Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2012 22:00

Dell 1545 Will Not Boot Into Recovery Partition

Could someone boot into recovery mode, launch the command prompt and run the following, bcdedit /enum all and post it? I have a friends Dell 1545 and I think the Boot Manager/Loader is screwed up b/c it is not booting into recovery. I can boot to the Windows 7 OS, but we need to do a factory restore because of a nasty virus she has. I would greatly appreciate it!

2 Posts

March 14th, 2013 21:00

lol, I've misspelled that word (genious instead genius), my english is not that good, sorry. Anyway, I've been working as  a TI professional (not even close to be good as you)  for about 20 years, and I'm used to solve some hard issues. This one was driving me crazy, mostly because the laptop isn't mine but a costumer's.

Your post was the golden mine on my case, so you really deserve a big THANK YOU! Wish you all the best, you are GREAT!

My kindly best regards,

Ulisses - b2b - Brazil, with a costumer who is going to be very happy when she receives her laptop with original factory system working properly.

1 Message

March 20th, 2013 07:00

I am having trouble and could use a bit more guidance. I have downloaded and made the WINPE disc using ImageBurn on an WIn XP machine, when I boot the 1545 (Vista HP and I have no idea if it is 32 or 64bit version)  it loads the Windows files, then takes me to the Boot Manager. File "windows\system32\boot\winload.exe" is missing or corrupt. Status: 0xc0000001. Pressing continue only gets me to the second page of the Boot Manager, Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] or Windows Memory Diagnostics are my only choices. I can get no further. This is a laptop that was given to a friend, because it does not function. Windows will load to the user account login, but the password will not function. You cannot get beyond this. I checked the bios setup and there are no admin or other system passwords present, all are open and unassigned. Ran the diagnostics and all is fine. I cannot boot the machine into anything since it always comes to this login and we cannot get any further. Since I have no restore discs, I was hoping this method would allow me to wipe the system and restore to original setup. I can only assume the original owner picked up some nasty piece of malware that is preventing all my attempts. The only OS discs I have are Win Xp. Have I missed something on the instructions? Your help would be most appreciated.

1 Message

April 11th, 2013 17:00

Congrats to boogiemuster and gibb99 (and others) - excellent info guys!

I was trying to restore a Dell M5040 and the above info got me tantalisingly close to success, but imagex kept giving me an error write after it said 100% Applying Progress.

I discovered that c:\dell\image directory actually contained three image files factory.wim, factory2.wim and factory3.wim. To make it work I needed to modify the IMAGEX command as follows;

imagex /ref c:\dell\image\factory*.wim /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 D:

This forces imagex to recognise that there are three linked files to restore. Instead of 8 mins the first time I did it, this new command took over 19mins to complete with no errors!

(I found this info at hardforum.com/showthread.php )

Hope that helps somebody.

June 3rd, 2013 05:00

Just to add my experience - and thanks for the help boogiemunster, it was invaluable.

I had the same issues, the recovery process from Dell's datasafe backup utility just would not make the laptop boot from the recovery partition. Even though I could see it in disk admin, and it was "Active" according to that too. Anyway I did as boogiemunster suggested and booted from the WinPE ISO

My partitions were then C: for the recovery, D: for my old D: drive (with just files on it) and E: for my old C drive.

I ran imagex /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 e: and it ran for a little while, complained, then choked over lack of disk space. So I ran diskpart to format the old C drive :-

• diskpart
  • select disk 0
  • select part 3
  • format fs=ntfs quick
  • exit
Then I repeated the imagex which ran through a lot quicker all the way to 100% HOWEVER it choked at the end with "Error restoring image, specified file did not contain a resource selection (error= 1812)"
So after a little more googling I found reference to an error when the factory image is split into more than 1 file, as was my case when looking in c:\dell\image - I could see factory.wim and factory2.wim. So I needed to change the imagex command line as follows :
imagex /ref c:\dell\image\factory2.wim /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 e:
Then everything has gone hunky dory!

1 Message

December 15th, 2013 17:00

Thank you very much for the information. It recovered my ability to see the Dell recovery partition. And, appears to have worked. My drive letters were different than the drive letters in the text.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2014 14:00

Thanks your a lifesaver

1 Message

March 24th, 2014 11:00

Hi all!  I'm writing this almost 2 years after you've all moved on so I hope someone checks this from time to time.  I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 1545 that likes to "not boot" when the power button is pressed, so I am replacing the HD but can't get an OS to load!

I partitioned the new HD just like the old one and copied the factory.wim (image file) from old D: to new D: but when I apply the image I get errors like "ntldr is missing" or "not a bootable disk".

This originally had Vista Home on it which I don't have, but I have a few old original XP disks laying around.  When I try to install XP I get a blue screen of death right before it actually starts installing.  I've tried 3 different disks, all of them have same result.

1 Message

May 7th, 2014 07:00

Do you have any x64 versions of this winpe? the dell computer i am attempting to repair has a 64-bit system, not a 32-bit. If so, please post it so that I could use it. Thank you very much for your assistance.

August 22nd, 2014 16:00

You do not need a x64 bit version of the WINPE.  All you are using that for is to restore the factory image.  If the factory image is x64, then that is what will be installed.  So using what I posted should work with no issues.

August 22nd, 2014 16:00

greazydeigo,

Sorry for the several month delay, but let me know if you are still working on this and I will look into providing additional information.

1 Message

January 24th, 2015 16:00

Could not boot the recovery disk either.  Upon receipt of the laptop (alienware, dell) I did create the dell Lap Recover USB thumb drive.  So, start recover sequence by plugging in the thumb drive, restarting the laptop, pushing F12 for boot options and booting from USB.   Hopefully,  you did create the recovery DVD or USB media at purchase.

1 Message

July 28th, 2015 10:00

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but boogiemunster your directions were right on the money (providing the recovery partition is still there.  Worked like a charm for me.

January 6th, 2016 13:00

I needed to revert from Windows 10 back to Windows 7 after 5 months of running the "upgrade". Microsoft says you can only revert back if it has been less than 30 days since the upgrade.

After that time has expired, the default recovery options are lost (deleted or modified not sure). Windows 10 would not respond to F8 commands during boot-up or the DELL Ctrl+F11 or Alt+F11 or Alt+F10. However, I could see the RECOVERY partition under disk management, which was marked as ACTIVE.

Very frustrating.

This solution worked perfectly on a clients INSPIRON ONE 2320 to downgrade from Windows 10.

Thanks for your sacrifice of time BOOGIEMUNSTER!

January 6th, 2016 16:00

3 years later and we are still rolling!!  I LOVE IT and all my pleasure!

January 8th, 2016 04:00

@boogiemunster

You are such a GOLDMINE

I was so frustrated with this issue but finally I found your instruction. Thanks so much man. You are a great resource for this tech community.

No Events found!