Highlighted
Kon778
1 Copper

Deleted my Linux partition and can't recover my windows 8 bootloader!

Hi, this is my first forum post as I couldn't find any information on my exact problem. So as stated previously I deleted my linux partition which deleted my windows bootloader. I thought it would be as simple as putting in a windows recovery cd and repairing the bootloader with bootrec.exe but I've run into a number of problems.

First of all, my windows 8 came pre-installed on my inspiron 7720 under the UEFI file system but i installed linux in legacy boot mode (because I couldn't boot from CD in UEFI). Since I deleted my linux partition when the computer boots in UEFI mode I get an error message "Windows failed to start. File: \BCD, the boot configuration Data doesn't contain valid information for an operating system. It tells me to enter a windows installation disk and click repair computer. However, I don't have the option to boot from a CD in UEFI boot mode so I have to change it to legacy to boot the repair CD. This is where I run into a problem. When I boot the repair CD in legacy mode it cant locate any image of the windows 8 installation. Also when i run the bootrec.exe /FixMbr and bootrec.exe /FixBoot it comes back with operation successful however I get the same Boot error when I try to boot into Windows 8.

I hope this makes sense and I'll do my best to give you anymore relevant information needed.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos