kudos